PDA

View Full Version : One more post.....Scopes?

PGKris
09-28-2006, 07:11 PM
OK if Gus will part with his new Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 I'm just gonna buy that. Hopefully his woman will make him buy her a ring and he'll have to pawn the scope off on me. :lol: There ya go, another reason to sell it to me.

But if he doesn't, I need a scope for the gun I will be buying. I want some mega magnification if i can get it. 3-9x40 is about the minimum I will go. I would like to get something with at least 14x if I can.
WillyQ, in your pop's bear video, I seem to recall seeing your Remmy. What scope was on it there? Looks pretty sharp.
One more time (I hope, hell wait till I start planning this hunt lol), let me have it!
Thanks
Kris

PGKris
09-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Oh ya, I'll spend up to $300 MAX.

Fisher-Dude
09-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Second hand Leupold. Don't settle for less. By the way, you don't need/want more than a 3x9x40. A 6x18 will suck in the bush because you won't be able to find your animal fast enough with that small field of view. You will find most of your shots will be under 100 yards, so a lower power at the bottom end of your variable is better. Crank it up when you have the longer shots.

Will
09-28-2006, 08:07 PM
I want some mega magnification if i can get it. 3-9x40 is about the minimum I will go. I would like to get something with at least 14x if I can.
Each to thier own but IMO assuming this is going on your soon to be owned 270 for Big Game hunting I'd stick to the Lower magnification scopes like 10x and less.....Save the High Mag ones for Varmint hunting:|

I've had high mag scopes on alot of rifles but see NO point in thier use on a BG rifle ? They are at times more of a Hindrance then a benefit.

Oh ya, I'll spend up to $300 MAX.
Given your budget I'd look at picking up a used Leupold Vari XII 3-9x40 or you may even find a newer VXII 3-9x40 around at that price as well.
Plenty of Scope for any Hunting Rifle 8-)

PGKris
09-28-2006, 08:15 PM
3-9x40 (or 50) is a favoured one. I'm not against the lower power, welcome to suggestions. And I'm still not sure I want to add that much weight to my gun. Gus says it's heavy.
Keep it comin

JMac
09-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Just my 2 cents. Bushnell 3200 Elite in 3-9X40 or 3-10X40. Know lots of people that have had good luck with them. My 3-10X40 fogged on me this year so I got a 4200 elite in 3-9X40. I agree with the others on big magnification. The higher the power the less field of view you'll have. Hunt with it on low and crank it up later if you have time. If you can't see it on 9 or 10 you best stay at home.
Good Luck

ryanb
09-28-2006, 08:59 PM
I'll sell you my 3200 elite 3-9x40 for $175 shipped to your door.

todbartell
09-28-2006, 09:09 PM
check Ebay for used Leupold VXII 3-9x40s for under $300 canadian

Gus
09-28-2006, 09:22 PM
First of all, there is no way in hell your getting a scope off me for a friggin ring. second of all, the weight with a 50 mm isnt much different then a 40, I was just saying my gun was kinda of heavy, and that just added to it, so dont worry about that part.
To put a scope on your main hunting rifle, I'd keep the power fairly low because you'll be dealing with all kind of shot distances (i'm a real big advocate of a 3x9).
I'm also a firm believer that when it comes to optics, a rule of thumb i go buy is you should pay at least what you paid for the gun, if not more. I know i dont always follow it myself, but if you want a serious hunting rifle and especiall if your up in the hills chasing goats, you may have to bite the bullet and pay the price for a good scope.

p.s. pay attention to Firebird there, VX-II, $300 bucks would definitly get my vote.

lakelander
09-28-2006, 10:05 PM
There is only one scope for me...Swarovski 6X42. If you take a look thru this scope you will know what I mean. I have high quality binos (Minolta 10X50) but even they don't match my scope's low light performance. Great to see those tines in low light against branches.....:lol:

They are lower priced than Zeis but better value.

FullDraw
09-28-2006, 10:56 PM
I would go the leupold myself. I picked my VX II 3x9x50 on ebay. A 50 is a pain to mount I would go a 40 if it was me, you don't realy need a 50 they just look cool. I was talking to a old timer at the range last Sunday he wondered why we spend all the money on a 3x9 or what ever when you walk around in the bush with it set on 4 power,you rarely have time to adjust it when you spot a animal, So why not buy a fixed 4 power. I thought he had a valid point.

