PDA

View Full Version : Question about doing a euro mount

Iron Sighted
12-03-2011, 09:04 PM
So I am in the midst of making a euro mount with my first deer. I have pretty much cleaned all the skin, meat, brain matter, etc. off the skull, now I need to remove the last tiny little bits of flesh and bleach the skull.

After doing some reading online it seems that 40% peroxide is the stuff I should be using to whiten the skull with, but all I seem to see on store shelves is 3% peroxide. Can someone tell me where I can find some of the stronger 40% stuff(if this is indeed what I should be using), and preferably where I can find it for the least amount of money?

Given that I've never done this before, I'd be grateful for any suggestions from those with more experience if there are any useful tips I should know about.

Thanks

Ddog
12-03-2011, 09:10 PM
you have to ask for it over the counter.

E.V.B.H.
12-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Go to a hair saloon or taxidermist. 25 dollars should get enough for 6 or more skulls.

Whonnock Boy
12-03-2011, 09:30 PM
You find the good stuff at the local hydroponic shop. I think it is about $15 for a 1 litre jug. I mixed it with some perming powder. At least I think that is what I used. The local beauty salon can find you some bulk cheap stuff. Make a paste, cover the head, and wrap the skull in saran wrap. Seemed to work pretty good for me. When it dries out you can put some more on over top of the first layer.

Doe
12-03-2011, 09:34 PM
I have a hair salon, use tons of the stuff on a daily basis.
40 volume peroxide runs about 20$ a litre. Easy to get, just sweet talk your hairdresser.

12 Gauge Slugger
12-04-2011, 05:03 PM
The stuff whonnock boy is referring to is called magnesium carbonate. Problem with whitening the skull that way is that it doesn't fully permeate the brain cavity. As mentioned a hydroponic shop is the way to go, my old supplier had 29% and then mix with water at about a 50% ratio. If you soak it it'll permeate the whole skull and those tiny pieces of flesh are much easier to remove. There's a trick to actually removing the flesh a hell of a lot easier too, but if everyone knew that taxi's couldn't charge as much lol Though to be fair it does take several hours

BiG Boar
12-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Did you boil the skull yet?

krazy
12-04-2011, 05:31 PM
London Drugs has what you need ... and it's cheap too! :)

Here's a how to for your reference: http://flyguys.net/blog/hunting-information/diy-low-cost-european-deer-skull-mount

lawlu
12-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Believe or not, I used oxy clean, laundry soap and water to scrub the skull (that was all I had in the cupboard). I then poured this mix into the pot and boiled the skull until the meat was easy to remove. To my surprise, it came out fairly white! A buddy of mine came over and asked how I got the skull so white and I told him my discovery... too funny.