PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 Moose Rut

beeker
09-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Does anyone know when the moose usually rut in the okanagan? Is it already over or just beginning ? Just curious as we will be heading out for 5 days on friday.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-27-2006, 06:46 PM
I've heard that they've cancelled the rut in the OK this year:wink: .

From what I've heard the peak of the primary rut in from Oct 1-7 here in the OK. Matches what I've witnessed.

SSS

Jelvis
09-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Beek: > You will hit it right on the button, moose rut starting Sept 15th til Oct 20th, peak of rut > > Oct 3 to 7th , use cow call and calf call. or just drive around swamps, willow bushes, clear cuts etc in early morning and towards evening to dark. Bulls will wonder any time of the day looking for a cow to mate, but likes dark better but the mating drives him to look even in daylight. Jel 9276

nykoma
09-27-2006, 07:37 PM
thats what i've heard its best for the two first weeks of Oct.:grin:

CNE
09-27-2006, 08:51 PM
No way Jelvis... Peak is October 4th to 8th.

beeker
09-27-2006, 08:52 PM
thanks for the info guys... looks like calling will still be effective during our trip... now to find the elusive immature bull moose:lol:

CNE
09-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Good luck Calling him... He'll just turn around and run. He's been gettin beat up by everyone bigger than him for a while now.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Stick to cow calling as the little guys still think they have a chance for some girly action.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
09-28-2006, 05:55 AM
I had a 5 x 5 wake me up from a nap :redface: in the middle of the day on Sunday (24th) he was grunting so much. He walked out broadside about 60 yards away as drunk as they get. He started running towards me when I gave a cow call, but stopped when he saw the dog then ran right down the middle of the skid road and into the bush. He was at the peak of the rut. I've never heard a bull grunt in such rapid succession before. This guy was really wound up! Where's my LEH when I need it???

Fred
09-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Beeker is right, immature only! :-( The only thing I have seen is really biguns. Fred

Stone Sheep Steve
09-28-2006, 12:42 PM
I had a 5 x 5 wake me up from a nap :redface: in the middle of the day on Sunday (24th) he was grunting so much. He walked out broadside about 60 yards away as drunk as they get. He started running towards me when I gave a cow call, but stopped when he saw the dog then ran right down the middle of the skid road and into the bush. He was at the peak of the rut. I've never heard a bull grunt in such rapid succession before. This guy was really wound up! Where's my LEH when I need it???
You don't need an LEH F/D. Just shoot him:eek: .................................................. ....with your camera:lol: .

Our favorite taxidermist just told me a similar story of a bull he just shot that was grunting in rapid succession just like you described. Heading out today for 4 days to try to fill our shared LEH. Should be good timing.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
09-28-2006, 01:46 PM
You don't need an LEH F/D. Just shoot him:eek: .................................................. ....with your camera:lol: .

Our favorite taxidermist just told me a similar story of a bull he just shot that was grunting in rapid succession just like you described. Heading out today for 4 days to try to fill our shared LEH. Should be good timing.

SSS

I did take a couple of pics, but with no telephoto, it will just be a black dot! Did our taxidermist have an LEH, go north, or get an immy?

Good luck on your hunt, lots of pics please!

ratherbefishin
09-29-2006, 07:54 PM
I got an early LEH for 5-13c a couple of yeares ago-and didn't even see a bull,but a check of the fishpot lake resort website showed the bulk of the moose taken was around mid October