PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Legend/Stories/Rumours thread

Buckmeister
12-01-2011, 08:09 PM
I thought I would create a thread where you can post up second hand hunting stories.

The stories CANNOT be from your own experiences. They can however be from a family member, friend, neighbor, something you heard down at the bar, or even something you read in a book. The idea is that it has to be a "STORY", not proven fact. That is why I used the words "legend" and "rumour" in the thread title. Don't make up a story just for the sake of it, but instead relay a story that may have been told to you but you can't quarantee it's authenticity.

ie: when you were little, your grandpa tells you about the 20 point whitetail he saw in his backyard but he didn't feel like shooting it. OR....you heard a story from SmallTownNowhere about the local Monster buck that is nicknamed "Ghost" cause everyone knows about it but nobody can kill it cause it disappears like a ghost everytime it is spotted, which makes even others believe it doesn't even exist.

Have fun with this....let's hear some good ones.

Buckmeister
12-01-2011, 08:33 PM
When I was taking my CORE, the instuctor told us the following story. I have known the instructor for many years and he is not the kind of guy to tell falsehoods. However, this story did not happen to him, and I don't know if he even knows the person that this happened to, so I think this can fall into the category of "legend". But it could very well be true.

Here goes: A photographer was commissioned to go out find the "perfect deer track in the snow" as a photo shoot/article in a magazine or book. The photographer was also a hunter and it just so happend to be hunting season. So he goes out into the bush, gets his outdoor clothes on, gets his camera gear out, slings his rifle over his shoulder, and starts walking.

Pretty soon he cuts across some track in the snow. So he starts walking along in the direction the deer walked, bent over, and taking pictures every few feet. He just keeps walking, bent over and taking pictures. He is so engrossed with taking pictures that he doesn't look around where he is walking. He walks into a group of trees. While in the cover of the trees he hears a noise that is quite close and he looks up. He is now standing in the midst of about 6 or more bedded deer!!! Directly in front of him is a very large buck, and the rest of the deer are does and they are surrounding him.

Still bent over, he drops to one knee, slowly unshoulders his rifle, and takes aim at the buck bedded in front of him at about 8 feet away. Before he pulls the trigger, he thinks about how when he does pull the trigger, he will probably be trampled by scared deer and he hopes he doesn't get hurt too badly. He fires the gun and quickly bends over covering his head with his arms....nothing happens. He looks up, the buck is dead in his bed, but the does never moved.

This is very stange he thinks to himself, are the deer deaf?. He waits, but they don't move. He slowly stands up.....nothing. He waves his hands and arms around.....nothing. He shouts.....nothing. After much displaying and shouting still nothing happens. He thinks that these are the strangest deer he has ever seen. Oh well....maybe he is quite safe after all. Then, it happened. He took just ONE step forward and the forest exploded!!!

Surprisingly he made it out alright and got himself a dandy buck. But why did those does only move when he stepped forward. No one knows for sure and there has much speculation. For instance, when he came into their presence he was haunched over and walking slow and quitely, so maybe the deer thought he was some other harmless animal? (It is supposedly an old Indian hunting technique to approach game while haunched over). Why they didn't react to the gun shot is anyones guess? When he was standing and waving, maybe the deer thought he was a tree with funny looking branches waving? Only when he behaved like a human (walking upright on two feet) did the deer react.

No one can say for sure why the deer reacted that way......but is sure is a cool story.

pg83
12-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Supposedly the father of my dad's long-time hunting partner got swiped on his buttocks by a cougar while taking a crap over a log one evening somewhere in the cariboo back in the 80's. I have not seen his butt, so I can't confirm this, but if it's true it must be one of the best scar stories out there.

sapper
12-01-2011, 09:37 PM
pg83,so what you're saying is the father of your dad's long time hunting partner got his butt all scratched up by a cougar? Hmm, okay. I think I've heard this story before too. ;-)

mark
12-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Supposedly the father of my dad's long-time hunting partner got swiped on his buttocks by a cougar while taking a crap over a log one evening somewhere in the cariboo back in the 80's. I have not seen his butt, so I can't confirm this, but if it's true it must be one of the best scar stories out there.

