PDA

View Full Version : OMG ! its finally here!

Ddog
11-30-2011, 11:03 PM
thats right, the short end of the season bow hunt!! i live for it, love it and will always love it!
i look forward to it all year long as it is my favourite time to be in the woods. its a lot quieter, with no rifles going off in the background it seems like its just a whole new season all together. i have hung 4 stands in anticipation of great things to come, i have sat countless hours in these 4 stands over the last 3weeks and have a good quality of bucks coming through just not the right one for me as i will be taking a doe this archery season i feel i will let them grow a bit.
good luck to all the bowhunters that will be out there in the koots as well as everywhere else that opens!
cheers...D

bowhunterbruce
11-30-2011, 11:10 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-men brother

BCsniper
11-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Have any pictures of your bucks? What do you find is the best way to hunt the late season bow hunt? forest? fields? travel routes? how long you sitting for ?

Bow Walker
12-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Go get 'em doggy...........

Ddog
12-01-2011, 12:35 PM
day 1, was in the stand by 7:40 am after looking for an arrow that i lost on the way in, took a shot at a lone doe at 20 yards but being that kinda dusky morning light i neglected to see the brush in front of her and heard my arrow go into bush, damn , very large doe mature and big and she slowly just walked away into the thickets.
get to the stand and by 11:00am had 15 does come by, 3 i was contemplating taking for a ride as they were right under my stand eating the branches i cleared from my tree, the other 12 were periodically in bow range for about an hour, there were fawns mixed in the group so i did not want to shoot the wrong one (mother) so they all got the free pass today. can't believe not one buck in the whole darn group came through before i left. rut over? i was in a different region on the 28th and had bucks mounting does in front of me.
tomorrow afternoon will be my day 2 hunt.. morning today, afternoon tomorrow as i had the last 5 days off and need to work.
cheers.
BCsniper.Have any pictures of your bucks? What do you find is the best way to hunt the late season bow hunt? forest? fields? travel routes? how long you sitting for ?

as this is the bow season i have spent countless hours looking for spots to put up stands so i enjoy the peace and quiet and just sit and listen and wait. i usually will sit in the middle of a bush on a convergence of trails at 22 feet, most of which these trails go to and fro feeding areas to bedding areas, i find a spot that has ample amount good sign from bucks too. sometimes i am looking for a spot for days before i hang a stand. if its a good day and i have no prior engagements i will sit for anywhere from 4 to 10 hours. time goes by fast when the deer are there and reeeeeaal slow when there is nothing.
.....D

igojuone
12-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I've been waiting for this part of the season as well, most of my rifle time in the field was spent hoping I wouldn't come across some big buck and have to take it with the rifle, sure glad that's behind me.

Ruger4
12-01-2011, 01:38 PM
passed on a few already, been waiting for this week in anticipation of that wandering P&Y !!!!

Pics to follow !! ( I hope ) :mrgreen:

ianwuzhere
12-01-2011, 08:07 PM
rite on- keep us updated. i tend to fall asleep sittin in the stand with no action...
good luck- never know when that booner will step out either!

bugler
12-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Yup, got one stand up and putting a couple more on Saturday. Have most of the next two weeks off. Will be sitting travel routes and laying down a few treats, and praying for a bit more snow!! This is definitely one of my favorite times of the season!

Ddog
12-01-2011, 11:27 PM
just nothing like it,, being the only one in an area and knowing there is a P&Y buck there.
yup nutting like it!

fireguy
12-01-2011, 11:33 PM
My favorite time as well, I actually put a stalk on a nice 4 x 4 mulie this afternoon after passing up bucks all year it is nice to be seeing some shooters. He was deffinatly more interested in the doe he was following than me and she was the one that didn't want to stick around unfortunatly. That and the fact they were just off the side of the road didn't help much as I wasn't really in the hunting mode yet so it took a bit longer to get going.

Foxtail
12-01-2011, 11:44 PM
I spent the 23rd to the 27th in quesnel with a LEH doe tag, I passed on countless deer most were does with fawns, the crazy thing was I saw more bucks than does, lots of spikes 2 pointers(largest 2 point I have ever seen, had at least a 30" spread... way out passed his ears) and 3 pointers. 4 points were open but the only one I saw was 600 yards away. long gone by the time I got to where he was. There was 3" of frozen crunchy snow on the ground which made sneaking up on anything tough. I hunted hard and made several stalks to within bow range on does but I either chose to wait for a big 4 point or the doe would have a fawn. On the last day I was running out of time and daylight so I grabbed the .270 and walked into a block of timber, I followed 4 deer for about 100 yards and then made my way up above them. One was a big 3 point(I tried to grow another tine on him for a very long time lol) chasing a doe, the other 2 were fawns. I moved on along the hill I was on skanning the timber. I spotted 2 does together at about 50 feet. I picked one, Put the crosshairs under her chin and filled my doe tag. I'm upset with myself that I gave up in the end and went with the sure thing and used the rifle. Would have been an easy shot with the bow. I think I'm gonna go up harrison with the bow and see what I can accomplish.

