PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start Grouse hunting

dak0ta
11-29-2011, 01:36 PM
How far out of the LML does one have to go to legally shoot Grouse? I was thinking near Squamish. But where off highway 99?

seanps
11-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Hi! Welcome. This has been asked and answered many times in the last few years.

Search for "grouse" and "Squamish".

The season ends in a few weeks, and if you're going to Squamish, much of the productive grouse habitat is likely under snow by now.

Foxton Gundogs
11-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Here is a question for the question. Are there any little hotspots close in. I remember back in the day while everyone was headed out of town I killed lots of grouse 1/2 hr from home, in some of the wild nut groves etc. Back then it was Glenn Valley, UBC forrest Maple ridge. Some of the forrested rock knobs in pitt polder I relize these are most likely long gone but if a guy scouted I bet he could find some honey holes closer than squamish.

FirePower
11-30-2011, 06:47 PM
There are still some pockets of grouse around. Get out and scout, some of the farm "wood lots" hold a few covies, I have found a couple of spots on both sides of the river that can be productive with dogs.

dak0ta
12-03-2011, 12:41 PM
So basically Squamish isn't the place to go in the next couple of weeks due to the snow coverage?

seanps
12-03-2011, 01:13 PM
I was there yesterday; I'll post to the other thread about Squamish road conditions.

Have you been up there before? Most people hunt out the Squamish Main FSR (begins as the Squamish Valley Road). At the moment, the snow starts just after the hydro station and is easily passable with a 2WD with clearance until about Mile 28 (around BR700). After that, the worn tire tracks aren't very deep and it's rough going -- you'll need a half-ton and good tires. I had to tow another 4Runner up the hill between BR700 and BR780 because he was stuck.

The problem, then, becomes that everyone is clustered in a smaller area because of restricted access. I saw more trucks out yesterday than I have on any Friday this season. There are still grouse around, I bet (I got one), but they'll be very difficult to find. You're more or less stuck hiking up steep spur roads on difficult, crunchy snow, and because of that snow the birds won't be lounging along the side of the road -- they're more likely to be up in thick tree cover, where it's hard to spot them. I find that the ideal time for the Squamish area is late October and November, after the leaves have started falling.

So, it's going to be crowded as everyone seems to be trying to fill their tags before the end of the season, and there are fewer places in which to hunt. By all means, if you haven't been before, there's no harm in going: I'd just suggest making the trip as a scouting mission, and consider it a bonus if you find a bird.

On a related note, the Furry Creek access is limited at the moment too. The area south of the creek is being logged and has new NO TRESPASSING signs up, while the actual Furry Creek FSR that you access off the Brittania road is getting covered up.

PM me if you want more info.

dak0ta
12-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Could you hunt along the Squamish Valley Road? Or do you have to ride to the Squamish Main FSR? Also, what other types of upland birds are there? Ptarmigan? And there should be hares?

seanps
12-04-2011, 10:46 AM
No, Squamish Valley Road is homes and Native land. No ptarmigan.

Some rabbit tracks high up, maybe beginning at 300m elevation. Not many.

Gumsehwah
12-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Try for Ptarmigan near the treeline?