Ive had my back scratched by a cougar more than once. :)

sapper
12-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Okay, here's one I heard. A friend told me that some guys were stopped at a game check in the Kootenays. While the CO is checking out their buck he thinks something is amiss. Upon closer inspection he realized the buck was actually a doe with antlers drywall screwed to the skull. Believe it, or not.

BCHunterTV
12-01-2011, 09:42 PM

me too.....:-D

elkdom
12-01-2011, 09:47 PM
I really enjoy "hearsay hunting stories"!

this should be very informative and become an invaluable thread! :?

Andrews
12-01-2011, 09:53 PM
back in the day my grandpa was moose hunting. after a long hard few days hunting, he finally came upon a monster moose.
no optics or range finder, he aimed about a moose about the moose, if you get that unit of measurement. apparently about 700 yards.
he fired, and the moose dropped. quickly got back up and took off.

being last light they came to track it at first light.

they immediately found a pool of blood in its bed. for some reason brought a dog on the track. it took off and jumped the mortally wounded moose, and the moose and dog were never to be seen again

ianwuzhere
12-01-2011, 09:54 PM
herds of deer 200+ in chilcotin- region 3 areas.

BCHunterTV
12-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Couple years ago on a cat chase i had a Cougar that wouldnt tree, my hounds had the cat circled on the ground. When i got closer the hounds sensed the cats urge to bolt with me getting closer and got closer and closer to the cat thats when the cat hooked and pulled in my then lead hound into the circle. The other hounds went crazy biting the cat while the cat remained calm and started chewing my hounds neck. Thankfully my hound had on his tracking collar and remote shock collar as they took most of the bites. The Cougar had him pinned and wasnt letting go...i walked up and kicked the cat as hard as i could and it wouldnt stop or let go! I tried kicking him a few times and all it would do is just look at me with my hound in its grips and hounds around me going off. I earlier decided that shooting the cat with hounds around him and moving about wasnt a good idea but i knew right then and there i had to shoot this cat to save my hound. I walked up touching the cats chest with a friends 30-30 making eye contact with the cat while i watched for the hounds on the other end of the circle to part enough apart to i could shoot and miss them....seconds later a 2 foot gap offered itself and i fired. The cat released my hound fell over and died shortly after. My hound was in rough shape and needed some attention from the sewing kit at home

The cat i only wanted to take pictures of, i sold its hide

keoke
12-01-2011, 09:57 PM
I remember my grandfather told me of a deer that he shot 3 times cause it died on its feet and didn't fall down until he walked up and pushed it over. He also told me that his friend missed a Texas hart shot, but the deer had a heart attack and fell over dead. I don't want to get into his fishing story's cause I could right a book: Sh!t My Grandpa Says About Fishing.

frenchbar
12-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Dont we get enough of em on here already lol:mrgreen:

Andrews
12-01-2011, 10:12 PM
one morning hunt my grandpa was out with a couple buddies.
super heavy snowfall in region 8, during the whitetail rut. made for great and super quiet stalking conditions.
my grandpa was able to get so close to one doe (doe season apparently back then) that he put the barrel in her ear and pulled.

by the time he and his buddies met back at their truck, his buddies hadnt seen a thing. seeing that my grandpa was there smoking they assumed he too hadnt, until one of them tripped over a deer. my gramps had tagged 6 deer - two for each of them, but there was such a heavy snow you couldnt even see them!

Andrews
12-01-2011, 10:15 PM
my dad was on a hunting trip in his early twenties.
one night he was awoken to loud sounds outside his camper. being that it was in the back of his truck, he open its door and looked down. a moment after his eyes adjusted to the dark, he suddenly noticed two other eyes staring right back at him, level tohis eyes. falling back he slammed the door shut. didnt sleep much that night.

he returned home a few days later and grabbed a news paper at the gas station while filling up on the drive. front page was a report that boy scouts reported seeing a sasquatch in the camp ground he was at, and were chasing it around all night. after reading the story he put two and two together, remember that the eyes that were staring at him were level with his eyes....

his camper was over two feet of the ground, putting whoever was standing there nearly 8' tall....

