PDA

View Full Version : How duck hunting should be.

Crazy_Farmer
11-26-2011, 12:17 PM
As much as corn fields and mallards go hand in hand, there's something to be said for a flooded timber hunt.

After enough time in a field shooting mallard after mallard, greenhead after greenhead, come december its time to move onto the water. The river, sloughs, ponds and sheetwater. We cut our teeth on duck ponds growing up and there's just a better sense of substance to a duck hunt over water. Dont get me wrong, field shootings great, but give me a duck over water or over land I'll take the water. They are "water"fowl now arent they?

All the mallards had moved from our fields to another no shoot zone but Dad saw just a couple mallards in our flooded timber spot. And with a forecast of 50mm+ today we figured we didnt want to be a laydown getting soaked.

The thing with this spot, is once a duck comes down and commits, they are roughly 10 feet from the blind as they like to cut close to a tree near the blind before they decoy. This gives for some excellent shooting........and excellent misses hahahahah. And you also know if a duck comes through the treeline it is a certain yardage to the canopy and you can take em then too. I want to get a 20" barrel for my A5 becuase they're in so tight.

And it was nice to see multiple flocks of wigeon flying around, buzzing into the decoys. Even got a gadwall to cut off a flock of wigeon and come in. I've seen enough mallards hit the dirt the month of november its time to see the "other" ducks start to fall.

The front of the famous "Wood(he) Miss" blind.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/2-16.jpg

Hank has his own corner of the blind with ramp.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/1-18.jpg

This duck salami is great, been having it in sandwiches everyday for work. Fry it up on the pan too. The honey garlic pepperoni is pretty good too.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/P1050110.jpg

fowlweather
11-26-2011, 12:28 PM
great day guys... i have to admit i made some duck pepperoni as well its real tasty

Jetboater
11-26-2011, 01:26 PM
are you guys making the pepperoni your self or getting some one to make it for you?

Crazy_Farmer
11-26-2011, 02:01 PM
A butcher shop makes it. 2.50 a lb for anything smoked. 20-30lbs for a batch of whatever. Lots of choices

Tanya
11-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Sounds like fun! Worked this morning, so no ducks for me. The salami looks very nice.

aliagha
11-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Excellent duck hunting CF!

Foxton Gundogs
11-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Looks like you had fun, the marsh here has slowed down and not enuff water in the fields yet. I am envious

huckle buck
11-26-2011, 04:49 PM
yep i think your blesed whith your spots good job you no how to drop theam

lorneparker1
11-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Great shoot fellas!

303Brit
11-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Nice work boys, looks like a blast

Bobby Jr
11-27-2011, 09:48 AM
that salami and pepperoni looks good. where abouts are you located? I got salami made from my deer last year and i was very disappointed, tastes more like bologna. I'm saving up my ducks this year for pepperoni.

Beard
11-27-2011, 01:02 PM
how many ducks should I have generally speaking for pepperoni and salami? I was just wondering as it looks great. most butchers will do this for you what is the general rate?

lorneparker1
11-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Looks like you had fun, the marsh here has slowed down and not enuff water in the fields yet. I am envious

Really? Frick after this weeks storms, every feild is flodded, lakes every where. Its not good. The birds are spread out 50 here 50 there 100 there 20 there all over the valley. Tough to pin point a big group when its like this

Foxton Gundogs
11-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Really? Frick after this weeks storms, every feild is flodded, lakes every where. Its not good. The birds are spread out 50 here 50 there 100 there 20 there all over the valley. Tough to pin point a big group when its like this

yah pretty strange OK but the spot is kinda a little dip on a sidehill that runs down to the marsh. Checked it out today and theres a bit of a "puddle" starting to form so hopefully. Not enuff water in the field and to much in the marsh so the birds are hanging to the middle. and not decoying into the sides musch anymore but that will change too if its like last year.