PDA

View Full Version : Looking for GPS input

Pioneerman
11-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi , I am looking at getting a new GPS for the ATV and packing around. I have been using the Lowrance H2Oc for a few years, but it is shutting down on me too often. So what I am thinking about is the Garmin as it can interface with Google earth. I see Gpscity.com sent me a email today showing the Garmin Oregon 450 on for $219 but the reviews say the screen is not bright and eats batteries, anyone use one of these? I would also like one that I can use rechargeable batteries in so it recharges when plugged into the bike. I am open to other models, but want to be able to use it with Google earth.

Thanks...Mike

Ry151
11-25-2011, 11:35 PM
I haven't used those specific models but you can't go wrong with garmin! ( just my opinion) Most mapping software works with them. For hunting/ hiking I would make sure they can take AA or AAA battery's so that you can replace then while out on a hunt.

Jagermeister
11-26-2011, 12:09 AM
You should be able to find a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx on sale somewhere. Now comes the part that always gets the arguments going about what software to use. I use the early version of TOPO Canada. It does not show the itsy bitsy stuff like Backroads does such as depicted on their mapbook. However, I have been using TOPO Canada long before Backroads appeared in GPS's and it has worked well for me.
I use a 1GB micro SD card and have most of BC, some of the Yukon, southern Alberta and Saskatchewan loaded on from my computor.

BiG Boar
11-26-2011, 10:57 AM
I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx I have had since last season. If you want to buy it I would part with it at a fair price. Comes with the back roads map books chip for BC, PM me if you're interested

Mark_S
11-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Car kits and charger kits are available for many of the Garmin units. If you go to Garmins website and look at a model you are interested in and click accessories it will show you what is available.

Badbrutus
11-26-2011, 04:32 PM
I have the Garmin GPSMap 62 and I love it. I use it with the B.C. Backroads Map Book chip and the detail is great. Lots of accessories available including rechargeable batteries or the car plug in adapter. It interfaces with Garmins Base map program and does more than you will ever need. GPS city has them on sale right now for $279.00

houndogger
11-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Mike go with the garmin!

BernDawg
11-27-2011, 08:57 AM
I have a Magellan and will NEVER buy another one! Go with a Garmin product but beware the batteries... find one that takes AA's as I have found that over all the unit will stay powered on much longer than a rechargeable pack or AAA's. Mine takes AAA's and it only stays powered up for about 4 hrs and I have to put in new batts (8 with Lithium batts$$$$) If nothing else just the cost of AAA's over AA's should raise a flag when selecting a new unit.

huntinnewbie
11-27-2011, 09:10 AM
My cousin is a geocaching nut and has been for about 10 years. His recommendation to us was the Garmin Etrex Legend.
He said it does all you want and is easy to use. Crappy Tire has the Etrex Legend Hcx I think that's the letters on sale for $179.00 right now.

Gun Dog
11-27-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm a fan of Garmin and currently use a GPSMAP 60Cx with Garmin's TopoCanada. If you're using it with an ATV then get a RAM mount for mounting (they make a lot of custom mounts) and a 12V adaptor to power the GPS. GPS units with replaceable AA batteries typically don't have a charging circuit. At best they'll trickle charge the batteries in the unit. (GPS units with a built in battery might be a different story.) gpscentral.ca (http://www.gpscentral.ca/) is a good place to do research and the prices are hard to beat.

Ry151
11-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Does anyone use the birds eye satalite imagery the can be loaded into the garmin units? I use google earth alot on my iPhone and like it so is it worth getting a gps that can do this as well when you have no service?

Pioneerman
11-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks everyone. I have owned just about every brand out there since they came out 16 years ago or so. I really do like my Lowrance H20c, but it is failing, plus it did not interface with Google eartrh, and the Garmin does, so it will probably be my choice. But as I mentioned all the reviews talk about dull screens that need to be brighter or that they eat batteries, so that is why I was hoping top find a model that recharges while plugged into my atv. I might write Garmin and see what they suggest.

I have seen the Etrex and was never impressed with it found it too limited compared to all other models, unless they have changed them dramatically over the years.