Andrewh
12-01-2011, 10:17 PM
A buddy of mine ran a camp and took a group of students on a 3 day canoe trip. While at one of the camp sites one of the students went to the outhouse at night and came back to the campfire looking like a ghost. The kid had just about crapped himself and my buddy was a little concerned so asked what happened. The student said that there was a big cat in the toilet. My buddy grabbed his headlamp and went to investigate not really believing the kid. He then opened the door and had a look down the hole and sure enough the young cougar covered in crap jumped up and tried to climb out with no success. My buddy just about soiled himself too...

He then put the toilet lid down and locked the door and put a sign on the door warning that there was a cougar in the toilet. He got everyone to pack up and they moved across the lake and he called the park ranger the next day...

Livewire322
12-01-2011, 10:41 PM

Think he was talking about the mountain lion variety... not your kind of cougar!

ianwuzhere
12-01-2011, 10:47 PM
rumours are that "andrews" and "andrewh" have many of the exact same stories but are different people ;)

olharley guy
12-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Howdy, not really a hunting story but from the outdoors anyways - a few years back on of the helicopter pilots from Atlin dropped by for a visit. Asked him what he was doing in Whitehorse and he said he brought a fellow in from a mining exploration crew that had to go to the hospital.

Apparently he was sitting in their make shift out house and I can't remember specifically, but either a marten or ermine jumped up and grabbed him by the balls and wouldn't let go. He finally killed it but they couldn't get it off and as the bleeding wouldn't stop they had to fly him to the Whitehorse hospital to get it off and stop the bleeding.

I didn't see it but I believe the pilot who actually thought this little episode was hilarious and he got a couple hours extra flying time. Later

150fighter
12-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Howdy, not really a hunting story but from the outdoors anyways - a few years back on of the helicopter pilots from Atlin dropped by for a visit. Asked him what he was doing in Whitehorse and he said he brought a fellow in from a mining exploration crew that had to go to the hospital.

Apparently he was sitting in their make shift out house and I can't remember specifically, but either a marten or ermine jumped up and grabbed him by the balls and wouldn't let go. He finally killed it but they couldn't get it off and as the bleeding wouldn't stop they had to fly him to the Whitehorse hospital to get it off and stop the bleeding.

I didn't see it but I believe the pilot who actually thought this little episode was hilarious and he got a couple hours extra flying time. Later

I worked on a mining exploration crew this summer up in the Northwest Territories. One of the geologists I was working with told that exact story, says he was on the same crew as the poor guy! Pretty crazy story!

The Dawg
12-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Jelvis has actually been seen.

Ajsawden
12-02-2011, 12:09 AM
My dad and his hunting partner of the 80's were driving up to there favorite spot in about 9 inches of fresh snow. There was standing old growth doug-fir on both sides of the road and as they turned around a switch back, the passenger spotted a deer down below the road they'd just switched from. They stopped and got out to glass it. After a few seconds my dad's partner says, "It's a spike, I think i'll shoot it." Dad replies with, "Don't shoot it, it's a doe." They watch through their bino's a bit more. "Pretty sure it's a spike." "Nope, it's a doe." "Spike" "Doe" "Spike" "SHOOT IT!!" "I thought you said it was a doe", "Not that one, THAT ONE!" Dad whispers excitedly pointing to the middle of the road in front of the truck at a decent 3 point that just walked out. "Oh, I see, *BOOM*"

Now today, if Dad and i got a deer we'd just go home. Back in the day dad wanted to get one for himself. So while buddy dealt with his deer, Dad went to go find his own. He went trucking up the road past where the deer was shot and found a hole through a bump in the snow. Farther up, another hole, and another, and then a trail that got wider and wider until at last dad found a snowball. It was about the size of one you might throw at someone in a snowball fight and inside was the bullet that his partner had shot the deer with 5 minutes earlier!

