PDA

View Full Version : Got the calbre...need the make and model

PGKris
09-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Well I've narrowed it down to two different guns....and everyone has a preference one or the other. I like both. Cost is fairly close. It hurts to spend money (and I'm not even close to spending it yet!)

Two choices:

Remington model 700 Mountain LSS .270 cal ($849.95)

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless .270 cal ($779.95)

Let me have it.
Kris

FullDraw
09-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Both good guns I would buy the one you like best as there isn't that much of a price gap, Why the .270?

FullDraw

PGKris
09-27-2006, 01:57 PM
.270 for goats, deer and coyotes. And whatever else I feel comfortable shooting with it. Mainly goats.

bigwhiteys
09-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Kris,

I bought a nearly new Tikka T3 Lite S/S in .270 off of CanadianGunNutz for $800.00 and that included a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope and shipping.

Very impressed with the gun although it does have a bigger kick then most .270s I've fired. Also keep note that the Tikka (plastic) Magazines are not cheap to replace or if you need an extra one. They are around $100.

My dad has a Remington M700 .270 Sheep Rifle that he won through FNAWS and it's also an awesome gun.

I say find the best deal and go for that... I watched on CGN for a few months until the .270 I bought popped up.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

bighornbob
09-27-2006, 02:45 PM
I missed that last thread but if the gun is for mainly goats I would up the caliber.

BHB

FullDraw
09-27-2006, 03:18 PM
I would look at the .308 Norma
FullDraw

Marc
09-27-2006, 03:24 PM
He was trying to decide between the .243 and the .270 for hunting goat, deer and yote. So now he's narrowed it down to the .270 now he 's trying to decide what make of rifle.

Marc.

Kirby
09-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Remington 700. Magazines are better, triggers are nicer(IMO), and I personally just love remingtons.

As to the opinion that you need to go bigger, or magnum etc short of Griz there is nothing in BC I wouldn't hunt with a .270 willingly and feel I had more than enough power.

Kirby

oldtimer
09-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Agree 100 % with Kirby. I used a 270 for a lot of years before Chris got it and he killed more moose with it than I did. Mike

Steeleco
09-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Don't even think about the Remy. Tikka all the way, and before I get stomped on I don't own either!!! (Browning!!) Have read about the Tikka and it's out of the box accuracy reputation. The Remy is a nice unit but they're like a 10-22. Tinker guns. Shoot good but will shoot better after tinkering. The Tikka is good to go. Unless a really good deal comes your way I'd be leaning this way. My2C

Kirby
09-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Don't even think about the Remy. Tikka all the way, and before I get stomped on I don't own either!!! (Browning!!) Have read about the Tikka and it's out of the box accuracy reputation. The Remy is a nice unit but they're like a 10-22. Tinker guns. Shoot good but will shoot better after tinkering. The Tikka is good to go. Unless a really good deal comes your way I'd be leaning this way. My2C

Have you shot either? I have owned numerous Remis and have used tikkas lots. I have found out of the box accuracy is good to go with either of them. You sure can tinker with them, and there is a reason, they are a great platform to build custom rigs off, but that doesn't make them a great out of the box rig.

Kirby

Gus
09-27-2006, 04:11 PM
You already know my thoughts, but I'd definitly go with the t3

Ozone
09-27-2006, 04:13 PM
I sure like my Tikka

todbartell
09-27-2006, 04:17 PM
700 lss mtn. hard to beat the feel of these rifles, and they're very good looking, and usually shoot terrific

Steeleco
09-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Have you shot either? I have owned numerous Remis and have used tikkas lots. I have found out of the box accuracy is good to go with either of them. You sure can tinker with them, and there is a reason, they are a great platform to build custom rigs off, but that doesn't make them a great out of the box rig.

Kirby

You bet, shot both. I actually prefer Browning, but that wasn't one of Kris's options. My hunting buddy has owned quite a few of both and has found the Tikka's to be his choise over the Remy. I agree both are good but MY thoughts for an out of the box gun is Tikka, (even over Browning!!!)

Gateholio
09-27-2006, 04:38 PM
get the one you like the best, it is a toss up....

Benthos
09-27-2006, 04:41 PM
remington.

personally i don't like the feel of the tikkas

RiverOtter
09-27-2006, 08:55 PM
This is probably a choice you best make on your own. Fit and feel is something only you can determine. If you like floor plates over clips, I don't think Tikka gives you that option. Having shot a couple different Tikka's for buddies, I have nothing but good to say about their out of the box accuracy. Having only owned Remingtons, I don't see how you can go wrong there either. You load TSX's in either one of those .270's, and you'll never look back.

Decisions, decisions...........ahhh, the life of a young gun nut in training.........(grin)

RO

Schmaus
09-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Found:
1 Barely used tikka stainless synthetic .270 with leupold scope

Hank Hunter
09-27-2006, 10:14 PM
PGKris excellent choice. The 270 is awesome, now go try both your picks and get the one that feels right. Forget everyone elses personal bias.

PGKris
09-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Well that's about as close to a 50/50 split as you can get. Dang. Schmaus I will try and get a hold of you when I have a chance. I'm not buying now. I have other stuff to buy first. I was planning on buying in spring or summer.

