PDA

View Full Version : "billie" the wonder dog does it again.

bowhunterbruce
12-01-2011, 12:50 AM
after heading out two days ago to start scouting a few of my bowhunting honey holes i had it narrowed down to the point of 2 spots until this morning.
while working my way into spot 1 i bumped a muley doe and 2 spike bucks.with any muley bucks open i make the choice not to take one of them with my bow in hopes of getting 1 with a little more meat on it.
this next 10 days is when i love the challenge of trying to top off the freezer and doing it with my bow.
i back on out and after an hr on the road i get to my other spot.while working my way through the valley bottom i spotted a couple whitetail does working thier way up to thier bedding areas,as i round the corner to the trail they were on i sppot the unmistakable sight of a beautiful respectable buck comming up the trail.
dropping to 1 knee i nock an arrow and judge the down hill shot at 25 yards,(a gimme)i think.
as he clears the scrub in front of me i give him a doe bleat(vocally)he stops broadside.
for the first time in my life i got to experience the effects of a buck that jumped the string.
he dropped so low upon my release that all i did was shave a few hairs off his back.
well i back out after doing enough searching to be sure thats all i hit was hair(not a drop of blood)
all the way back to the truck i replayed everything wondering where i had gone wrong.
as i was sitting back at the truck i notice all kinds of sign around me and all of it fresh.the rubs on the trees were everywhere and as i looked closer the ground was torn up all over the p[lace as though to combatants went at it for hours.
it was at that point i realized that i didn't have my rattling antlers or my grunt tube with me.
i insidently had parked my truck right in the middle of a domminent bucks home.
there was only 1 thing to do and that was go and get the tools and get my butt back there.
forward a couple hrs later and i'm back.
leaveing the truck a mile away i walked into the bottom end of the cut block and set up downwind of all the activity.after the third rattling sequence a hear a small branch break to my right.and as if on cue its a pretty decnt buck bigger the the one i had missed earlier.
my arrow is already on my bow as i pick it up undetected i clip my release on ,as he stepped behind the only pair of decent sized trees around me i raised my bow and came to full draw.
it seamed like forever until he was in my shooting lane and once there i grunted him to get him to stop.at the same time he stopped i released and i'll be damed.
this buck did the same thing only the arrow found its mark a little high.wtf
never in all my years of bowhunting did an animal jump a string on me and in 1 day i get 2 of them.
well the arrow completely passed through and although there was good blood on it ,i new the shot was high and only hoped it had hit at least some of its lungs and didnt just pass through the "no zone"(above the lungs yet below the spine).
the buck took off like a bat outta hell and i took my now sorry butt to try and find some form of blood trail.1/2 and hr later and i had a few drops and a direction he went.
after marking the blood with some toilet paper i went back to the truck the same route i had gone in on.
well once back at the truck i give hotload a call.chit not home.leave a message.
2 hrs later i get the call and we are on our way back out there.
well he gets billie on the trail.its been over a year now since i had seen her work her magic.this dog has been put through some very tough tests and training and man oh man does she work.
well as i suspected after climbing and traversing that hill she finally found the buck and i did hit him high but had just taken off the tops of both lungs.
billie didn't quit and once we hit the snow line and we were still finding a drop of blood here and there it confirmed she was and always had been on that bucks track.
i say say enough how greatful i was to have found that buck dead,knowing where all he had gone, there was no way i would have ever found him without both rod and "billie's" help.
if any of you here in the okanagan ever lose one don't hesitate getting ahold of them and if by chance they are ooout traing then get ahold of me here and i will do my best to track them down.
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/bowhunterbruce1/DSCF0247.jpg
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/bowhunterbruce1/DSCF0228.jpg

BillBraskii
12-01-2011, 01:11 AM
What an awesome dog!!!

Congrats on the buck too.....

hunter1947
12-01-2011, 02:43 AM
Bruce thats a very nice WT deer you got I like the right gard it is long ,the dog helped you out big time ,congrats to you..

5 spike
12-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Dogs are amazing creatures. congrats on a fine buck.

doubled
12-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Man's best friend does it again. Cool story - hope you gave Billie a fresh steak as a reward! Nice WT by the way especially with a stick.

kennyj
12-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Thats a beauty. Nice browtines .
kenny

moose2
12-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Great looking buck Bruce. It sounds like that dog sure knows what shes doing I am glad you were able to recover the buck.
Mike

ydouask
12-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Very nice buck ! That dog is a valuable partner for sure.

Ruger4
12-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Hey Brewster
congrats on a fine buck bro and hey congrats to the mutt as well !!
you've had a steller year overall, looking forward to a sitdown with the photo album and a few beverages !!!

d6dan
12-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Good solid whitetail Bruce. :-D Now we know why dogs are man's best friend.

steepNdeep
12-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Awesome buck! Cool dog. A well trained dog is invaluable...

bowhunterbruce
12-01-2011, 11:15 AM
thanks everyone.
i forgot to mention that when we got back out there is was already dark and although we could hardly see where we were going billie did the track for the first time under the cover of darkness.totally cool in my books.

markt308
12-01-2011, 11:19 AM
thats so cool. great lookin deer

mark
12-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Nice buck, and nice story....gotta love it when the dog saves the day!

spear
12-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Pretty sure i got Rod and Billie on speed dial when im on the mainland. Nice work you guys.

Billie has been well trained and its awesome to see all the hard work paying off

beeugle
12-01-2011, 04:43 PM
awesome, great job bruce!! as for rod and billy, they are legends already.... I bet there ain't a hunter out there hasn't heard of them and how awesome they are at tracking, Rod's trained him up to be invaluable... congrats guys ...and Billy

bowhunterbruce
12-01-2011, 05:49 PM
awesome, great job bruce!! as for rod and billy, they are legends already.... I bet there ain't a hunter out there hasn't heard of them and how awesome they are at tracking, Rod's trained him up to be invaluable... congrats guys ...and Billy

thanks buddy.soon enough he may even have to bring the new pup out to play too.

nano
12-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Nice buck,congrats bruce!

sawmill
12-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Nice buck and a great pup,I love heelers.I have a heeler/sheperd X ,very smart and loyal unto death.Not to mention movie star handsome,kinda like me.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I just thought this was another dog thread so I didn't look at it.

Glad I finally did!

That's a great buck (especially with the bow) Bruce and great job Hotload and Billie!

Congrats!

SSS

Sasquatch
12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Good work billie!

4pointer91
12-03-2011, 05:29 AM
Great story and a testament to a well trained dog!

bosca
12-03-2011, 10:10 AM
I don't own a dog much to my girl's disappointment but a story like that definitelly gets me thinking... gives me an appreciation for a well trained working dog.
Excellent Buck by the way!! Great memory...

peashooter
12-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Great story, wonder dog is right. Awesome buck you put down as well.