It's a fun little story and the cool part is I can drive to the exact spot to where this all happened. No more trees and hardly ever deer there anymore though.

Gumsehwah
12-02-2011, 12:34 AM
This one is from my father from when he taught high school in Gold River in the late 60's:

It seems that a kid was arrested for shooting a trumpeter swan near Sproat Lake, and he was to go before the magistrate toface the charge. Rodderick Haig-Brown was the magistrate that he went before.

After Haig Brown heard the cjarges from the crown, he asked the boy what his plea was.

"Guilty, Sir." the boy responded.

"In that case, I have no option but to throw the book at you, and give you the maximum fine I can give you."

The boy and the prosecutior were both visibly shocked, as the boy had plead rather than contest, and the prosicution had requested only a minimum., as it was the boy's first offense.

When asked why he was so strict, Haig-Brown answered "i could have overlooked the fact that he was hunting without a licence. I could have overlooked the fact that he was hunting on parkland. I could have overlooked the fact that he was shooting past sundown. I could have overlooked that trumpeter swans are a protected bird. I ciuld have overlooked the fact that he used a .22 instead of a shotgun, but Dammit, he shot the swan while it was sitting on the water, and that is just UNSPORTSMANLIKE."

Jagermeister
12-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Some of the older guys will be able to relate a bit to this.
As it happened, whenever we found spent 22 cases, we would collect them. At some later time we would break the heads off wooden matches and stuff them into the 22 cases. We would then crimp the openings and find a suitable surface and rap them with whatever was handy.
Well, one day one of my acquaintences put a super crimp on one of the cases and he hunkered down to smack the case with a rock. Of course he had the case resting on another rock and he really was not paying attention to the direction that the case was pointed.
Now most times when you struck these cases, the expanding gases would exit via the crimped opening.
Like I said, Tom was not paying attention and he super crimped the shell. He slams the rock .......did I explain hunkered? Ahh, never mind......he slams the rock down on the case, there is the might report of match heads going off followed by a yelp unheard of before. He clutches his groin and in the next instance, there is blood flowing between his finger like he popped a cherry.........get the drift.
We hustle him home and get him through the backdoor into the kitchen. His mother hears the commotion and comes to see what is going on (mothers used to be stay at home moms back then), sees the blood and lets out a yelp quite similar to the one we heard 15 minutes before. Without further ado, she orders him to drop his shorts and hollars for us to get some tea towels out of a kitchen draw that she directs us to. She swaddles his balls in the towels and then grabs the phone to summon TOM's dad from work (back then there was no ambulance service like what we have ).
Anyhow, Tom's dad arrives home and they cart him off to the hospital where the doctors remove a piece of the 22 case shrapnel from one of his testicles.
I lost track of Tom over time, so I do not know if he ever married and had children or not.
Truth or .............Urban Legend?

Jagermeister
12-02-2011, 01:11 AM
This one is from my father from when he taught high school in Gold River in the late 60's:

It seems that a kid was arrested for shooting a trumpeter swan near Sproat Lake, and he was to go before the magistrate toface the charge. Rodderick Haig-Brown was the magistrate that he went before.

After Haig Brown heard the charges from the crown, he asked the boy what his plea was.

"Guilty, Sir." the boy responded.

"In that case, I have no option but to throw the book at you, and give you the maximum fine I can give you."

The boy and the prosecutior were both visibly shocked, as the boy had plead rather than contest, and the prosicution had requested only a minimum., as it was the boy's first offense.

