PDA

View Full Version : sheep hunt in region 3

kako99
11-29-2011, 07:23 PM
I was thinking about doing a sheep hunt with a budy in region 3-17, 3-31 or 3-32 next season I was wondering if its worth are time. This will be are first sheep hunt.
Thanks.

KB90
11-29-2011, 07:28 PM
It will take many years of hunting for a bc bighorn before you get a chance to kill one without an LEH, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

Start now and in your lifetime you may get lucky. It's beautiful country out there. If you don't already, start putting in for LEH to up your odds on getting a ram

Deaddog
11-29-2011, 07:50 PM
better hurry though, there has been a number of illegal rams shot in the past two years (in the spence's bridge area) this is causing a great deal of concern with the regional bio's, the fellows who are taking the rams are experienced sheep hunters, so it is very concerning, talk from the bios ranges from curtailing the season with a couple of leh's as well as mature gos to full out closure, unless we as a community get together to make sure these illlegal kills stop, we risk losing this opportunity, stay tuned as more info will be coming out of region three in the next few weeks..DD

frenchbar
11-29-2011, 07:57 PM
better hurry though, there has been a number of illegal rams shot in the past two years (in the spence's bridge area) this is causing a great deal of concern with the regional bio's, the fellows who are taking the rams are experienced sheep hunters, so it is very concerning, talk from the bios ranges from curtailing the season with a couple of leh's as well as mature gos to full out closure, unless we as a community get together to make sure these illlegal kills stop, we risk losing this opportunity, stay tuned as more info will be coming out of region three in the next few weeks..DD

wouldnt surprize me . 2 many 'i just GOTTA have those horns on my wall ' hunters shooting when they shouldnt .

kako99
11-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys, any tips on hunting them it never really interested me, but my buddy keeps asking me to go and its kinda grown on me. I love to hike so I think it would be a great experience for us. Why is it the experienced sheep hunters that get them? is it the location? Or knowing what to look for?

KB90
11-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Theres a member on here (IIRC) he told me it took him over 6 years of hunting them every year before he even saw a legal ram.

You really need to put in your time to learn it, unless your really lucky!

bandit
12-03-2011, 12:20 AM

Latest info from the MOE site they will close the season for "mature" rams to avoid any ambiguity on ageing them

boxhitch
12-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Latest info from the MOE site they will close the season for "mature" rams to avoid any ambiguity on ageing themNot exactly true, but options are being considered

The Dude
12-03-2011, 06:45 AM
Not exactly true, but options are being considered

While not yet law, 3-17 GOS on rams will be governed by horn size, and maturity will be ruled out ( 8 year olds, Dude). I'd be very surprised if that didn't go through, as there's been 8 rams taken in 5 years that were thought to be eight years old, but ended up not being legal. That are known of.

boxhitch
12-03-2011, 06:59 AM
While the annuli counting may go out the window, there probably will still be regs for a mature full curl, to be over the nose, unlike the reg4 full curl.
Wonder how many of those 8 in 5 years were actually shot on curl, but fell back on age once ground shrinkage occured ?

The Dude
12-03-2011, 07:09 AM
That's the proposal now as I understand it. I also think the 8 rams were shot based on annuli. I'll try and find the link.