PDA

View Full Version : elk racks

CanuckShooter
09-28-2006, 08:19 AM
I took this picture of an elk shed with missing eye guards...the fellows I was hunting elk with warned me to be careful to count all the points on the elk because some of them in the area we were in would not have all the usual points...has anyone else seen this anywhere else in BC??

CanuckShooter
09-28-2006, 08:31 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/resizerack.jpg

PS>>The fresh rack is 6 pt #2

Fisher-Dude
09-28-2006, 10:36 AM
I took this picture of an elk shed with missing eye guards...the fellows I was hunting elk with warned me to be careful to count all the points on the elk because some of them in the area we were in would not have all the usual points...has anyone else seen this anywhere else in BC??

Yes, it can happen anywhere in BC. Those who look for the top split and shoot are taking a big chance. A local "hunter" :rolleyes: got busted for it with an East Kootenay bull (he was pissed that they took away his bull and fined him $100...I'd say he was lucky that's all that happened!). I saw a huge bull that was shot in northern BC (should have been a 330 - 340 class) that was missing eyeguards, so only had 5 on one side but had a 1" nub on the other side that made it a legal 6. The timing was good as I was with some guys who were saying that all you needed to see was the top split. Count, count again, then count, watch, count, watch, count again, then shoot.

ursus
09-28-2006, 12:24 PM
This is way too common in the musqwa/tuchodi. There are a lot of super 5's that never get 6. They are taking over up north because of the 6point season. The 6 points get shot leaving these big fives to pass on there genes during the fall. Always count to six!

mainland hunter
09-28-2006, 12:38 PM
theres a 5X7 in my gallery like that

Rainwater
09-28-2006, 01:24 PM
That's just a small bull, I don't really see that it's missing anything!

mark
10-01-2006, 10:07 PM
That's just a small bull, I don't really see that it's missing anything!

Agreed! Very typical of a 4 or 5 point elk. But as all the others said they can be missing any one of the typical points so count the points 3 times then double check before shooting. Every year 5 points get shot and left and its very depressing to see!!!

Mark_S
10-02-2006, 02:19 PM
I have about a half dozen Elk sheds in the hay loft that look just like that. Generally a 5 point still has a top split but doesn't have the second eye gaurds yet.

Fisher-Dude
10-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Most of the 4's and 5's that I see in the Kootenays have the 2 eye guards but lack the top split. The 3's have only a single eye guard.