When asked why he was so strict, Haig-Brown answered "i could have overlooked the fact that he was hunting without a licence. I could have overlooked the fact that he was hunting on parkland. I could have overlooked the fact that he was shooting past sundown. I could have overlooked that trumpeter swans are a protected bird. I ciuld have overlooked the fact that he used a .22 instead of a shotgun, but Dammit, he shot the swan while it was sitting on the water, and that is just UNSPORTSMANLIKE."I know of one similar to this involving the same magistrate. Only difference is "Herb" was flyfishing. Problem was, "Herb" didn't know he was fishing in a closed area. He had an idea that he was above the closure but alas, when the game warden showed up he handed "Herb" a ticket. the game warden told "Herb" that if he entered a guilty plea, the fine would be nominal.
"Herb" asked what nominal was and the game warden said something to the tune of about $25.
Off to court and Haig-Brown askes how "Herb" pleads.
"Guilty your Honour." replies "Herb".
"Well, that will be $125." says the good magistrate.
"Wha..Wha..What", says "Herb", "the game warden told me that if I pled guilty, the fine would be $25."
"Well "Herb", the game warden isn't the judge and I gave you a break, I could have charged you $500."
Poor "Herb", all that and he didn't even catch a fish. That's what you get when you fish one of Haig-Brown's streams out of season.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Had a former coworked who was a complusive liar.
Anyway..he was one the only hunters that I worked with so I would chat with him once in a while....that was, until the BS got too deep and I would laugh in his face and walk away.

Here's one of his "best" stories........

He had a friend who had the "ultimate" cougar hound. The friend would drop the dog off in the bush and come back in a week and there would be 3 cougar heads lying there on the ground beside the hound.:roll:

I avoided talking to him after that tale.:confused:

SSS

CanuckShooter
12-02-2011, 07:55 AM
One fellow related to us how he was hunting moose with his brother and they spotted a large cow up on a hillside about 250 yards off...seeing as how the season was open his brother opened fire with his trusty old 303 and the moose didn't even move, he eventually emptied the clip [10shots?] and just couldn't figure out why he was missing. Turns out the moose had died on it's feet, probably on the first shot, and it was leaned up against a windfall with it's legs all stiffened up...and shot full of holes.

BernDawg
12-02-2011, 10:18 AM
"No names, no pack drill"

There was a story going around back home about a fella that shot a moose 25 times and it didn't fall over! Easy to understand how when you factor in the part where his hunting buddies put a fresh hide over a wind-fall stump because they knew he got Buck-fever...

Another one -

"That f*cker turned and started running away so I snapped a shot at it's ass because it pissed me off! When I didn't see it going over the next hill I went over to see what happened and turns out I hit that f*cker in the back of the head!"

bc7mm
12-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Read a story sent in by an older farmer in Sask many years ago in a Canadian hunting mag.

Many years before he'd been hunting Mulies. A mule buck stood up out of some tall grass and brush, it dropped at the shot. He grabbed his knife and walked toward where it had fallen. As he moved thru the long grass and brush it stood up right in front of him. He grabbed onto an antler and wrestled with the thing finally finishing it off with his knife. Shaken and exhausted he stood up staggered backward tripping over the buck he'd shot.

nother story:
A friend of mine was hunting near Ft. St John 20 yrs ago or so, came around the corner on a logging road and saw a nice bull moose standing at the top of a small hill on the side of the road at about 200 yds. He bailed out and dropped it. As he reached it he noticed a small group of people climbing into a mini van down the hill on the other side. Moments later they pulled up and expressed their dismay that he had just shot the moose they had spent 2 hrs calling out. They later told my friend that one of their party was complimented on his shooting ability when the moose dropped as he had his gun up aimed at the moose when it dropped.

After a tense few minutes they agreed to split the moose and all was well. The youngest in the group was 62, the oldest 79. These two couples had been hunting together for over twenty years and had some great stories to share while the moose was cut up and their half tucked into the back of the mini van. Hope I'm still moose hunting when I'm 79.