Thanks again.....Mike

Gun Dog
11-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Garmin (and probably others) use a transreflective LCD. It uses a reflective layer behind the LCD so that it's viewable in direct sunlight. It will always be duller than a backlit LCD which is completely washed out in the sun. There's a backlight too but it only turns on after sunset (automatically anyway).

Mountain Hunter
11-28-2011, 07:52 PM
But as I mentioned all the reviews talk about dull screens that need to be brighter or that they eat batteries, so that is why I was hoping top find a model that recharges while plugged into my atv. I might write Garmin and see what they suggest.

I have seen the Etrex and was never impressed with it found it too limited compared to all other models, unless they have changed them dramatically over the years.

Thanks again.....Mike

I have owned several Garmin units from the first generation of E-trex to the current 76 and 60 models. I am personally not a fan of the built in digital compass, baro, and altimeter on the Csx units. I absolutely love the 60 and 76 Cx versions (newer now 62 and 78 models).

I use them for work in the bush and leave them on all day, 8-10 hrs (for tracking every 10 secs). The battery life will last for at least 2-3 days with NiMH rechargeables doing this. The screens are great during daylight hours, and do have a back light for darkness.

I don't think any GPS units recharge while plugged in to a power source, I may be wrong here? But, when you do plug them in they run from the power source and not from your batteries, so the batteries basically take a break when you have it plugged in (to a car/ATV/snowmobile 12V source).

I would not hesitate to take a Garmin 60Cx or 76Cx for a 7 day backpack trip with a set of fully recharged NiMH batteries (AAs) and only a single set of spares for backup. lithium would probably last even longer (lighter but not rechargeable).

The E-trex Legend Hcx is a nice little unit, I just bought one this summer for backpacking, but I noticed it is not as dependable and accurate as the 60 and 76 versions, not sure why as it is supposed to have the same accuracy (maybe the smaller built-in antenna).

Sum it all up, I would go with an old 60Cx or newer 62 unit with same features. The new built in camera, digital barometer, digital compass, altimeter is not really needed.

bc kid
11-28-2011, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=Pioneerman;1026745]Hi , I am looking at getting a new GPS for the ATV and packing around. I have been using the Lowrance H2Oc for a few years, but it is shutting down on me too often. So what I am thinking about is the Garmin as it can interface with Google earth. I see Gpscity.com sent me a email today showing the Garmin Oregon 450 on for $219 but the reviews say the screen is not bright and eats batteries, anyone use one of these? I would also like one that I can use rechargeable batteries in so it recharges when plugged into the bike. I am open to other models, but want to be able to use it with Google earth.

Thanks...Mike[/QUOTcant go wrong with any of the garmin units. Had one for the last too years with the bc back rds sd card but lost the unit hunting on thursday it came unskrewd on my harness so if you get one dont use the factory harness.

Fosey
11-30-2011, 10:34 AM
I bought a Oregon 450 and would look for something that is a little easier to use in the bush. The 450 has a touch screen which is very sensitve and hard to move around. You have to hit a number or letter in the exact spot the screen wants and this can take some work. Also if you want to go to the cursor it is extremely hard to move the map to the cursor. I am finding it very frustrating. I would go with a Garmin model without the touch screen. I have two models of GPS's in my boat and they are much easier to use without the touch screen.

laredo318
12-02-2011, 04:25 PM
I struggler with a friend's Oregon, so I put out the money for a Garmin Montana 650. Very easy to use, with a larger screen. Way easier to use with older eyes!!
Quite an outlay, but does have the lithium battery that is rechargable. It will aslo take AA batteries. They claim 22 hours from a charge, and I was VERY close to that figure.

Moosetang
12-18-2011, 09:25 AM
I had a Garmin Oregon 450. Sent it back to GPS City after a week. could not see the screen. Bought a Garmin Colorado. Actually have three colorado's. They are very good and you ncan actually see the screen. Now have the Garmin Montana 600. best GPS they have produced so far. large screen easy to read. Good functions and combined with the BC Backroads maps they are fantastic. Never leave home with out it. It get used about 10 to 12 hours a day every weekday.

Moosetang
12-18-2011, 09:29 AM
The Garmin 600 recharges when plugged into the vehicle as long as the unit is turned off. While on it runs on the vehicle power. The three axis compas works great and has a course deviation indicator on it as well.

