PDA

View Full Version : interesting find

wos
11-28-2011, 10:08 PM
I found this under a tree while hunting the gang ranch last week. http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j321/stevewos/Elkantler_001.jpg
I didn't think they were supposed to have them in that area

tinhorse
11-28-2011, 10:31 PM
I think there were elk in that area long ago but haven't been for a while. I am sure they will be back one day soon as they seem to be spreading everywhere else just ;like the white tails. I dont think the ranchers would be very happy if elk got into the area and am sure that is why they haven't been reintroduced there again.

tinhorse
11-28-2011, 10:32 PM
how was the hunting up there anyways?

11-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Finally ..... some one found it .......... I put it there some 22 years ago....

CT

dana
11-28-2011, 10:44 PM
I've found elk sheds in the highcountry above that area. Was lots of elk in the Cariboo/Chilcotin 150-200 years ago. Amazing how bone in dry country lasts a long time.

Black Lab
11-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Never know what you'll run into. I was hunting up there a number of years ago and here's a Big Bull Bison standing in the middle of a meadow. Most likely belonged to the ranch but who knows for sure. Hard to know where the boundary lines are. Didn't matter though, I didn't have a tag. Still pretty exciting :-D

Big Lew
11-28-2011, 11:00 PM
About 40 years ago, my Father and I spent a little time with the Gang Ranch crew by Gaspard Lake and they mentioned that elk used to inhabit the area. They also said they "discouraged" them because of their appetite for Gang Ranch hay and silage. The crew was very accommodating to us, only asking that we "discourage any bears we saw from frequenting the area. (Damn, I miss those days!)

Jagermeister
11-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Never know what you'll run into. I was hunting up there a number of years ago and here's a Big Bull Bison standing in the middle of a meadow. Most likely belonged to the ranch but who knows for sure. Hard to know where the boundary lines are. Didn't matter though, I didn't have a tag. Still pretty exciting :-DI think it was Alsagar that brought some bison onto the ranch in contravention of wildlife regulations. On top of that, they just kept busting the fences down. They got loose and were even in the Anahim Lake area. One of the fellows from Quesnel was horseback hunting in that area and was charged by a big bull buffalo. He shot it and the head adorns either his house or the RCMP Detachment walls.
The biologist Harold Mitchell was trying to re-introduce elk into the Gaspard/Churn Creek area. He told me that they had found elk horn and had it carbon dated to the early 1800s that coincided with a major global volcanic eruptions. http://www.mitosyfraudes.org/Calen/Year1816.html
In the early 1980s, the ranchers in the area accused the wildlife branch of "dropping off" some elk as some had materialized mysteriously. It was thought at the time that these elk were migratory from the elk herds around Lytton.

hunter1947
11-29-2011, 04:05 AM
Elk can filter out a long ways that elk shed says it all.

warnniklz
11-29-2011, 09:28 AM
I've heard they've relocated rosies into the bella coola area and they'll probably spread.

And like others have said, there was elk here a long time ago.

I know it's in a totally different area, but people have seen (and heard) elk out the Moffat Lake area. And I know multiple people who have seen elk by the fire hall at the end of the Spokin Lake Road. So I'm pretty sure they're moving back in.

The Dude
11-29-2011, 09:58 AM
There were elk until relatively recently in the 3-30's. I've found very old sheds, and my rancher friends have seen elk in the last 5 years. I can't confirm this. Not a huntable population by any means, but it sure would be nice to get them back. More burns?
PS: Whack those whitetails.

swampdonkey
11-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Found one up near peterhope lake 3-20 just like that about 15 years ago

Schutzen
11-29-2011, 02:13 PM
There were elk until relatively recently in the 3-30's. I've found very old sheds, and my rancher friends have seen elk in the last 5 years. I can't confirm this. Not a huntable population by any means, but it sure would be nice to get them back. More burns?

Dude
Yeah the Wolf Pops will enjoy the added variety in their diets! ;>(

Schutzen
11-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Years ago I was reading bout the Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804-1806).
It amazed me to find out that in those days the Elk lived on the Prairies and foothills.
It was only when the white man came in ever increasing numbers and farmed the prairies that the Elk were driven up into the mtns.
Most of lower BC had pops of Elk. Back in the mid 1800's.
As did Van Isle.

LYKTOHUNT
11-29-2011, 02:22 PM
I thought I read a book and I believe it was about or written by Chilco Choate that said they tried to relocate some there, I cannot totally recall if that is correct but it sticks in the brain box.

greybark
11-29-2011, 02:48 PM
I`ve seen Elk near Table Top Mtn and at Lorna Lake .
Cheers

Weatherby Fan
11-29-2011, 02:55 PM

My brother and I have picked up a couple of Elk sheds in 3-30,one on Mount Grant and one at Little Loon Lake

Jagermeister
11-29-2011, 03:50 PM
I wonder if this will work? Small picture, click on it to see if it can be enlarged.
This is a copy of an article by Mia Farrow that appeared in the Vancouver Sun in 1983. Most of the proposal work was done by Harold Mitchell, but his un-timely demise stalled it for at least a year if not longer.
This thread sent me to my copy of Olaus Murie's book, "The Elk of North America" where I just happened to stow the article.
If for some reason it cannot be viewed here, go to my gallery. I think you will be able to view a larger format there.
Clicking on it does not do it, go to the gallery.

Island Idiots
11-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Years ago I was reading bout the Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804-1806).
It amazed me to find out that in those days the Elk lived on the Prairies and foothills.
It was only when the white man came in ever increasing numbers and farmed the prairies that the Elk were driven up into the mtns.
Most of lower BC had pops of Elk. Back in the mid 1800's.
As did Van Isle.

When I was thirteen, I shot a very large bull elk near Dauphin Manitoba. I think there is still an open season.

afflicted 1
11-29-2011, 06:53 PM
found one similar in the medow lake area, my G.G father shot a few around there when he was younger

ianwuzhere
11-29-2011, 07:21 PM
thats kewl find-i think the elk would do good in them grasslands areas. As long as the ranchers agree with them eating their hay in the winter ;)
-be nice to have them all over the province in good numbers/open seasons.. very fun animal to hunt!

Moose Guide
11-29-2011, 07:48 PM
One of the hunters I guided this year took pictures of a 4 or 5 point bull elk where I guide in region 5 and there has never been any around there before(that we know of) A friend of mine has seen elk between Williams Lake and Belle Coola.

wos
11-29-2011, 07:58 PM
one other thing I noted while hunting the inter-lakes area off hwy 24 in October was what seemed to be a good amount of elk droppings in a cut block I was hunting. But I'm no expert in the dropping I.d department. it definitely wasn't moose or deer.

Orangethunder
11-30-2011, 01:59 PM
There are usually sitings in and around the southern cariboo every year. I saw a picture of a beauty 6x6 that was reported to be hanging out not far from 100 Mile. It would be sweet to have a huntable herd here one day. Perhaps with all of the MPB cleanup it will happen?