Gumsehwah
12-02-2011, 12:48 PM
I know of one similar to this involving the same magistrate. Only difference is "Herb" was flyfishing. Problem was, "Herb" didn't know he was fishing in a closed area. He had an idea that he was above the closure but alas, when the game warden showed up he handed "Herb" a ticket. the game warden told "Herb" that if he entered a guilty plea, the fine would be nominal.
"Herb" asked what nominal was and the game warden said something to the tune of about $25.
Off to court and Haig-Brown askes how "Herb" pleads.
"Guilty your Honour." replies "Herb".
"Well, that will be $125." says the good magistrate.
"Wha..Wha..What", says "Herb", "the game warden told me that if I pled guilty, the fine would be $25."
"Well "Herb", the game warden isn't the judge and I gave you a break, I could have charged you $500."
Poor "Herb", all that and he didn't even catch a fish. That's what you get when you fish one of Haig-Brown's streams out of season.

Yeah. . . I think that the moral of these stories was "Don't piss off the old man." :-D

warnniklz
12-02-2011, 01:14 PM
My buddy's dad (who we'll call Turtle Head) use to be a hunter. Back in the day, Turtle Head and his hunting partner were in the Kootneys on an elk hunt and seen a nice 6 point bedded down. So Turtle Head lined up and fired.

HIgh fives and congrats go around. So the two head over to the elk for a picture. Turtle Head went to go and sit in the el's antlers and all of the sudden the elk takes off running... with Turtle Head in it's antlers.

After several yards the elk's antler broke off and Turtle Head fell off. They recollected themselves and later that night they seen a 6 point with one antler. They put him on the deck. This time they made sure it was dead. Turns out it was the same elk they shot earlier.

Apparently he had shot the elk in the antler. That's why the elk went down and the antler broke off.

Now I'm not sure if the story is true. However he did have a picture of him posing with an downed elk with an antler broken off.

Riverratz
12-02-2011, 02:35 PM
I grew up in a small town in Manitoba. A few blocks away lived a crusty old codger who was a trapper.
In my early teens I used to trap swamp rats (muskrat), ermine, squirrels and rabbits after school and on weekends. I would sell the hides to "Old Joe" the trapper, who was probably in his 60's or maybe even older.

In the winter, for a few years, I was at his place about once a week dropping off my hides. He was a stinky, smelly old fart, and cussed like a drunken sailor.
His house and sheds were full of all sorts of old, rusty junk, a couple of snarling, chained up mutts outside. All in all, a real colorful character.......just what you might expect of an old trapper back in those days. His "woman" was pretty much the same, can't even remember her name, she never spoke more than two words at a time.

One day I was at his place and I noticed a Wolverine hide on the wall in his living room. It was nothing fancy, just flat mounted and tanned. Curious, I asked him about it.

He said it almost killed him when it attacked him many years earlier out on the trap-line, but he killed it with his bare hands. He said that he'd been out on his line and that the wolverine, which he didn't know was there, jumped out of a tree onto his back. The fight was on, with it snarling, chewing and ripping at him with its claws and teeth. They fell down on the ground and Joe somehow managed to get it off his back. He wrestled with it for some time, finally managing to get his hands on its throat, strangled it, broke its neck, and that was that.

He said there was blood everywhere and it looked like a butcher shop. Then he figured out that the blood was his, as he was bleeding from bites and claw rips everywhere around his head and back. He somehow got back home, made it to some medical aid and got stitched up.

After the story, he could see that I was dubious......."you don't believe me, do you" he said. Then he proceeded to lean over toward me and lifted back his long scraggly hair.
Peering through the blue haze of wood and pipe tobacco smoke that always filled his house, I could see numerous long scars across the back and top of his scalp. He peeled back the collar of his shirt and I could see more long, deep, raking scars on the back of his neck and shoulders. There were some places on his scalp that were bald scars, but hidden under the long greasy hair. Then he proceeded to unbutton his shirt, dropping half of it exposing his left shoulder blade area.
Just above his shoulder blade was a huge pit 1/2 - 3/4 inch deep, about the size of my fist, all healed over with the worst scar I've ever seen. That was where he said the wolverine had chomped right through his jacket and shirt and tore out a big chunk of his flesh. There were more scars that made his back look like it had been worked over real hard with a garden rake.

Over the months that followed I mentioned the story to a few of the older folks in town, they all knew about it and said that was exactly what happened. For a couple of years after that, whenever I was out in the bush, I spent more time staring into the trees than ahead and around me.

