PDA

View Full Version : Good Hunting Resources

PointMan
11-27-2011, 09:37 PM
I've had a pretty good year this year, cut 3 tags, a far cry from the one tag I cut last year, and MUCH better than 0 cut the year before. Thanks in no small part to all the guys and gals that offered me tips, advice, ride alongs, etc to help me get on track.

Next season I plan on upping the ante a bit and trying for horns instead of just meat. I have a few locations in mind I want to stake out, but I want to be sure I'm attempting the proper approach. Any suggestions on resources, such as books, magazines or what have you that might be of some help?

huntwriter
11-27-2011, 09:56 PM
The "next level up" is a simple matter of proper scouting and selecting the right spots to stalk or set up an ambush and be more selective in what you're shooting. This often means not shooting anything for a long time.

The "secret" to big buck hunting is hard work and total dedication.

Spend as much time in the field observing, scouting and making notes as possible, and do it all BEFORE the hunting season opens. Look for places other hunters don't go because they are either to close to communities (Every year someone kills a huge buck right outside my hometown where no other hunter wants to go because it is to close to people and you can hear the traffic on the highway), to far away or to difficult to get to. Learn everything you possible can about the animal spices you hunt, become an expert on their behaviour, communication and social structure.

Of course it helps to find areas that are known for having trophy potential and fairly large deer populations. To find these locations look through the posts on this and other forums, make notes of where others have killed big deer. I also recommended reading the latest publication of the BC Trophy book, and finally talk to as many hunters as you find willing to share information.

BillBraskii
11-27-2011, 10:00 PM
The "next level up" is a simple matter of proper scouting and selecting the right spots to stalk or set up an ambush and be more selective in what you're shooting. This often means not shooting anything for a long time.

The "secret" to big buck hunting is hard work and total dedication.

Spend as much time in the field observing, scouting and making notes as possible, and do it all BEFORE the hunting season opens. Look for places other hunters don't go because they are either to close to communities (Every year someone kills a huge buck right outside my hometown where no other hunter wants to go because it is to close to people and you can hear the traffic on the highway), to far away or to difficult to get to. Learn everything you possible can about the animal spices you hunt, become an expert on their behaviour, communication and social structure.

Of course it helps to find areas that are known for having trophy potential and fairly large deer populations. To find these locations look through the posts on this and other forums, make notes of where others have killed big deer. I also recommended reading the latest publication of the BC Trophy book, and finally talk to as many hunters as you find willing to share information.

Post up some of the big bucks you've killed.
How many 'spices' of deer have you harvested??