PDA

View Full Version : How Much Meat of the Elk are you Required to bring Out? In Reg 4

Jelvis
09-28-2006, 03:22 PM
If You shoot an Elk in the east Kootenays how much of that Elk when shot back off access in the hills is required to be brought out take a guess? >:twisted: >:lol: > Jel > 9286

MB_Boy
09-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Next question....

If you understand Jelvis' question can you please explain it to me???

bruno
09-28-2006, 03:34 PM
If You shoot an Elk in the east Kootenays how much of that Elk when shot back off access in the hills is required to be brought out take a guess? >:twisted: >:lol: > Jel > 9286

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????

Jelvis
09-28-2006, 03:41 PM
What is the least amount of meat that is required to be brought out of the back bush in the e koots according to your knowledge what does it amount too. Jel Do you know or not? If you don't know then you don't, but just take a guess if you don't and if you know say what it is. This isn't a trick question just asking? Jell 2286

youngfellla
09-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Kind of a strange question, but usually you have to take all edible portions. Just because you have to pack it out doesn't mean you can leave half of it there.

Rainwater
09-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Carve around the bullet hole and bring the rest out. Don't shoot it if you can't pack it, don't shoot it if you aren't gonna eat it either.

Trapper
09-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Hind quarters,front quarters and back straps.

MichelD
09-28-2006, 04:00 PM
The regulations synopsis clearly states that it is unlawful :

"to kill wildlife (with the exception of grizzly bear, cougar or a fur bearing animal other than a black bear) and fail to remove from the carcass the edible portions of the four quarters and loins to a person's normal dwelling place or to a meat cutter or the operator of a cold storage plant."

You learn this in CORE and it is printed inthe regulations synopsis every year.

There is nothing ambiguous about it.

That means, in plain English as Rainwater so aptly put it:

"Don't shoot it if you can't pack it, don't shoot it if you aren't gonna eat it either."

Will
09-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Short of Requiring a Compulsory "Report" of the Harvest to be submitted within 30 days I'd say you take what everyone is always required to take.....
ALL the edible portions ? 8)

Wildman
09-28-2006, 04:13 PM
That's right........Don't shoot it if you don't intend to take it out with you!

NEEHAMA
09-28-2006, 04:47 PM
come on man! you must eat what ever you can't pack out right then and there.

dana
09-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Jelvis,
Judging from all the questions you've been askin', I'd say you get off your ass and go hunting and forget about that new fangdangled computer of yours. ;)

Elkhound
09-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Jelvis,
Judging from all the questions you've been askin', I'd say you get off your ass and go hunting and forget about that new fangdangled computer of yours. ;)

LMAO.......as stated. All edible bits and pieces

Neehama brings a fork and knife and leaves the mountains 100lbs over weight:lol:

alremkin
09-28-2006, 05:15 PM
You're required to bring out all the meat. Partially or completely de-boning the animal is a big help. Usually a big bull de-boned is less than 300 lbs of meat. Depending on terrian and your strength and endurance 3 or 4 trips should do it. Also remeber than most of the Kootenays is also grizzly country, so don't burden yourself so heavily that you can't pay proper attention to your surroundings with a big piece of fresh meat on your back.

Fisher-Dude
09-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Every friggin' scrap. And, don't forget that "the antlers must accompany the species license" as well. That would be the day that I would leave any succulent morsel for the 'yotes!

bruno
09-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Too many silly questions. What is the point?:confused: :confused:

Jelvis
09-28-2006, 05:31 PM
What if you walked back so far in with no horse trails, no quads, no vehicle access? You were hunting for a six-point bull elk and got a regal bull by yourself, no other hunters went that far back, you cape, gut, and bring the cape and huge antlers out, and then the next day you go back in, an all day trek nobody available to help that day and find a grizz happened along and was on the elk? What could a lone hunter do in this case? Grizz?

MichelD
09-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Pack the meat out first.

You can't eat the antlers.