Sometimes what might seem to be "tall tales"....... aren't !!!

dingdongdenny
12-02-2011, 03:18 PM
back in the day i used to live in dawson creek and went moose hunting late in the season, -30f. started to walk down this cut line, walked and walked, finally about a mile or two out comes this moose so i shot him and proceeded to gut him.Well that late in the season it got dark fairly early about 3:30.Well nowing that i couldn't get back to the truck decided to stay there so to keep warm i crawled inside the moose and went to sleep.The next morning i woke up and the rib cage was frozen closed, not nowing how i was going to get out, i hadn't had anything to eat yesterday or that day so i was getting a little dellirous, and remembered how in the last election i had voted ndp. I felt so small i crawled out the as#hole.

nature girl
12-02-2011, 08:35 PM
My mom told me my grandpa went hunting and threw a rock down the hill and he shot the buck that got up and was home in less then a hour.

Buckmeister
12-02-2011, 08:54 PM
My buddy's dad (who we'll call Turtle Head) use to be a hunter. Back in the day, Turtle Head and his hunting partner were in the Kootneys on an elk hunt and seen a nice 6 point bedded down. So Turtle Head lined up and fired.

HIgh fives and congrats go around. So the two head over to the elk for a picture. Turtle Head went to go and sit in the el's antlers and all of the sudden the elk takes off running... with Turtle Head in it's antlers.

After several yards the elk's antler broke off and Turtle Head fell off. They recollected themselves and later that night they seen a 6 point with one antler. They put him on the deck. This time they made sure it was dead. Turns out it was the same elk they shot earlier.

Apparently he had shot the elk in the antler. That's why the elk went down and the antler broke off.

Now I'm not sure if the story is true. However he did have a picture of him posing with an downed elk with an antler broken off.

I heard of two similar stories to this one. The first was that the they shot the elk and hit it in the antler and knocked it out cold. Then next was that the elk passed by so close, they fired and missed the elk, but the concussion from the muzzle knocked the elk out cold (or maybe a heart attack?).

skibum
12-02-2011, 09:05 PM
. He fires the gun and quickly bends over covering his head with his arms....nothing happens. He looks up, the buck is dead in his bed, but the does never moved.

No one can say for sure why the deer reacted that way......but is sure is a cool story.

That happened to me this season, shot a buck, he dropped in his tracks and his buddy just kept on grazing beside him, and eventually wandered off. Shot was at 50 yards. And I thought deer were supposed to get conditioned to hunters in the bush

bushpig slayer
12-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Funny about the deer having a heart attack with no shot but a buddy of mine and his dad shot a black bear twice on the run and It dropped they skinned it and no holes anywhere with a 338 they both swear it had a heart attack I call a skull shot but they said it was broad side shot I still call bs on that one.

Ambush
12-02-2011, 09:36 PM
My old uncle had a coon hound that stayed on a treed coon so long that his neck became permanently kinked, looking up. He couldn't even put his head down to eat.
It went well enough for a while just feeding him with a funnel. But then one day he was out in a terrible rain storm and drowned.:(

Mtn Man
12-02-2011, 10:19 PM
my old man shot a buck on one of the forest service mains, being fairly heavily travelled by logging trucks, he and his buddy picked the buck up and put it in the back of the truck. his buddys truck had no tailgate so he decided to sit in the box and hold onto the deer while his buddy drove to a spur road so they could gut it there. while they were driving the deer came back to life and was trying to get up. My dad was holding onto the horns so tight he did not want the buck to get away,all the while yellling at his buddy to stop the truck and shoot the thing again. Turns out that he figure they just knocked the buck out with the first shot, second shot in the back of the truck killed it.

mikey
12-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Jelvis has actually been seen.

now i don't care who you are...thats funny right there!

Buckmeister
12-03-2011, 08:36 PM
This next story is a real story that for sure happened, but I am not privy to the exact details. I had heard the story told before, but then I got the "real" story from my Granddad (my mom's dad).