Ddog
12-06-2011, 06:42 PM
well a quick 2 day hunt has produced me some meat for the freezer, took a nice 3x2 WT chasing a doe, was grunting like crazy, i actually had 3 bucks on this hot doe and one was a real nice buck, did not have the shot for him but i did wait until this buck i shot dis-mounted the doe before i arrowed him, at least he got some before his demise. the crazy thing is the doe just stood there as the buck ran about 20 yards and piled up, then this nice spike buck came running down the little hill and took full advantage of the opportunity and mounted the doe and got his rocks off right in front of me! 15 yards at most. I was laughing a little bit loud and theta scared them off, well, not quite off but far away that she stopped and the little guy mounted her again.
then tonight was out and about looking for a big mature doe and thats just what i found when i arrowed her at 20 yards, she turned and bolted to the left , then to the right and then piled up after doing a header into the dirt and a half somersault., one tag left for a big buck and 14 days to try to fill it,
i had 26 does come through the trails with no bucks! secondary rut should be full force in just a little while so heres hoping they start soon.
cheers..D
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/DDOGGY/IMG_0084.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/DDOGGY/IMG_0088.jpg
this is also one of the largest does i have taken in years, and she stunk like a buck!!

Ddog
12-06-2011, 07:29 PM
if anyone is thinking about getting a game cart from Cabelas..two thumbs up for this one! its the one that was around $150 and worth every penny!!
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/DDOGGY/IMG_0086.jpg

Everett
12-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Nice deer was out today with my x bow for the first time in years very peacfull no hunters to seen anywere. You going to hop over to region 8 for a big one now that your tagged out.

Stéphane
12-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Man, it is guys like you that keep me going. No snow, hey? Where we were there wasn't much, but enough to be white everywhere.

Congrats, it is always great for me to read about dedicated bowhunter like you who fully understand why someone like me isn't interested in guns at all. You've proven year after year that archers can be very successful year after year. Thanks for posting these!
SG

Ddog
12-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Just don't give up Stephane, its worth all the time you put in!!

bugler
12-06-2011, 09:11 PM
one tag left for a big buck and 14 days to try to fill it,
i had 26 does come through the trails with no bucks! secondary rut should be full force in just a little while so heres hoping they start soon.
cheers..D

You going to hop over to region 8 for a big one now that your tagged out?

You do know you are tagged out in R 4 now right? Just checking, your post suggests that you might be going for your third deer locally.

Great job on the two deer!! I've been out quite a bit, got some stands in place, but not much happening for me just yet, a few does and a cougar, couple of yearling bucks. Praying for more snow!!!

Ruger4
12-06-2011, 09:20 PM
well a quick 2 day hunt has produced me some meat for the freezer, took a nice 3x2 WT chasing a doe, was grunting like crazy, i actually had 3 bucks on this hot doe and one was a real nice buck, did not have the shot for him but i did wait until this buck i shot dis-mounted the doe before i arrowed him, at least he got some before his demise. the crazy thing is the doe just stood there as the buck ran about 20 yards and piled up, then this nice spike buck came running down the little hill and took full advantage of the opportunity and mounted the doe and got his rocks off right in front of me! 15 yards at most. I was laughing a little bit loud and theta scared them off, well, not quite off but far away that she stopped and the little guy mounted her again.
then tonight was out and about looking for a big mature doe and thats just what i found when i arrowed her at 20 yards, she turned and bolted to the left , then to the right and then piled up after doing a header into the dirt and a half somersault., one tag left for a big buck and 14 days to try to fill it,
cheers..D
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/DDOGGY/IMG_0084.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/DDOGGY/IMG_0088.jpg
this is also one of the largest does i have taken in years, and she stunk like a buck!!

Thats a great day Daryl , lotsa good chewin there !!

Ddog
12-06-2011, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=bugler;1034622]You do know you are tagged out in R 4 now right? Just checking, your post suggests that you might be going for your third deer locally.

My post suggests nothing of the sort, does it say where i was hunting? does it say what region? No it does not, I know my regs and i know where i hunt and i know the bag limits for BC on deer, but hey thanks for looking out for me.
cheers..D

Gateholio
12-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Nice little buck and nice little girl. Congrats! :-D

rocksteady
12-06-2011, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=bugler;1034622]You do know you are tagged out in R 4 now right? Just checking, your post suggests that you might be going for your third deer locally.

My post suggests nothing of the sort, does it say where i was hunting? does it say what region? No it does not, I know my regs and i know where i hunt and i know the bag limits for BC on deer, but hey thanks for looking out for me.
cheers..D

Wheres a bouts did you get the buck??? Was that the one you got when you went to rock Creek???

bugler
12-07-2011, 03:27 PM
but hey thanks for looking out for me.
cheers..D
No worries mate, like I said, just checking. There are far too many guy's out there that do not know the rules that well. Hate to see you blow it.

Ddog
12-07-2011, 03:52 PM
ya close to rock creek, more kinda in the middle from grand forks and rock creek, its the next closest place to go if we want to harvest a 3rd deer, kinda ******ed that in all of region 4 we can only take 2 deer, but hey,,that may be a changing!
cheers..D

moose2
12-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Great story congratulations on your archery success. The deer look good. Best of luck with getting your 3rd one.
Mike