PDA

View Full Version : What's a good rifle for hunting all ungulates??

mysta02
11-24-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm just starting out hunting and haven't yet purchased a rifle. I only want to buy a single gun right now, but will likely hunt a number of ungulates with it over the next few years. What is a good single caliber for hunting deer, elk, moose, caribou, etc? What is the real-world application for different calibers (ie: why do some people like .338 and others 30-06, etc)?

Any information is greatly appreciated
Thank you so much
Cody

11-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Have a look at this
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?75010-Why-a-magnum

It kinda helps understand it a bit,,, sort of.
.380win .270 30-06 will do all you need and not hurt your shoulder or pocket.
.270Win Rules!

Magnums dont kill deer,,,, bullets do.

elkeater
11-24-2011, 09:30 PM
i have a 30 06 and like it alot. at the range i shoot at in the woods it will kill anything. just get shooting your gun and know it well.

mysta02
11-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks. The thread was somewhat helpful, but still everyone has their own personal preference. What makes someone have a preference for one caliber over another? Why do you like the .270Win so much? I've shot quite a bit in the past, but not enough to know the difference between the calibers of rifle. I know I want bolt-action, though.

I'll likely be doing some range shooting, as well, so effective range is important, as is (obviously) accuracy.

blomgren
11-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Get yourself a 270 , very little recoil , flat shooting, and it will kill everything from small game to big game . Deer, Moose and Elk

sakohunter
11-24-2011, 10:18 PM
A bolt action rifle is a good place to start. The caliber selection is the difficult one. A .308 caliber bullet is a happy compromise in BC it gives you a huge selection of bullet weights and and action length options and if you don't reload a great selection factory bullets to choose from. The time tested 30-06 springfield is a great first caliber to start with it is considered a long action rifle. I am biased as it was my first hunting caliber. What ever you narrow your selection down to do your research, read reloading manuals (look at muzzle velocities and bullet energy at various distances, bullet drop) if you have access to them. Talk to people at the shooting range they may let you shoot thier rifle so you know more about a specific caliber. It is your hunting rifle start out right and you may hand it down in your family, start out wrong and you will be look for the right one again. Good Luck

ROM
11-24-2011, 10:21 PM
3 choices. 3006, 308 or 270. if you go with 308 you might want to use premium 165 gr so you don't have to switch from deer to moose or elk. if you go with 270 then you might to use premium 130's or 140's for the same reason.

have fun.

R

Beard
11-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Hey I am actually in the same situation and have decided to go with the 30-06. Just after all the research and the available ammo that is what I have come up with. Currently looking at the winchester model 70, savage model 114 American classic and a browning a-bolt

nap
11-25-2011, 03:06 AM
A best caliber for them all will be a personal preference in most cases. Get as much info, ballistics etc on the most common calibers, 270,308,30-06 and maybe the 300 win. Look at them all and decide, then look at rifles themselves in a price range that fits your budget. Last thing to remember, no matter what you decide on, bullet placement is the most important thing, if you hammer a bull moose at 100 yard in the boiler room with 30-06 he is not going far, If you miss that spot at 75 yards with a 300 win mag you may loose him. Last thing I can add is welcome to the site, and have fun wth whatever you decide.

5 spike
11-25-2011, 05:55 AM
30/06 pretty much good for anything bear,deer,moose,elk exc.

Tanya
11-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Yup, 30.06 . I read a paper done in Alaska a number of years ago. It was all about " If you could only own one rifle in Alaska for hunting what would the best all round caliber be?" The result was 30.06, as ammo is available most everywhere and in everything from smaller loads for blacktails up to 180g for bigger game. As always shot placement on anything is important.

ncurrie
11-25-2011, 07:23 AM
I bought a 30.06 last year and love it. I am not a bug person and was a little scared of it at first, but now that I have shot it a couple of times I love it.

sparkes3
11-25-2011, 07:41 AM
you hit a moose in the boiler room at 300 yards with a 30-06 ,its going down with a 270 as well

stoneguide
11-25-2011, 07:46 AM
My favorite all around cartridge is the .280Rem. It does the same as the .270 and 30-06 but hey everyone has a .270win or a 30-06! Everyone will argue the best cartridge but you can only kill an animal so dead and these all will do the trick.
SG