This happened when my mom was about 9 years old (in the 60's). It happened in the middle of night. Everyone was asleep in bed of course when my Granddad was awakened by a ruccus outside. Their dog and another dog (the neighbors) were barking like mad. He went to the window and looked out but could not see anything. He then stepped outside and screwed a light bulb into the outside socket. What he saw was amazing. There was a huge cougar in the yard and it had the neighbors dog by the throat. The cougar was tilting his head back, drinking in the dogs blood right from it's neck!

Grandad went back inside and got his gun (I'm not sure if it's the same gun, but I inheirited my Granddad's .303 British service rifle and I hunt with it today). He went back to the porch and shot the cougar dead in it's tracks. At the sound of the gunshot, everyone else in the house woke up except my mother. The neighbors dog was a goner, but their own dog crawled out from underneath the dead cougar. Turns out the cougar had grabbed their dog first by the head with it's mouth, and then tucked it undearneath itself while it took car of the neighbor dog. However, the dog was injured and died 10 days later due to infection. The cougar was a record size cat and nothing close to it's size was ever shot or seen for many years since in that area.

safarichris
12-05-2011, 08:50 AM
There was a large mounted Elk head hanging in a log cabin. The old timer in the cabin was asked by an environmentalist who shot the big elk and why?. He replied ''nobody shot the elk''. He was asked again, somebody had to shoot the elk? Then the old man told this story and said it was a true story. He said, ''a long time ago I had to go to town to buy groceries and fired up the model T. I was going down this dirt road and had to cross a small bridge, when a large six- point elk in the rut, stood in the middle of the bridge. The brakes were not that good on the Model T and I swerved and hit the ditch and got stuck. The big bull elk started shaking his horns back and forth not backing down. Then I thought of something to scare him away, I soaked a rag with turpentine and thew it at the Elk. It caught the Elk right up under his tail. It must have burned his butt some, because he started to scratch himself on a nearby tree. Night time came and I went to sleep in the Model T. I could hear the Elk moaning and groaning and scratching himself all through the night''. Then he said, ''what you are looking at on the wall, is all what was left and what I found in the morning, when he was all through scratching''.

Ovis17
12-05-2011, 10:08 AM
My Dad and a buddy are hunting around Lilloet Lk area back in the early 70's. They pull into the old Pemberton Hotel for a bite to eat and a couple beers. They leave the pub a while later and drive about 30km into the bush. The plan is to crash out in the back of the canopy in their warm down sleeping bags and hit their spot early. The buddy is excited because he has a brand new, expensive down bag along on its first trip. The horror begins when they go to crawl into the canopy and find a pissed drunk native dude asleep in the new bag.... And the bag is full of puke as well!!!! Buddy talks my Dad out of tuning the guy up and they end up having to drive him all the way back to Mt. Currie. Never did get the smell completely out of the bag LOL!!!!!!

grizzlydueck
12-05-2011, 10:29 AM
When i was finnished guiding up dease lake- we went to one of the guides family property they had bought with another family =a couple of winters before we were there the neibour guy went to use their shared out house -and proceded to have a dump untill something came up and bit him by his balls-turns out there was a pinemarten in the shitter ! so every time any of us would use the shitter we would shine our headlamps down the hole first! And to this day I always look down the hole first before i make a deposit !

grizzlydueck
12-05-2011, 10:43 AM
This story came out in bc outdoors when i was a kid and i still have the clipping some where= 2 dudes are driving down the road hunting in there sh@t piece old truck as its getting dark the head lights go out= so they put a new fuse back in= the headlights work for a while and then go out again! the fuses are those old glass tube ones so their stuck out in the bush with no more fuses ....the passenger says well i'll put a 22 round into the fuse box that should work =and work it did as they started there drive home, all happy with their great fix .....there was a gunshot in the cab and the headlights went out again the driver slams on the brakes and is screaming bloody murder ! Turns out the dumb ass shot himself in the balls and they had to drive to the hospital with the flashlight out the window to see !