PDA

View Full Version : blacktail rut

bagman
12-03-2011, 08:34 PM
cant seem to get a consistent answer on the timing of the blacktail rut in the fraser valley area. does the warmer climate out here play a part in that? ive been hunting some private land quite hard since the opener and i have proof of some very decent sheds but the last time i saw a buck out there they were in velvet just before the opener. theyve been nocturnal ever since! ive seen no evidence of typical rut activity. all i saw today were 6 does, 4 of them in a group. no bucks all day. huge piles of lumpy sign everywhere. only a week and a bit left to come up with a plan. any advice would be welcome

Shooter
12-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Maybe you hit them too hard too early and pushed them nocturnal?

BlacktailStalker
12-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Shot my best buck Nov.29 balls deep in a doe... He was layered in 2" of fat and was just starting to rut, likely held up high til he was forced down and bumped into the second estrous IMO... the variables and assumptions are endless, thats what makes it so fun !
The best you can do is just be out there, if you feel unlucky remember even a blind squirrel finds a nut :biggrin:

Ddog
12-03-2011, 09:14 PM
yes, but the majority of the blackmails should be way past now, i hunted the fraser valley for years and the peak was always late oct and early Nov, the secondary was mid to late Nov, chances are that they are about done, but there may be a few unbread does around.
whats lumpy sign by the way?

pathfinder55
12-03-2011, 11:13 PM
I found a large fresh rub on my driveway yesterday, on Sumas Mtn.......Peter

5 spike
12-04-2011, 05:49 AM
Shot my best buck Nov.29 balls deep in a doe... He was layered in 2" of fat and was just starting to rut, likely held up high til he was forced down and bumped into the second estrous IMO... the variables and assumptions are endless, thats what makes it so fun !
The best you can do is just be out there, if you feel unlucky remember even a blind squirrel finds a nut :biggrin:

This answer is so true. well put bts.

Sitkaspruce
12-04-2011, 08:33 AM
The buck we got yesterday was stinking bad and on the move at 11:30, he was still looking for love. That was over here on the Island.

All deer rut at the same time, deer do not rut earlier in one place and later in an another. Yes, they will rut a bit earlier the further north you go and later the further south you go, but there is no difference between the ML and the Island. It is caused by the amount of daylight and the timing is set so that the does have their fawns in that 2-3 week period in the spring where it ensures the best survival before winter. Also, the does determine when to breed and when they are done, the bucks will move on. So maybe the does you are seeing have already been done.

The peak is past, but they will still go at it for a bit longer. Saw fresh rubs yesterday as well.

Keep at it, you cannot get one sitting at home.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

west250
12-04-2011, 08:54 AM
"All deer rut at the same time, deer do not rut earlier in one place and later in an another."

I have to respectfully disagree with that comment...

sarg
12-04-2011, 10:44 AM
"All deer rut at the same time, deer do not rut earlier in one place and later in an another."

I have to respectfully disagree with that comment...
why????? not to be a dick just coisie to ur answer.

lilhoss
12-04-2011, 11:29 AM
"On-average", Pre-rut will take place as early as mid to late Oct.Smaller bucks chasing the does,sparring,rubs,etc.Actual breeding will take place mid -November to early Dec.Lots of variables for sure,cold weather,storms,etc.Some breeding can occur earlier.Fact is, most fawns are born mid-May to late,and early June.Some can be a little later,but that is most likely due to a late breeding doe.If you are serious about a big one,your best chances are 1st week of Nov,until the closing,which here on the Island is Dec/10.I have seen bucks seriously chasing does,at sea level,more frequently,and earlier on,but think that is due only to the population and proximity to each other,Actual breeding is just that.You all should know by now,thinking about sex and actually getting it are at opposite ends of the scale!:-D

west250
12-04-2011, 02:12 PM
why????? not to be a dick just coisie to ur answer.

Well, in my limited experience I believe that the does start to come in on the south island close to sea level earlier than the ones at higher elevation north island locations.

This year for example the first buck I tagged was on a doe in standing heat (tail up, standing and ready to go), he'd been rubbing lots and their was lots of bark on his antlers. The date was November 5

#2 buck was taken a couple of days ago and was rubbing lots as well and there were plenty of fresh rubs in the area - there were at least 2 bucks working that area because I seen his big brother just out of range 10 minutes before and lost him on the side hill. They were both on the move in the middle of the day with their heads down, smelling their surroundings..

We've been in that area around Remembrance day and they were just starting to rub. By the time Remembrance Day hits, the lower island rut seems to be tapering off.

It also makes sense to me that the dropping of fawns would be timed somewhat to the growing seasons of a general area, and the climates of 1-1 and 1-12 are quite different.

I would like to hear from north island guys what date they first see does in standing heat...

BlacktailStalker
12-04-2011, 02:19 PM
West250 I agree and see the exact same.
Not just north to south plays a role but elevation plays a HUGE part and in timing.

sarg
12-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Well, in my limited experience I believe that the does start to come in on the south island close to sea level earlier than the ones at higher elevation north island locations.

This year for example the first buck I tagged was on a doe in standing heat (tail up, standing and ready to go), he'd been rubbing lots and their was lots of bark on his antlers. The date was November 5

#2 buck was taken a couple of days ago and was rubbing lots as well and there were plenty of fresh rubs in the area - there were at least 2 bucks working that area because I seen his big brother just out of range 10 minutes before and lost him on the side hill. They were both on the move in the middle of the day with their heads down, smelling their surroundings..

We've been in that area around Remembrance day and they were just starting to rub. By the time Remembrance Day hits, the lower island rut seems to be tapering off.

It also makes sense to me that the dropping of fawns would be timed somewhat to the growing seasons of a general area, and the climates of 1-1 and 1-12 are quite different.

I would like to hear from north island guys what date they first see does in standing heat...
thanks, that make total sense to me, i dont live on the island but it would be the same everwhere,

tomahawk
12-04-2011, 08:30 PM
All deer rut at the same time, deer do not rut earlier in one place and later in an another. Yes, they will rut a bit earlier the further north you go and later the further south you go, but there is no difference between the ML and the Island. It is caused by the amount of daylight and the timing is set so that the does have their fawns in that 2-3 week period in the spring where it ensures the best survival before winter. Also, the does determine when to breed and when they are done, the bucks will move on. So maybe the does you are seeing have already been done.

The peak is past, but they will still go at it for a bit longer. Saw fresh rubs yesterday as well.

Keep at it, you cannot get one sitting at home.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

X2...The facts of all rutting activity, proven over and over by biologists as well as hunters.