BCBRAD
11-25-2011, 08:12 AM
The 30-06 was my last rifle purchase for hunting. I went through several magnums, standards, levers etc over a long time,
If you are not a handloader the 30-06 gets the nod, choices on bullet weight and style are plenty, not so much with the 270 and less so with the 280. If you handload the 30-06 is away more flex-able on the light (bullet weight) end and on the heavy end as well, the other two are not. most people find the recoil gentle with this round, that and non-magnum muzzle blast will enable you to make better shots easier, this leads to better bullet placement which is key to a quick humane kill. Like other say it is available near everywhere
For a lot of people the 30-06 in a quality rifle should be the first rifle as well as the last. Lots of choices in between if your into the whole rifle, handloading shooting stuff as well as for hunting.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-25-2011, 09:12 AM
30-06 180g, for everything.

simple and effective. there are advantages to shooting this combo, it enables you to dial in your skill level and get real familiar with where your bullet is going to land.

.002 cents

Mykos
11-25-2011, 09:20 AM
I like .308. It's very available and isn't excessive in recoil or noise, and as someone mentioned above it's very versatile with the selection of bullets available for it.

11-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Why do you like the .270Win so much? .

Well, partially because every one i grew up hunting with had one. But there was a reason for that. It is a very flat shooting Cartridge with ample "Power" to take all but the nastiest animals down. You can buy ammo for it anywhere and for cheap. The Cartridge has a great history to it as well. And you can shoot it all day at the range without beating your self up.

The thing is you dont need a magnum. Any of the "Medium" Cartridges will do what you need. It is just that in some cases with experiance a Mag does it better. The trouble with the internet is when you ask a question like you did there are thousands of opinions, to make it worse most of them are right. You just need to find a Rifle that YOU like and that fits YOU and YOUR budget.

Just dont buy the 30-06 because some guy says there are a million different bullet weights to shoot, I hate that reason. How many different bullets do you need! You will find that you shoot one or two of them. :)

Tikka270
11-25-2011, 09:34 AM
IMO a good recoil pad makes all the difference in the world.

My first rifle was a Remington 710 in .300 wm.(horrible rifle) I moved up to a tikka in .270win. Then to a savage 116 in .300wsm which has a decent factory stock recoil pad and a muzzle brake. The felt recoil from my .300wsm is quite a bit less than my .270 (which pretty much has a hockey puck for a recoil pad).

So whatever your choice may be add on a aftermarket limbsaver or decelerator pad and recoil won't be much of an issue.

CanuckShooter
11-25-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm just starting out hunting and haven't yet purchased a rifle. I only want to buy a single gun right now, but will likely hunt a number of ungulates with it over the next few years. What is a good single caliber for hunting deer, elk, moose, caribou, etc? What is the real-world application for different calibers (ie: why do some people like .338 and others 30-06, etc)?

Thank you so much
Cody

I started with a 30-06 because that's what my dad bought me, and hunted with it for years and years. I sold my last 30-06 and bought a 338, only because I kept having close calls with grizzly bears and wanted something with a little more thump [225gr bullets], I switch to 243 for deer. Most of the calibers the guys recommend are good for NA ungulates, I think you should pay lots of attention to how much a particular brand of rifle weighs, how it fits you, and how much it kicks. IN my experience a Browning micro-medallion 308 will boot the hell out of you, while a Ruger 338 will give you a good push, each rifle is a little different for different people and you should try firing one before buying if you get an opportunity.

The caliber selection is more what-ever-turns-your-crank.

FirePower
11-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Have a look at this

.270Win Rules!

