PDA

View Full Version : Moose calling tips?

Jager
09-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Any tips you want to share on calling moose? The right sounds to make? Duration? How about a link to a site that has demos?

Does anybody recommend a 'coffee can call'?

This is all new to me so any advise is appreciated.

ape
09-27-2006, 12:15 AM
The coffee can call works very well. We messed with a bull up in Tumbler for over an hour, just couldn't get him in the open.

Schmaus
09-27-2006, 07:35 AM
I find that the coffee can does work ok, I just cup my hands around my mouth and let er rip. I don't try to call moose out into a cut cause they are usually really weary about coming into the wide open. I try to call on overgrown logging roads that aren't used anymore with tons of sign on them. This year I walked until I found a rut hole and there were lots of trees with the bark ripped off and moose hair all over them, I just sat for about 15 minutes to get everything quiet and then bull called once. It only took about 5 minutes and I had a bull come ripping out of the bush looking for the intruder. If you call the way I do in the bush just don't call too much or else the bull will pinpoint exactly where you are and maybe walk out of the bush right beside you.

moosecaller
09-27-2006, 09:27 AM
David Suzuki did a documentary on the moose it should be availiable at your local library it is a very good show and loads of calling on it. I would think it may be out on loan this time of year but it is really worth a watch! Also if you go to a video store rental or the for sale type you could purchase a video on calling. I find the documentary type video much better for instruction than the ones actually made to teach you calling. Oh yeah a sporting good shop will also have the videos I saw Jim Shockeys video at walmart 20$.The coffee can does work but lacks that certain touch that only a voice can reproduce.

abbyfireguy
09-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Just get a video and practice with cupped hands..anyone can do it with a little practise...I get lots of responses and bulls coming out...
Just be carefull during the rut....A very mad and horny bull can really scare the crap out of anyone with you that is new at the calling game.....Not to mention, leave you looking for somewhere to hide if you decide not to blast him...
I found the past few years that I got several smaller bulls coming out to a cow call....
Using a bull call will get the territorial big bull or his competitor coming out to Fight the interloper off...;-)

trigger
09-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Moose calling can be trickey, but it can also be very easy. Learning when and where to use the right call is important. In the dead of rut i usually try to get far away from any hunting presure ( roads). I would then pick a spot where i have a good line of site for at least a 180Degrees. Then i cup my hands and pinch my nose to give it a nazal sound and say "eeugh" "eeuugh" "eeugh" two or three times, challenging any bulls in the area. I often also pick up a stick and start scraping a tree and braking off branches. Dont do this to much. you dont want to be to intimidating. Later in the rut i won't even bother with bull calls. i just use cow calls, using the same technique only longer "eeeeeeeeeeeeugh" "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuugh" I do a series of 3 every 5 or 10 minutes. sometimes trying to make it sound like a bellowing cow call. If a bull is around it should start calling back. sometimes they will hang up at a tree line. in this case i hope i have a partner so i can start walking away and calling hoping to bring the bull out for buddy to shoot. I have takin alot of good bull moose and always look forward to calling in bulls every year. good luck. hope this helps

Avalanche123
09-29-2006, 05:43 PM
There is an ok article in the BC Outdoors Hunting and Shooting magazine - Hunting Forecast Fall 06 issue.....(pic of bull moose on front)

Article is called "Moose Calling Made Easy".....

But boy those hunting numbers for each region seem way out of wack....

oldtimer
09-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Besides a coffe can a bleach bottle also works well with the boot lace. But lots of practise always better.
Moosecaller ,no matter what I would never use, buy or listen to anything by the hunters big opponent David Suzuki

moosecaller
10-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Even people with opposing opinions can offer good advice or at least some knowledge that can be helpful to a person keeping a closed mind can handicap a person to a big world of knowledge that would otherwise go unheard. You should be more open to other people and what they have to offer, I never said Suzuki was for or against hunting but he did do an excellent documentary on the moose and is really a worth while program to watch, if it helps a fellow hunter to call moose why would you discourage this?

MB_Boy
10-02-2006, 02:17 PM
If anyone is interested fire me a PM if you are interested in a Moose Biology/Calling DVD. My Dad put this together one on his own and has been selling it for the past number of years. He has been on TV featured on a number of shows and as soon as he gets out of the bush from his fly in hunt I'll hit him up for some pricing. It sells like hot cakes through SIR and he sells it just independently on his own. It is called Moose Close Up.

He is in the midst of getting a website up so nothing I can point you towards, but I know a few members on here and HS have mentioned they have seen it and it was well worth it.