Seth
09-28-2006, 05:41 PM
What if the planets and stars alligned just right on the fall equinox if it were slightly overcast and a tree fell in the woods?

Buddy, you got to get out more. . . enough with the questions. Just get out there and try and find some game!

Will
09-28-2006, 05:45 PM
and find a grizz happened along and was on the elk? What could a lone hunter do in this case? Grizz?
$hit happens..........let the Bear enjoy his Feast.
Then go Kick yourself in the A$$ for not packing out some Meat 1st:lol:

alremkin
09-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Clean and quarter the meat then take out the pulley and rope that you always bring with you for such eventualaties. Hoist the meat you arn't going to carry on your first trip at least 10' into a tree to the lowest part from the ground and in the shade in the heat of the day. If you arn't prepared to do this, shoot the elk with your camera.

CNE
09-28-2006, 05:56 PM
What if you walked back so far in with no horse trails, no quads, no vehicle access? You were hunting for a six-point bull elk and got a regal bull by yourself, no other hunters went that far back, you cape, gut, and bring the cape and huge antlers out, and then the next day you go back in, an all day trek nobody available to help that day and find a grizz happened along and was on the elk? What could a lone hunter do in this case? Grizz?

Know your limits. Dont be an idiot and shoot the darn thing if there is a chance you can't pack it out. This practice is what some would call SELF CONTROL.

Jelvis
09-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Seth, bruno and Dana are right, I'm getting cabin fever and I gotta hit Jmyson creek and see the real world instead of dreaming and these computers are so new to an oldtimer, who had a black and white tv with a coat hanger for rabbit ears, and listened to those great big cassettes, wow I am old! The Planets and the stars I like that one, at my age, > I've seen it all, < > I've done it all < ,,,, >>>> I just can't remember it all. <<<< Jelly >>>>9286

plumbob
09-28-2006, 07:29 PM
If your going to pack the meat out last tie it up high in a tree as there's always one are two of them around.

Fisher-Dude
09-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Know your limits. Dont be an idiot and shoot the darn thing if there is a chance you can't pack it out. This practice is what some would call SELF CONTROL.

Excellent advice. It is a priviledge to hunt these majestic animals. We owe it to them to be as ethical as possible. Don't be an idiot and kill it for the bragging rights. I'm going elk (and deer and moose) hunting for the day tomorrow by myself. And it will be not too far from the quad, and I have cell coverage to get my buddy up there within an hour to help me out. I wouldn't think of shooting something where it may go to waste. R-E-S-P-E-C-T! for the animal.

Jelvis
09-28-2006, 07:49 PM
bob, thats a plum of an idea, but the guy said "by the time I gutted, caped, sawed off, I just had time to get out in daylight." I did not want to stay the night in that particular spot, cause , it's called Grizz Canyon, and with the stuff I was carrying, had to pass by Wolf Springs yet, in the day light, was a priority to me, as of, ASAP. The trees whern't close enough at the time, I was SOL. I got out just in time LOL. IMHO. >>>>> Ostala vista baby <<<<--- Arnold -----9286 >>> Jel <<<

overthetop
09-28-2006, 07:54 PM
What a weird thread...

BlacktailStalker
09-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Some of the threads lately are definitely started as a result of WAY too much idle time. Anyone who doesnt pack out everything he/she can has issues and shouldnt be hunting. Elk hunting is a meat hunt as much as it may be a trophy hunt to some, and should be thought of as a priviledge for those who pursue it. Take it all.

stanway
09-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Pack the meat out first.

You can't eat the antlers.

That's right. And the bears don't eat them either.

todbartell
09-28-2006, 08:14 PM
glad I wasted 4 mins reading all this...

PGKris
09-28-2006, 08:18 PM
glad I wasted 4 mins reading all this...

