PDA

View Full Version : First moose! Team Effort!

Rhys
09-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Got back last night from hunting in 7-09, it was so hot for the first 2 days nothing moving at. Finally Sunday night it rained and early Monday morning we ran into this guy crossing the road from a swamp on the right to swamp on the left.

We were out of the truck in an instant and I could see him still, Tim has a top loader and was still plugging rounds in, I have a detachable mag so I was loaded as soon as I stepped out of the truck. All I had was a big moose butt to aim at, so I pulled out my cow call and gently let out a call, that got him to stop and take a step to his left to look back, it gave me a good enough shot double lung from the left side up towards the right front leg and it hit him hard he took off behind a bush and we lost sight of him but we could hear him breathing hard through the lung wounds, lots of wheezing and gurgling, we decided to wait a short time, both me and my brother in law Tim up on the road super happy but hoping he didn't get up.

Well he got up and poked his head out of the bush to look at us I got a little too excited, I probably should have waited a bit more but I put a shot clear through his neck and he let out a howl and moved off to his left where we could not see him but we heard him fall, we gave him another 10 minutes got our rain gear on and headed into the swamp. We followed the blood trail and Tim spotted him lying down in some deeper brush so we just waited, he was breathing hard still and wheezing and gurgling worse all the time. I motioned to Tim that since we did not have an open shot that we should wait since it was obvious he was dying quickly. Just then something spooked him and he got up, Tim got off a good broadside shot through the lungs again and he went down hard but still waving his head around, I came up to him and stuck one through his head to finish it off.

What an amazing experience, it all happened so quickly, after 2 days of intense heat with nothing but disappointment we finally had an animal down. We set about gutting him, then winched him out of the bush swamp with the help of my uncle and my trusty warn 8000lb winch with ease. Got him to camp, quartered him and skinned him and the rest is history, it was hot so we hung him for 2 days in the shade then hightailed it home. Here are some pics, more to come.

Sorry for the writing, I'm still pretty excited.

We learned a lot and had a few good days hunting; I am still over the moon.

Thanks to Mike from Dimassio’s meat, we decided to give him a try, he met us out at the shop at about 11pm when we got back to the lower mainland so we could get it into the cooler right away, very accommodating of him and probably helped save some of that meat.

The moose weighed in at 316lbs on the hook, skinned and quartered so he is just a little guy but he will be good eating for our families.

Any idea how much he would have weighed whole? 550-600lbs?

I love the color of his rack, nice dark brown-red.

Rhys

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/tim_moose.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Rhys_moose.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/moose3.jpg

PGKris
09-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Good show. 7-09? Where bouts you get hiim?

Rhys
09-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Heading out of town on the road that goes to Jasper, Turn right just before the Willow River Bridge I believe it is called England Creek??

Rhys

Beaverhunter
09-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Nice one Rhys

PGKris
09-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Good deal. Never been down that road but you sure picked a good area. Moose all over the Willow.
Nice job, whats the story?

mrdoog
09-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Well done!

lip_ripper00
09-28-2006, 08:59 PM
glad you connected. good job,:lol: good eating I bet!!

Leaseman
09-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Way to go Rhys...feels good doesn't it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Ride
09-29-2006, 06:59 AM
Good job, 7-09 is a good area. The first is always a good one.

rocksteady
09-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Congrats...Should be good eating...

Steeleco
09-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Well done guys. This first one is always the sweetest.

willyqbc
09-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Any idea how much he would have weighed whole?

Generally you will lose 40% of weight for hide, head, bottom of legs and guts. So that would put your guy around 440lbs on the hoof...probably a 3 year old...and I can tell you from experience that if you did all your field dressing chores well you are gonna have some of the best eating meat thereis off that guy!!

Good going, congrats!
Chris

Tank
09-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Heading out of town on the road that goes to Jasper, Turn right just before the Willow River Bridge I believe it is called England Creek??

Rhys

I was just there last saturday! ...must have missed that guy:lol:

nice bull, congrats!

Fred
09-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Those spike forks are great eating Rhys and Mike really is a great guy. Fred

Gus
09-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Nice piece of work boys, he'll be good eating.

Elkhound
09-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Good eating bull. Still waiting for my first

cowboy-up69
09-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Thats a nice bull dude!

CanuckShooter
09-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Good job....a nice prime eating bull !!

moosecaller
09-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Were you camped at the gravel pit at km 2? I think I saw you good job on the nice lil moose!

Rhys
09-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Were you camped at the gravel pit at km 2? I think I saw you good job on the nice lil moose!

Yeah we were there , did we talk to you? We saw a bunch of people up there, were you the guy in the car who's buddy was going to shoot me that night I was walking back to the clear cut? :P

Rhys

Barracuda
09-29-2006, 12:10 PM
congrats Rhys !!!!
Hey everybody Moose dinner at Rhys,s place :lol:

Bigbuckadams
09-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Good Job!!! Congrats!!

moosecaller
09-29-2006, 01:13 PM
I was the fella standing on the corner calling when you drove in with your trailer. I had the girlfriend with me. You must have heard me calling when you were setting up camp. Did you hear the two bulls answering back from the west of you the one fella was quite vocal, he was crashing a bit as well.

Rhys
09-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Oh yes, I remember now, we heard you calling and them answering but it was pretty slow other then that, so hot and dry not much moving. Did you have any luck?

Rhys

Jelvis
09-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Nice bulls guys you did good thats what were lookin for, Congratulations are in order and good to see the photos

3kills
09-29-2006, 04:56 PM
excellent job as for live weight i think chris is pretty close on it give or take a few percent....

Rhys
09-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Cool! Can't wait to get him back and try out some sausage and pepperoni.

Rhys

ohno
09-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Good job bagging a nice animal.

The first is always the one you will remember.