I'm leaning remington because we're kind of a remington family lol. But the Tikka does come with higher praise. I don't know yet. I think 'm going to try and shoot both first.
Thanks guys keep it coming
Kris

CanuckShooter
09-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Tikka all the way....just so smooth an action!!

willyqbc
09-28-2006, 07:47 AM
I faced the same question buying my new rifle last year. I ended up going with the Remington LSS...heres why

detachable mag was metal not plastic on the remmy

R3 recoil pad on the remmy is awesome

Remington just felt more substantial and solidly built to me

Remmy has better resaleability down the road as so many people use the action for custom builds (not that I would sell it:lol: )

Both will be very accurate right out of the box so weigh the good and bad but in the end it has to fit you and come to your shoulder well etc...so as was stated above, go try them both.

Chris

sealevel
09-28-2006, 08:22 AM
I myself would look for a slightly used m700 remi bdl and put a plastic stock on it if thats what turns you on! but you buy what you like. cause you`r the one has to use it.

shortroot
09-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Does the Rem700 Mountain LSS even come with a detachable clip, I thought all of the stainless laminates were drop hinge?

I currently own both rifles the remmy is in .270, the tikka is in .300WM.

Both were very accurate out of the box. I handload everything for the Tikka, but the Remmy shoots 1/2 - 3/4" groups with Federal 140gr. TSX factories. The Remmy is a much nicer looking gun (IMHO), but I love shooting the Tikka.

I also like the ability to carry a spare clip for quick reload, just in case of a bad encounter with a toothed creature. I love the Tikka and the way it feels and shoots, but I will probably go with a Sako on all future rifles due to the "no plastic" construction.

Both will suit your needs, but I prefer having a clip. I may be wrong, but I don't think the stainless laminate in the Remmy mountain comes with this option, at least I did not see one when I pruchased mine this spring.

Will
09-28-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm leaning remington because we're kind of a remington family lol. But the Tikka does come with higher praise. I don't know yet. I think 'm going to try and shoot both first.
Thanks guys keep it coming
Kris
Kris,
I've owned a "few" Tikkas:rolleyes: They are Excellent Rifles for the money no doubt about it. They shoot well. The triggers are amazingly simple to adjust for your preference(single allen screw) the stocks usually fit most folks okay. The recoil pads suck but in 270 this may not be a prob.... The Plastic parts (triggerguard, bolt shroud, clip) are a BIG turn off for alot of folks but my experiences with them was ZERO failures due to these inferior Plastic parts. So it's basically a cosmetic mental thing....if plastic or the thought of it on an $800+ dollar rifle doesn't bug you then you're good to go with the Tikka.

However until Tikka finds some way to make a Cheap alloy to replace the Gaudy Plastic (this is my Personnal oppinion) then I'd go with the Remington 700 hands down.
The triggers are also fairly easily adjustable if you know what to do. The stocks fit well, recoil pads are Great. Down the road the Custom Options are Limitless as well.
You'll never get Bored with a 700;)

A Stainless Laminate Mountain rifle in 270 would be one Slick Rifle.
And ALL metal too:lol:

Krico
09-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Another vote for the Tikka. If you're looking at doing a custom down the road the Remington is a better choice no question, but why wouldn't you just buy the action if doing a custom. Buy the gun that feels best to you. And don't purchase the Remington based on the nicer "looking" stock. After a few goat hunts it won't be so pretty. Yes the extra clips for Tikkas are expensive, but you would have to try very hard to break one-it's not your run of the mill plastic. Both are good guns.

Ride
09-28-2006, 03:54 PM
I love my model 700 in .280

I say go with the remington for every reason you have already heard and i don't have to repost.....

Huli Huli
09-28-2006, 04:05 PM
I have a Tikka T3 SS in 7MM. Had a couple problems with it, none that couldn't be fixed. The bolt got jacked around on horseback while going to retrieve an elk. Tricky to fix, but we did. Built in safety to protect yourself from yourself caused me to miss a 5x5 elk. Firing pin didn't drop sufficiently as I was too careful being quiet and didn't do a full drawing of the bolt. The plastic magazine was mentioned, also it only holds 3 rounds. If you want a metal magazine and four rounds, a Sako will hurt your wallet a little more.

I am shooting a Ruger M77 in 30.06 and it just worked well in Africa for plains game of fair size. Drawback is no box mag for the Ruger.

Someone else mentioned a .308 Norma. I have one and it is great.

PGKris
09-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Maybe I shoud say that I'm a factory load shooter and I will not, ever, tinker with my guns. Trigger pull...maybe...MAYBE....but as far custom stuff...not bloody likely. The plastic parts are a turn off, beause well they're plastic. I'm going to have to shoot both to be sure.
Kris

todbartell
09-28-2006, 08:09 PM
I guess once ya got a Bubba'd enfield 303, there is no need to tinker past that level :lol: ;)

PGKris
09-28-2006, 08:12 PM
It's a parker hale. And it doesn't matter what you shoot, as long as you can shoot it. Same can be said for cars....another specialty of yours?
Some guys tinker and tinker and tinker and still cant shoot for crap. I buy stock and shoot well.
Guns come easy to me. The .303 has its problems but she's been good to me so far.

FullDraw
09-28-2006, 10:46 PM
PGKris I would look at the Browning A-bolt and try one out if you get a chance, they shot well and are well built. Just a thought.

FullDraw

todbartell
09-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Maybe I shoud say that I'm a factory load shooter and I will not, ever, tinker with my guns. Trigger pull...maybe...MAYBE....but as far custom stuff...not bloody likely. The plastic parts are a turn off, beause well they're plastic. I'm going to have to shoot both to be sure.
Kris

that is ignorance of success

604shooter
09-29-2006, 08:19 AM
Loved my Tikka....that is until I traded it for a Steyr.