BCHoyt
12-25-2011, 06:16 AM
My wife and I are both big into Geocaching and I also use the GPS for hunting and fishing... We have a Garmin Oregon 400T and it is by far the best GPS out there.. We have tried several others and have been geocaching with other people with different units and ours always has the best accuracy.. It uses AA's but they seem to last quite awhile, but they are also rechargeable lithium ones... And no matter what kind of unit you get always take extra batteries..

Pioneerman
12-25-2011, 08:11 AM
I have been using GPS units for 14 years or so and just want to upgrade to a nice screen and one that recharges while plugged into my atv power source, and of course I would have it on at that time. I will be checking all the suggestions, thanks and Merry Christmas everyone.

Grizzlydick
12-28-2011, 04:55 PM
I too have been looking into a newer gps. After a long lookie, have come up with 1. a Garmin 62s or Garmin Montana 600.
I was toying with the idea that the unit would be used in the truck 99% of the time. However if I had to come out by foot the Nuvi ones just did not cut the mustard. I thankyou as well for all the good points. Cheers............

Moosetang
12-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Definitely go with the Montana... The Montana can go horizontal and Vertical and also speaks directions for navigating. The screen on the 62S is tiny compared to the Montana. Montana has 3 gigs of internal memory as well. Also you have two different battery types. An onboard lithium battery but also takes 3 double A's.

GPS Central has the Montana on for 400.00 bucks this week. montana 600

http://www.gpscentral.ca/

Grizzlydick
12-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Montana, done deal.................ordered...

bosca
01-08-2012, 11:50 PM
I have the Garmin GPSMap 62 and I love it. I use it with the B.C. Backroads Map Book chip and the detail is great. Lots of accessories available including rechargeable batteries or the car plug in adapter. It interfaces with Garmins Base map program and does more than you will ever need. GPS city has them on sale right now for $279.00

How is the battery life?...What does it use for batteries?

Grizzlydick
01-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Update
I have been out a couple time playing with the unit, awesome. I have the unit sitting in the cup holder and under tree cover it works flawlessly. Very happy. Moosetang, u were spot on.
I installed the bc backroad card and now thinking about the garmin inland lake card.
Any hoot thanks all for the tips.

sburton
03-05-2012, 12:13 PM
have you found any hand helds that still work at -10 or colder

pse&remington
03-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Recommendations for using a Montana GPS in cold weather

• Montana operating temperature range is from -4ºF to 158ºF (-20ºC to 70ºC)
• Prolonged exposure to low temperatures can cause plastic parts to become rigid and prone to damage
• Remove the GPS unit from the mount and keep it in a pocket or warm location in temperatures below -4ºF (-20ºC)
• To improve cold weather screen performance, use a powered mount and keep the Backlight on continuously (select Setup, Display, Backlight Timeout, Stays On)
• The Lithium-ion battery pack will not charge below 32ºF (0ºC). When the GPS is in a powered mount at temperatures below 32ºF, the mount will power the unit but will not charge the Lithium-ion battery. Keep a set of AA size Lithium batteries in a warm location for emergencies or for use when the GPS is not in a powered mount.
• Avoid sudden temperature changes caused by bringing an extremely cold unit into a heated area. Repeated thermal shock can warp and damage the GPS.

Ry151
03-06-2012, 11:11 AM
have you found any hand helds that still work at -10 or colder

Garmins will work below -10. I use Garmin in aircraft and they seem to work fine to about -25, where the screen will slow down if you change direction quickly. i have two units that are used almost daily and handle the temperture changes fine after 5 years. I dont use the touch screens because i dont like taking my gloved off and ive heard of others that have had trouble getting the touch screens to work in the cold.
For hunting/hiking i think the garmin 62s is the best option but i havent tried many other units becauase i like garmin so there might be better options

Singleshotneeded
03-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Get the Garmin 60 csx or new version, the 62. Reliable, nice screen, good battery life, and not bothered
by sub zero temps, such as if you mount them on a quad in cold weather(button controls, not touch screen).
Lithium batteries last a good long while and aren't affected by the cold, I always use them and carry a second
pair just in case. Garmin is the best!

Gunner
03-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Anyone know of any retailers still carrying the Garmin 60 series?Not sure I want to go to the new 62s. Gunner

Singleshotneeded
03-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Amazon.com...