PDA

View Full Version : your opinions on the Yamaha vk 540, please.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Yamaha vk 540 (http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?section=ov&model=3465)

looks boring, but i don't care, if it gets me from a>b reliably.

your opinions please.

thank you :-D

Eastbranch
11-25-2011, 09:22 AM
My bud has an older model (late 90s), good machine but had some compression issues. I wouldn't pay the price on the website tho! For that price you could get 2 bravos and if you're not picky about being able to highmark, the bravo will do it all and last for 30yrs.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-25-2011, 09:35 AM
My bud has an older model (late 90s), good machine but had some compression issues. I wouldn't pay the price on the website tho! For that price you could get 2 bravos and if you're not picky about being able to highmark, the bravo will do it all and last for 30yrs.

food for thought, thanks

welcome to the forum!

SHAKER
11-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Just want a sled for a-b then get an older tundra.... Them little yellow buggers are still used by cat hunters everywhere.

boxhitch
11-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Depends on your application
You proably will welcome the power over a Tundra or Bravo.
The hi-lo-rev trans is a lot of parts to go wrong , but handy for snaking through the trees.
Are you actually hauling a load or just a boggan for fuel ?
Great utility sled, which means heavy too.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-25-2011, 04:10 PM
thanks for the replies. :)

my application is utility [firewood, hunting] with some short touring with wife and winter camping.

boxhitch
11-25-2011, 04:55 PM
That should be a good unit for you then.
Not for hunting use in 4 or 8, but you know that.
In temps approaching 0 , you may want to add an additional fan in the hood for more air flow at slow travel speeds, especially under load.

ibehuntin
11-25-2011, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=boxhitch;1026587]That should be a good unit for you then.

You can use a sled to hunt in region 4 from Dec 1 to Mar 31.

wrenchhead
11-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Those where pretty good units, we ran a few at the skihill. Won't snap your head back with power but they float in the snow pretty good and haul loads well with the high low gearbox. Make sure the belt is the correct tension and that the sled is completely stoped when shifting and the gearboxes last.

wrenchhead
11-25-2011, 05:10 PM
And I would consider a used one for 2500 or 3000 over a 10000 brand new one. Most repairs can be done at a reasonable cost on those units.

buckhunter
11-25-2011, 05:57 PM
my brother in law had a vk 540 for years and he loved it. i found it a little to heavy. i had a long track bravo which treated me very well. always started great in -30,cheap on gas,light,lots of power,etc. and only a fraction of the cost of a vk 540. the downside is that the bravo is low and a little uncomfortable for two passangers, but,do-able.

Jagermeister
11-25-2011, 06:22 PM
If you live in the central interior north of where you live, that will be a fine machine to get out and go ice-fishing etc. the 20" track will give good flotation until you start side-hilling. Then things will get interesting. It takes quite a bit to keep them on a straight traverse line across even a modest slope. You would be better off with a 16" track. Other than that, it's good to go. Good machine for skihills and dragging a x-country ski trail-setter.

SHAKER
11-26-2011, 04:36 PM
That should be a good unit for you then.
In temps approaching 0 , you may want to add an additional fan in the hood for more air flow at slow travel speeds, especially under load.

Why not in Region 8?

REMINGTON JIM
11-26-2011, 06:06 PM
The biggest problem of a vk540 yamy is its weight ! It so friggin heavy they won't even list the weight under the specs ! DO NOT GET IT STUCK unless you have help or it will be there till spring !

SimilkameenSlayer
11-26-2011, 06:28 PM
The biggest problem of a vk540 yamy is its weight ! It so friggin heavy they won't even list the weight under the specs ! DO NOT GET IT STUCK unless you have help or it will be there till spring !

good point .... i would probably take some kind of winch, for emergency's only.

REMINGTON JIM
11-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Yea - even a small cable hand winch like whats on a boat trailer works well -rig it up before so you can use it front or rear - because you are not going to lift that sled- i rode with a guy who had one and we all had sore backs from that TANK !

SimilkameenSlayer
11-29-2011, 04:57 PM
thanks very much for the feedback!

i keep coming back to this viking and liking it's simple looks more and more.

:-D