PDA

View Full Version : grey squirrels

4pointer
09-28-2006, 07:58 PM
any one know of any public land areas in the lower mainland where I could go hunting for grey squirrels?

huntcoop
09-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Stanley Park!

Beaverhunter
09-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Shouldn't this be in the joke section.:roll:

browningboy
09-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Hazelnut farm in Fort Langley, why hunt Squirrels:|

kishman
09-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Hazelnut farm in Fort Langley, why hunt Squirrels:|

Maybe cause Grey Squirrels are an introduced/invasive species in BC. Seems like a good enough reason to me, besides my cousins' in the states swear by Tree Rat stew:| :| :|

RBH
09-30-2006, 07:00 PM
my cousins' in the states swear by Tree Rat stew:| :| :|

Check any older north american cook book, like the well-fingered one in your mom's cupboard, and you will see recipes for squirrel stew. Mind you, you could probably substitute any kind of meat and fill in the recipe name:
_________ Stew. Come to think of it, that tomcat in my neighbourhood is a real nuisance....

huntwriter
09-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Maybe cause Grey Squirrels are an introduced/invasive species in BC. Seems like a good enough reason to me, besides my cousins' in the states swear by Tree Rat stew:| :| :|
Well observed kishman. Squirrel hunting is fun and not only provides extra time in the outdoors and close to home, but it is also a good management tool to keep the squrrel (over)population down. And yes, squirrel stew tastes very nice.
I look out the kitchen window and see at least 20 squirrels in the walnut tree, every day and sometimes more.:mad: Yet we can do nothing about it because it is in Langley where you can't fire a gun even a air rifle. You can't trap them either unless you call in an "expert" that will do it for you for a fee.

RBH
09-30-2006, 07:14 PM
You can't trap them either

Don't you mean, 'you're not *supposed* to trap them....':twisted:

As for the rat tree stew, all the older north american cook books have recipes for Squirrel Stew. Makes my mouth water to think about it!

The Hermit
09-30-2006, 07:19 PM
I have so many squirrels here it is a real problem... I have an air rifle... will try the stew and report back. How many do I need for a good feed?

Ozone
09-30-2006, 07:48 PM
How many do I need for a good feed?

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir3.html

Squirrel Stew
~ 3 squirrels, cleaned and cut up
~ 1/4 cup all purpose flour
~ 1 teaspoon salt
~ 1/2 teaspoon pepper
~ 2 slices bacon
~ 2 tablespoons butter
~ 5 cups of water
~ 1 - 28 oz can whole tomatoes
~ 1 chopped onion
~ 1 heaping tablespoon of brown sugar
~ 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
~ 1 - 10 oz package frozen lima beans
~ 1 cup frozen corn
~ 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
Combine 1/4 cup flour, salt and pepper. Coat the squirrel pieces.

In a Dutch oven, combine bacon and butter over medium heat until butter melts. Add squirrel and brown.

Add water, tomatoes, onion and brown sugar and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Remove squirrel pieces and let cool. Remove meat from bones.

Add meat, potatoes, beans and corn to Dutch oven. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and cover. Simmer until potatoes are tender.

Mix 3 tablespoons of flour with 3 tablespoons of cold water, then stir into stew. Heat to boiling.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, bubbly.

Serve with warm rolls and enjoy!

kishman
09-30-2006, 09:52 PM
Have you tried this recipe out yourself Ozone? Or are you looking for a guinea-squirrel:lol: :lol: :lol: ? You know I never seem to see Grey/Black squrrels outside of populated areas'. Maybe they're smarter than they look....

Ozone
10-01-2006, 06:20 AM
I have never tried it as we dont have the Greys up island (yet). I would be more than willing to try it though. If you look on that website they have some "interesting" recipes.

4pointer
10-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Once you try grey squirrels, you'll be shooting them all. Taste great and provide an extended hunting season and also practice.

Bow Walker
10-02-2006, 08:52 AM
:mad: Yet we can do nothing about it because it is in Langley where you can't fire a gun even a air rifle. You can't trap them either unless you call in an "expert" that will do it for you for a fee.
Ever play around with a slingshot when you were a kid? I'll bet you could get more than close enough to that walnut tree:evil: :twisted:

Great practice for bowhunting as well:smile:

huntwriter
10-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Ever play around with a slingshot when you were a kid? I'll bet you could get more than close enough to that walnut tree:evil: :twisted:

Great practice for bowhunting as well:smile:

I am very good with the sling shot.

But it's against the law to kill them here in the township.:wink: