PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 Conditions

IronNoggin
11-28-2011, 01:59 PM
The time for me to wander off The Rock approaches. Headed over to Westbank on Thursday to hook up with a Good Buddy to chase mulies & whitetails with pointy sticks for a spell. Will be hunting with a well experienced Local who has shown an uncanny ability to ferret out the deer almost each and every season. He's been bugging me for 6 or 7 years to come over for a boo, and this year I finally submitted... LOL!

Obviously not looking for anyone's Honey Hole (but would of course consider that were the info to be forthcoming :twisted:) as my Partner has a good handful of these to explore. Would kind of like to get a handle on what the current conditions as far as snow / access, temperatures and state of the rut (if still happening) in the following areas:

- Zones 8 - 10 & 11 for Mulies
- Zones 8 - 14 & 15 for Whitetails

Should be quite the switch from chasing these Island Ghosts methinks! Hoping for something decent, but more concerned with popping the new bow's Cherry, and some Fine Eating more than anything else...

Any and all advice Welcome & Appreciated!! :mrgreen:

TIA!
Nog

d6dan
11-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Good luck in 8-14,8-15. There's a serious lack of Whitetails. I think the wolves have made an impact.

IronNoggin
11-28-2011, 02:45 PM
...I think the wolves have made an impact.

Are wolves open there? Might make for an interesting distraction... :twisted:

Wondering...

Gunner
11-28-2011, 02:47 PM
No wolf season in Region 8 at the present time.It is proposed by MOE for next year but the Minister doesn't believe there are any wolves here! Gunner

IronNoggin
11-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Bummer. Are the whitetail in as rough shape as d6dan suggested?

comi
11-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Wolves are a major problem Areas completely void of moose Grizzly Swamps very few moose or deer Trails in muddy swamps are now overgrown I had 6 diff. wolves howling around at 10 a.m. Saw no game As for whitetails, numbers are way down and they continue doe season. Ministry has no idea of what has happened in the last few years

PointMan
11-28-2011, 03:01 PM
They definately make an impact, but the funnt thing is, the one place in region 8 that I saw the most WT activity also had the most wolf activity.

d6dan
11-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Bummer. Are the whitetail in as rough shape as d6dan suggested?

Most of my old favorite spots to hunt in 8-15 have no deer, or at least none when I was there in Oct. The wolves have moved in big time.. Lots of my friends that live there only hunt the farm lands now..however, there is the odd lucky hunter.

Fishhound
11-28-2011, 03:29 PM
If I had the opportunity that you have I would go up Highway 33 from Kelowna, try Trapping creek, Carmi creek and Wilkinson creek areas,, with the snow you will know when you find them

doubled
11-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Matt, I am in Westbank too. PM me and we can chat and probably figure something out for you.

DD

Fisher-Dude
11-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Wolves are a major problem Areas completely void of moose Grizzly Swamps very few moose or deer Trails in muddy swamps are now overgrown I had 6 diff. wolves howling around at 10 a.m. Saw no game As for whitetails, numbers are way down and they continue doe season. Ministry has no idea of what has happened in the last few years

Hahahahaha! That's funny, because when I went thru Grizzly Swamps on the 15th, I had never seen so many damned whitetail tracks in my life! Sure, they were all shot off by that doe season, yup, that's it! LOL! :roll:

Bc Deer Hunter
11-28-2011, 07:07 PM
8-12 down the valley my buddys dad and friend both shot 4 piont whities. I think around km 40? Not sure but mulies are for sure moving around in 8-11. I almost stumbled upon a small 3 that was with some does las weekend! :) Hope this helps. Bcdh

aggiehunter
11-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Two whities can make alot of tracks......but I'm sure FD will come up with the "track study" to boggle our minds further.....and as he says "hunting has no impact on wildlife" so don't worry about it.

Fishhound
11-28-2011, 08:17 PM
I was up Grizzly swamps and Brunette main on Saturday, there was very little fresh sign.

The deer in Brunette likely migrated into the Postill lake area, from Grizzly swamps likely moved lower toward Lumby/Lavington area

MerrittBow
11-28-2011, 08:25 PM
could always go to princeton tons of deer there..

jeff
11-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Two whities can make alot of tracks......but I'm sure FD will come up with the "track study" to boggle our minds further.....and as he says "hunting has no impact on wildlife" so don't worry about it.

now thats freaken funny,hahahaahhaaaa.. and so true

Gunner
11-28-2011, 08:31 PM
There's no lack of whitetails in my part of Region 8,does are showing up again after figuring out their season is over.There's wolves around here too,but to this point they haven't "wiped out" the moose or deer.Neither did the doe season.My buck is at the sausagemakers :mrgreen: Gunner

Looking_4_Jerky
11-28-2011, 10:37 PM
I would not hesitate to believe that predators make a dent in populations, but people talk about wolves like they wipe out ungulate populations and then just stick around eating knapweed after the deer are gone. According to the literature, an individual wolf will generally consume <20 deer per year. I don't know the numbers off hand, but I'm sure an MU like 8-14 or 8-15 could have close 10,000 WTD. It would take quite a density of wolves to take even 10% of that annually. Also, wolves tend to go heavy on fawns, so the breeding stock is less impacted and population declines due to predation tend to occur over longer cycles.

Some areas may be impacted greater than others by wolves, but for the most part the deer will still be around.

hunter1993ap
11-28-2011, 10:41 PM
now thats freaken funny,hahahaahhaaaa.. and so true
x2 funny!!!!

bubba350
11-28-2011, 11:03 PM
took a buck in 8-14 on wednesday. came home for the grey cup and going back on this thursday to take a wt doe with the bow. Saw lots of sign lots of deer but a real lack of mature bucks. also the rut is alittle behind. no bucks chasing does yet. (as of last thursday)

Gunner Staal
11-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Hunted Summerland area all weekend. Tough conditions with very high winds. Snow is not an issue below 4000 feet. Most trails have very little after a melt last week. Tough spot and stalk conditions due to crunchy snow conditions and very little moved in that wind. Mule rut is still active in the area. A pile of T-cam pics this week with mule bucks all over does. Temps are above zero but humidity has been up which makes er feel colder than it is. Winter ranges are full, good luck.

ufishifish2
11-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Caught a 4x4 mulie monted on a doe yesterday. Rut's still going here!!!

IronNoggin
11-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks Fellas, Now I'm about as confused as I've ever been... :confused:

There are deer almost everywhere to be found if you look.
There are No deer left as the Wolves ate them all.

There are only a couple of deer left, but they wander constantly in order to leave as many tracks as possible.

There is no snow.
The snow is downright crunchy.

The rut hasn't started yet.
The rut is over.
The rut is roaring right along as it should be...

And armed with all of that, I will now set forth to find the non-rutting rutters, track-leaving demons that eat wolves at every occasion and that wander in search of crunchy snow to leave those tracks in order to draw hunters away from the main herd in their summer ranges. :mrgreen:

That about sum it up? Great! http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif

On my way shortly now!! :twisted:

Cheers & Thanks!! http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/7.gif
Nog

doubled
11-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks Fellas, Now I'm about as confused as I've ever been... :confused:

There are deer almost everywhere to be found if you look.
There are No deer left as the Wolves ate them all.

There are only a couple of deer left, but they wander constantly in order to leave as many tracks as possible.

There is no snow.
The snow is downright crunchy.

The rut hasn't started yet.
The rut is over.
The rut is roaring right along as it should be...

And armed with all of that, I will now set forth to find the non-rutting rutters, track-leaving demons that eat wolves at every occasion and that wander in search of crunchy snow to leave those tracks in order to draw hunters away from the main herd in their summer ranges. :mrgreen:

That about sum it up? Great! http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif

On my way shortly now!!

Cheers & Thanks!! http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/7.gif
Nog

Don't forget to bring beer too so you can throw those Lucky cans all over our roads. :mrgreen:

GoatGuy
11-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Lots of deer and they're sill chasing girls, same as every other year. Snow is crunchy so sitting is the ticket.

Good luck.

orso
11-29-2011, 12:57 PM
I was up in Grand forks around nov 11 and I have to say the place in years past has always been really good for whitetail, but this year I saw 2 the whole weekend I was there. I think this month long doe season they have been having has really impacted the deer population, just my 2 bits.

coach
11-29-2011, 01:09 PM
I think this month long doe season they have been having has really impacted the deer population, just my 2 bits.

How many days are in a month?

Lots of deer around. Conditions change by the day. Both Mules and Whitetails are chasing does. Best of luck, 'Nog. Looking forward to hearing about your success!

IronNoggin
11-30-2011, 02:46 PM
... Best of luck, 'Nog. Looking forward to hearing about your success!

Thanks Coach! Appreciated! Hopefully I'll have something worthy of posting upon my return...

Thanks to the many that took a moment to PM me! A whole lot of useful information Gentz!! And for that I VERY much THANK YOU!! :-D

My Partner has been scouting the chosen areas a LOT of late. He informs me that there are likely enough around to keep us entertained. Won't be overly difficult in my case. I've taken a good handful of decent Mulies and Whitetails over my hunting career, and this go will very much focus on simply collecting something with the bow. Been a spell, and I ain't going to be overly fussy. Of course if Ol' Mossyhorns happens to wander by... :twisted:

Of in the early tomorrow. Just packing the final bit of kit, then pacing until departure time!! http://bestsmileys.com/anxious/4.gif

Catch up with ya'll on The Flipside... http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/sailor.gif

Cheers,
Nog

hunter69
11-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Good Luck Nog!

Will be nice to be chasing Fur and Bones rather than Scales and Fins....I know I enjoyed my time away from it, but leaves me craving more..

doubled
11-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Drive safe, talk to you tomorrow.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Was snowing heavy when I left the bush last night so I was hopefull that things would be a lot quieter today. Still super crunchy.

Good luck!

SSS

savagecanuck
11-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Muley bucks are finally showing up in the lower parts of the Okanagan with all the upper elevation snowI will be out all weekend chasing them with a pointy stick

PointMan
11-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Muley bucks are finally showing up in the lower parts of the Okanagan with all the upper elevation snowI will be out all weekend chasing them with a pointy stick
Should have good luck, I could have shot a dozen of them today.

IronNoggin
12-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Should have good luck, I could have shot a dozen of them today.

That's what I was hoping to hear!! :mrgreen:

Fingers crossed, bow & gear packed. Saddling up and On My Way!!

Thanks again Folks for the info & advice! Now to try and put that to some good use!! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin
12-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Few days into it now...

Mulies about alright, the rut is well over from what we have seen. Had an "interesting" encounter with a nice 4 point yesterday... more on that upon my return...

Whitetails seem much scarcer than I would have guessed. We've looked all over around Rock Creek, Christian Valley, Lumby, Cherryville and more. Not much for tracks in the snow (too damn crunchy alright!) and little in the way of sightings. Whine whine whine! LOL!

Thought perhaps someone might be able to provide something of a suggestion as to where to concentrate the efforts next?

Hoping here...

Cheers & TIA!
Nog

GoatGuy
12-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Few days into it now...

Mulies about alright, the rut is well over from what we have seen. Had an "interesting" encounter with a nice 4 point yesterday... more on that upon my return...

Whitetails seem much scarcer than I would have guessed. We've looked all over around Rock Creek, Christian Valley, Lumby, Cherryville and more. Not much for tracks in the snow (too damn crunchy alright!) and little in the way of sightings. Whine whine whine! LOL!

Thought perhaps someone might be able to provide something of a suggestion as to where to concentrate the efforts next?

Hoping here...

Cheers & TIA!
Nog

They'll be bunched up in the timber with the current conditions. Don't like to paw if they don't have to and the big opens will be crusted right up. Would be looking for 15+ year old regen (thinned stuff is better) with good browse, or a small deciduous patch then find the trails into it. Sit, wait.

PointMan
12-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Few days into it now...

Hoping here...

Cheers & TIA!
Nog
PM inbound