^^^What he said
What the hell Jelvis? You sure ask a lot of questions

Jelvis
09-28-2006, 08:20 PM
I agree with all you hunters The ethics issue is so much a priority and I'm glad I can agree with all of you on this, that meat, should be respected to the utmost. I guess I'll never be a way back in the hills type of hunter, that is for sure. I always take utmost care of all my venison, and there's no way I could go that far back in Reg 4. Too many Grizz'z for an oldtimer.My whole family loves deer meat and moose meat. I think that guy in the storey who went too far back by himself, should wait til a couple other guys will go with him next year right? >>>>> JEL

todbartell
09-28-2006, 08:25 PM
oldtimer? I thought you were like 15 :|

Jelvis
09-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Do I detect a PG accent? The real Moose Hunter's of B.C. and now I hear yous guys got Elk, what next? PG Rocks 9286 15 no way. 18 and life to go in kamloops

Do I detect a PG accent? The real Moose Hunters and now elk, whats up with that? PG Rocks, Jel 9286

RiverOtter
09-28-2006, 08:48 PM
I shouldn't be wasting key strokes is this thread, but........If I have to leave a critter in the bush for ANY amount of time, I will move the meat and antlers away from the gut pile at least 100 yards and cover the pile with branches to help keep the tattle tale ravens away(As long as possible). It may not be of much use in the Kootnay's any more, but a jacket/shirt on top of the meat can be enough of a deterant for some bears. Lastly, make a good mental note of the scene for your return, so you have a heads up for bear(s) if something is changed.

It goes without saying that you only shoot elk(or any big game animal)within your pack out limits.

RO

todbartell
09-28-2006, 08:49 PM
http://myhome.elim.net/taekwondo/wtf/img/manimg5.gif

Jelvis
09-28-2006, 08:58 PM
I Guess what your saying is, Take out all of the elk or I'm going to have to face Bruce ( the goose ) Lee from PG.

todbartell
09-28-2006, 09:08 PM
yes......wtf

bruno
09-28-2006, 09:09 PM
I Guess what your saying is, Take out all of the elk or I'm going to have to face Bruce ( the goose ) Lee from PG.

Hey J. I think it's past you're bed time.

JMac
09-28-2006, 09:18 PM
Just as side bar to some of the posts.
Fact is unless you hunt with an armada of people you're going to have to make additional trips to pack out an elk. If the elk is close to the road or way off the beaten track a bear can still chew on your carcass regardless and it isn't the hunters fault or the bears fault. It's just part of the game. I agree the meat is the first priority but like I always say once the meats gone/consumed at home all you got left is those big snarly antlers on the wall and that's a beautiful thing/memory.

Ozone
09-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Jelvis first push the button that turns the computer off. Very early tomorrow get in your vehicle and drive to the bush with your gun. Wait there intill something legal to shoot steps in front of you. Shoot it, take pictures of it, gut it, throw it in your vehicle and take it to the butcher. Then you can come back and turn your computer back on and tell us all about it.

Will
09-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Jelvis first push the button that turns the computer off. Very early tomorrow get in your vehicle and drive to the bush with your gun. Wait there intill something legal to shoot steps in front of you. Shoot it, take pictures of it, gut it, throw it in your vehicle and take it to the butcher. Then you can come back and turn your computer back on and tell us all about it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
................:|

todbartell
09-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Jelvis, you sir, have been served

Jelvis
09-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Hey JMac I hear ya unless you got four guys in decent shape, and willing to get out real early and walkin in, in the dark, into the animal your going to be packin. Bears, eagles, ravens, coyotes, wolves, wolverine, cougar, foxes, and whatever smells the meat, in the night breeze is going to want a bite or two. Sometimes it's hard to get one guy to hunt never mind four. What is the answer like some posts have implied, >> only hunt close to a road. <<<<<<< 9286 >>>>>>>>

Fisher-Dude
09-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Note location of bull that scores 323. Note also location of Polaris Sportsman 500. Yup, that's how ya get the meat out.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/F1230010.jpg

lakelander
09-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Amazing...why did I read on...curious I guess

JMac
09-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Nice work Fisher-Dude! Just wondering if you can get that quad up to 8/9000 feet in shale slides and goat bluffs. Must suck to have to obey the road closure signs when you've got one of those for a pack mule. I'm jealous!