FullDraw

Gateholio
09-28-2006, 11:02 PM
I use a 2.5-8x36 Vari X III on several of my rifes, and never feel underscoped.

I'd look for something like that, like Firebird said, a VXII on ebay......

todbartell
09-28-2006, 11:21 PM
A 50 is a pain to mount I would go a 40 if it was me, you don't realy need a 50 they just look cool.
Id argue that :|

FullDraw
09-28-2006, 11:36 PM
What would you argue FireBird? They look cool or the mounting part?

FullDraw

todbartell
09-28-2006, 11:45 PM
that they look cool. I really just dont see their appeal, especially to the eye. they sit so high off the gun that they detract any good looking aspects from the rifle

JMO 8)

FullDraw
09-29-2006, 12:14 AM
Yep they sit high and people at the range comment on the scope not the gun so I do see your point. Plus it's bulky when road hunting in our Trackers.But I haven't had any troubles with my set up and the scope is a hot dam in low light conditions plus I wanted a bigger scope than everyone else (big ego - no brains), My next rifle scope will be a 40 instead, It's all the scope a guy needs around B.C.

What's with all the Meth talk, you'll be selling all those nice Rem's soon to scratch that itch, are you sure your not from Cental Surrey not Central B.C.? (LOL)

FullDraw

willyqbc
09-29-2006, 12:43 AM
pgkris... i have a 3-9X40 VXI on my remmy.

Chris

Fred
09-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Take a look at the Bushnell Dusk to Dawn Series. The 4x12x40 or 3x9x40 are well within your budget and a decent scope. My 300Wby hasn't killed my D2D 3x9x40BDC yet. Fred

Bullmoose
09-29-2006, 11:19 AM
If you're looking at scopes keep two three things in mind, first an 8 or 9 power will show you a lot more than most hunting rifles will safely reach and as for makes the best scope is without a doubt the Swarovski, and the best scope for the money is a Leupold. I've had a number of Leupold scopes and a spotting scope and they've all been excellant with no problems

wetcoaster
09-29-2006, 11:49 AM
I just bought a Lupy Rifleman in 3 -9x40 and love it I don't think there is a better scope at the price point you are looking at if you are buying new. It is really just the old vari-x2 with a new name. Its a gold ring scope with lupy lifetime warranty (best in the business), has high eye relief, a generous eye box, mounts really low and is lighter than other scopes in it's class. I bought it new for under 300$ with tax. Bushnell warranty support scares me, just do a search on posts and see how long some guys wait to hear back about their scopes from bushnell.

In terms of magnification I agree with everyone else, high magnification isn't practical for 99% of big game hunting. It limits field of view and makes offhand, moving or follow up shots difficult. It is nice to have the option to go up to 9X especially on a longer range cartridge like the .270 or 7mm rem mag but you will rarely use it. Think about it an animal at 900 yards will appear as though it is at 100 yards do you really need more magnification than this? The 50mm objectives require higher mounting go with the standard 40 we can't shoot after dark anyways. Invest the money you will save in a really good pair of binos, a rangefinder or some other toy.

browningboy
09-29-2006, 09:41 PM
I have a zuiss on my 338 and has never let me down, its great in all conditions as well as never fogged up (yet). It has a great field of view and hands down my scope of choice, only problem is the initial purchase, but once your past that it'll treat you good.

PGKris
09-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Zeiss and Swarovski are out. Too much money. Thanks for the input i will stick with the 3-9x40 (or 50) whichever comes my way the cheapest. I'm leaning to the Bushnell Banner D2D or a second hand Leopold. Thanks guys
Kris

RBH
09-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Don't overlook the 2x7x32 - nice, compact scope. I have a leopold 3x9x40 and it is excellent. Worth spending a bit more than $300 if you have to -- a really good scope will last you many years and you will just end up replacing a cheap one (or at least lusting for a better one). Cheap doesn't necessarily mean the best value. (At least, that's what I tell myself when I need to justify a bit more than the budget....)

The Hermit
09-30-2006, 07:58 PM
I'll sell you my 3200 elite 3-9x40 for $175 shipped to your door.

Does it have the RainGuard protection? What reticle pattern does it have? (cross hairs or??) Come with base & rings? Take offers?

If he doesn't want it give me a call... 250-686-6997 in Victoria.