PDA

View Full Version : Cormorants.

lorneparker1
11-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Seems the population round these parts is increasing... I have seen them decimate fish stocks back east and make small islands inhabitable with there shit.

Why no season? Bet they taste like meganser...

Lorne

field marshal
11-25-2011, 09:23 PM
I bet you Wrongtarians eat those ugly black SHAGS don't you Porky???? Cheers---Field Marshal.

ROEBUCK
11-25-2011, 09:39 PM
I bet you Wrongtarians eat those ugly black SHAGS don't you Porky???? Cheers---Field Marshal.

now theres a bird that can do a lot of damage to fish stocks
beats me why we cant shoot em !

Bow Walker
11-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Yup - population is bound to explode and grow, nobody in their right mind would shoot one to eat it...............well, maybe finngun - seems he likes mergansers a lot.

finngun
11-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Yup - population is bound to explode and grow, nobody in their right mind would shoot one to eat it...............well, maybe finngun - seems he likes mergansers a lot. hi bow-- i think i pass that one...and i never seen cormoran in north oganagan.anyways.. but merganser--tasty.try one..

f350ps
11-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Seems the population round these parts is increasing... I have seen them decimate fish stocks back east and make small islands inhabitable with there shit.

Lorne
I think yer just lookin for more critters to ground sluice! K

lorneparker1
11-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Possibly, I'll tell you what if it was up to me i would kill a commie anyway i could.

Lorne

Marc
11-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Back east there was no bag limit on shags, many a youngster would go through a box or two of shells for practice. We used to have thousands of these birds feeding on what ever they could manage to get down their throats.

Bow Walker
11-26-2011, 11:24 AM
hi bow-- i think i pass that one...and i never seen cormoran in north oganagan.anyways.. but merganser--tasty.try one..
That is very likely the sole reason that your merganser was edible - being up in the Okanagon rather than down here on the coast.

I've eaten - and liked - ducks that I've shot up around Aspen Grove that I would never think about eating down here on the coast.

Ian F.
11-26-2011, 04:52 PM

Lorne

THERE IS NO correlation between Shags and stock declines, just another target that is not "us" and our practices.... Here's a simple ecology lesson, if the shags could kill all the fish, why are there still fish? and why were the fish runs the greatest before our impact? Mother nature has it pretty well figured out, we just can't help ourselves!

Nekhani
11-26-2011, 05:46 PM
When Coastal Salmon stocks and escapement of fry are currently at an all time low and near non-existent in some of the coastal watersheds it does not help the situation when there is many families of mergansers or comorants ( which are obviously poor table fare ) relentlously devouring what is left of the fry that is struggling to survive in the creekmouths.

If desirable/edible species are going to survive then there has to be a balance. Mother Nature has her long die off cycles but they take a very long time and we can easily help to ensure survival of the desired species. Hunters should take part in that balance to allow the desirable/edible species to survive so we can maintain healthy stocks and reasonable seasons to harvest the fish and wildlife.

Predators like Wolves, Mergansers, Seals, Sea lions that prey on desirable species like ungulates, wild salmon and steelhead need to be thinned out and kept in check otherwise you will only have seals, wolves and sea lions to eat.

Pour as much milk on the predators and marinate them as long as you want..still going to taste like sh...

lorneparker1
11-26-2011, 07:21 PM
THERE IS NO correlation between Shags and stock declines, just another target that is not "us" and our practices.... Here's a simple ecology lesson, if the shags could kill all the fish, why are there still fish? and why were the fish runs the greatest before our impact? Mother nature has it pretty well figured out, we just can't help ourselves!

Quite possibly, As i have no science to back it up. However, it is pretty coincedental, and they definitely arent helping.

finngun
11-26-2011, 09:56 PM
That is very likely the sole reason that your merganser was edible - being up in the Okanagon rather than down here on the coast.
I've eaten - and liked - ducks that I've shot up around Aspen Grove that I would never think about eating down here on the coast.

you might be very well correct right there.. mallards taste really exell. here graine fed most i quess..cheers f-g

longshot
11-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Hmmm... I shot a mallard today in the corn that smelled discusting!! Dead salmon all the way!! :( Wouldnt even want to know how a Cormorant would smell.... lol.

Longshot jr.