Krico
09-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Jelvis,

Perhaps you should take a refresher CORE course and reread the regulations, in turn sparing the rest of us from ridiculous threads.

Fisher-Dude
09-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Nice work Fisher-Dude! Just wondering if you can get that quad up to 8/9000 feet in shale slides and goat bluffs. Must suck to have to obey the road closure signs when you've got one of those for a pack mule. I'm jealous!

Actually, that bull was at about 6500 feet, but not quite in goat country! It's one of my honey holes that happens to have good access. The bull we got a few days before this one came out on our backs, about a 40 minute pack, four loads between 3 guys. Not too bad compared to some of the packs we did when we were young bucks! :biggrin:

Jelvis
09-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Fisher- Dude, > thanks for the great picture that is a nice lookin animal, I guess those quads are as good as they say, great photo Dude

lip_ripper00
09-28-2006, 10:24 PM
, > I've seen it all, < > I've done it all < ,,,, >>>> I just can't remember it all. <<<< Jelly >>>>9286 A legend in your own mind:lol:

jessbennett
09-28-2006, 10:35 PM
I....... am officially baffled.........:| ....

Hank Hunter
09-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Jelvis, take a break from fantasyland and go hunting

mainland hunter
09-29-2006, 01:33 AM
in alaska i believe you have to take meat before antlers as a law. i could be wrong but its not a bad law

Jelvis
10-07-2006, 02:19 PM
I phoned some people in a east south kootenay town. The fellas said if your packing it out on your back. In a higher ridge area like a road closure say on the nearest rocky rim of a basin. Then have help and get as much out in the first trip. When going in again the next time a Grizz will have possibly got it so, bring as much out at first trip. Go back with help again and see. I think hunting near road access would be best or if you can afford it hire a guide. Or 4 by up or quad on open access roads and trails IMHO. >> The Best in October 2006 to all. Enjoy Octoberfest, Anybuck october, and Halloween season. Good hunting 100706 >> Jel <<

Iron-Head
10-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Serios question, How old are you?

Silent Wolf
10-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Around 10 years old with the questions he is asking:-( I can't belive someone would ask a question like this......

Hmm catch a spring in the ocean it is huge you are only a loud one big fish. Can ya cut it in half and throw the other overboard, keep fishin for another and when ya catch one cut it in half and join it together to make one fish.......

Come on get your head out that small dark hole........

SW

The 'Hummer'
10-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Excellent advice. It is a priviledge to hunt these majestic animals. We owe it to them to be as ethical as possible. Don't be an idiot and kill it for the bragging rights. I'm going elk (and deer and moose) hunting for the day tomorrow by myself. And it will be not too far from the quad, and I have cell coverage to get my buddy up there within an hour to help me out. I wouldn't think of shooting something where it may go to waste. R-E-S-P-E-C-T! for the animal.

That says it all and should apply to all game you hunt. Live & learn!!

Jelvis
10-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Sorry my question wasn't worded right, it should have been, How much time before a grizzly gets to the bull elk downed back a few ridges in Reg 4? 100806

mark
10-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Now youve totally chanded your question! Have you gone hunting yet? Ever??? Time to turn off the computer and go for a walk!

Will
10-08-2006, 06:07 PM
How much time before a grizzly gets to the bull elk downed back a few ridges in Reg 4
It Could be minutes..........or it could lay and rot for the Worms:|
You Never know when Mr fuzzy will show up:lol:

dirty sanchez
10-08-2006, 07:06 PM
ditto.dont waste it.take it.

Jelvis
10-08-2006, 07:16 PM
I'd like to say that I have never been in this particular situation, nor would I even go hunting back too far now, Unless I had at least 3 strong buddies to carry the bull out, with me, the first day. I will not hunt too far back off the access roads, when hunting big game. I will stay close to access so I can get all the venison out, I've never wasted meat in my life and will never do that. That guy shouldn't have gone back there alone and I told him that. Jel 100806 Happy Thanksgiving everyone

moosecaller
10-08-2006, 11:49 PM
MEAT FIRST, then the MEAT, and more MEAT if there is any left a big rack for bragging rights does not sit well with most real hunters if you leave the meat for the sake of the rack, it does NOT dispite popular believe make up for a short fall in other "areas" getting a heavy racked animal does not get you any respect for your abilities if you leave behind the animal to rot. And your lame excuses trying to defer blame on some ficticious hunter is so transparent it is indeed childish, if this is your idea of hunting please quit!!! This "him" you refer to did something illegal and should suffer the consequences of his crime, if "he" exisits turn "him" in!! If this was your thoughts or intentions please once again quit hunting or change your idiotic outlook/phylosophy of hunting and if you are ever in PG country don't let me catch you doing anything like this I WILL turn you in quicker than you can change your story again!

Silent Wolf
10-09-2006, 12:34 AM
MooseCaller,

I think that last post took the words right out of most peoples mouths........

I think there is a part in the "CORE" to when you take the test, called ETHICS...... Jelvis you did pass the Core test did you not????? As then you wouldn't have to ask a question like this and then try and change it.....

Unless you are a member of PETA and are just trying to stir the S**T Pot with us all?? God knows why.. As most people don't like to hear stuff like this DUDE....

Hunting isn't our Right, it is a Privaligde we as Canadians get if we choose to do so.

SW:eek: :)

Jelvis
10-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Sorry guys for wording it wrong, I always put venison first. The fella I spoke to, said, when hunting far back in Reg 4 when you shoot, the Grizzlys, hear the shot and relate the shot to a dead animal, and will come to the shot. Sometimes within a short period of time, so thats how the conversation got started. How much time before a bruin gets on what you're trying to do? OK nothing more than that, just a normal conversation about the evolution of Grizzlys relating rifle shots with meat. >> 100906 << Yes I passed core years ago <<

Bow Walker
10-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Jelvis........leave the keyboard. Get some camo on. Get out there. Stop typing.

browningboy
10-09-2006, 10:06 AM
:evil: pull this thread, it's a waste of 4 mins as Firebird said!

Jelvis
02-20-2008, 06:10 PM
I really took a lot from these guys on this dum question I asked. I deserved every bit of it too the way I worded it I soon realized I better watch how I type things out and how I ask a question Take a look, Jel lernt

whitetailsheds
02-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Yappy Yoodle Dog.........is that you?.....Yappy.......

boxhitch
02-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Jel, do you realize that you have revisited what was a waste of time and typing the first time around ? Nothing new and/or constructive to say ??

Wolfman
02-20-2008, 10:08 PM
What if the planets and stars alligned just right on the fall equinox if it were slightly overcast and a tree fell in the woods?

Buddy, you got to get out more. . . enough with the questions. Just get out there and try and find some game!

Jel - these guys are right. I'll go with ya ;-)

Wolfman

Jelvis
02-20-2008, 10:15 PM
At least I realize now not to type something down wrong cause it can get a person misunderstood. I really got the heat from the fellas on that one. I do realize too when hunting elk on foot don't go too far back on a day hunt so I did enforce that into my brain. I won't be going to reg 4 anyway to go hiking way back. I might go with my buddy in his four wheel to glass off roads like most people do. Jel roast

Jelvis
02-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Wolfman Ya the fellas had me pegged on the computer time but I usually don't get into high gear for big buck muleys until late October and on til Dec 10th or so. This season I want a little moose. The leh applications will be coming up and that will be exciting for you to try for. Jel man

hotload
02-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Haha this is unbelievable, Today is the Tomorrow I Worried About Yesterday. I knew it would come.