Agreed lad, 270 is the cats meow for sure.

elksmasher
11-25-2011, 09:47 AM
The best rifle is the one that fits you.You will figure out the rest eventually,after many rounds of practice.There are some really good starting rifles,Marlin X,Savage,TC, and they are really reasonably priced some even come with scopes.Your first rifle should feel just right.Pull length,do the sights or scope fall naturally to your eye when you shoulder it,does the saftey and magazine make sense to you,does it carry on your shoulder comfortably.Does it shoot well right out of the box.Trigger pull ,crispness this is what is going to really affect your accuracy, is it pillar bedded or some other proprietary method of beeding(accustock)Nothing more depressing
than dropping $1500.00 and finding out you can't get your rifle to group at 100yds.It should be affordable,you don't want to be gun poor(can't afford the ammo to shoot it,Lots).Cartridge selection is trickey and a favorite subject around here,and everybody is right, all these cartridges are great choices for a first rifle.Find out what your friends shoot,buy some ammo and shoot their rifles at all distances,from a bench,standing,sitting on the ground,over your back pack,shoot some balloons,bang the gongs,etc.Educate yourself as to what you like and don't like,Then buy the rifle that fits you best with the best optics you can afford.Welcome to the fraternity.

Mr. Dean
11-25-2011, 10:16 AM

Thank you so much
Cody

My 1st gun was a 'Do All' purchase too and it ended up being a 300WM.
Not because I thought I needed it, but because it was a SCREAMER of a deal.

That was ~20 years ago and I still have it - The purchase was sound.

mrhappygolucky
11-25-2011, 10:48 AM
my personal choice is a 30-06 cheap ammo, kills almost everything, and recoil is not to bad. the 30-06 allows for a lot of versatility drop down to a 150gr for smaller things or bump it up to a 220gr for the big boys. not a lot of calibers allow this range of bullet grains. but in the end it comes down to personal preference! go out and try shooting them and see what you like.

Downwind
11-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Asking which calibre to buy is like asking what kind of beer to buy. Everyone has an opinion and all are probably right! What it comes down to is 'does the rifle fit you well?' (nothing to do with calibre obviously) and 'how much are you okay with spending for bullets?' As said previously, bullet selection for calibres like the 270, 308 and 30-06 are everywhere but the bigger thing is they are quite inexpensive compared to a lot of the other calibres out there. You can get a 45-70 and that is a great calibre that will take down an ungulate and doesn't kick like anything but the bullets are going to run you quite a bit more then the others. Start with one and then go from there.

Vital Shock
11-25-2011, 11:23 AM
30/06 is a great, proven, classic round choice!

ROEBUCK
11-25-2011, 11:45 AM
.375 hh no more recoil than a .300wm
minimal meat damage on deer(both my whiteys this year had small finger size exit holes)
and feels gooooood when you squeeze the trigger!
cant wait to kill a moose or elk with it next season

Mr. Dean
11-25-2011, 11:59 AM

That right there imo should be the thought of a purchase - BUY WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD and WANT.
This way, it isn't likely a 'mistake'.

If you buy on the premise of 20 people telling you that a ________ (insert calibre), and you do that, only to find yourself STILL wanting a _________ (again, insert calibre), the 1st purchase was a waste of funding for something else.

As for cartridges/chamberings, there isn't much out there that WON'T kill an ungulate - What's your heart leaning towards?

vortex hunter
11-25-2011, 12:09 PM
338 win mag

Weatherby Fan
11-25-2011, 12:11 PM
.375 hh no more recoil than a .300wm
minimal meat damage on deer(both my whiteys this year had small finger size exit holes)
cant wait to kill a moose or elk with it next season

Roebuck you recomended a 375H&H..................oh right it doesn't have Magnum attached to it's name it's ok :mrgreen:

280 77
11-25-2011, 12:22 PM
270 , 280 , 7-08 will take any N.A. ungulates , are easy to shoot with minimal recoil . Ammo will be cheaper & easier to find for the 270 if you don't handload . I've had great success with the Ruger Hawkeye's which will cost you considerably less than say a Browning or most of the others , and you gotta love the mauser style action. Get stainless , you'll have less worries .

Foxton Gundogs
11-25-2011, 02:00 PM
I agree with 835, 280 77 and others. 270 does it all, bullets everywhere and inexpensive. Most brands and models come chambered for it. 1 reason I like it better than the ot6 or 08 is that you can go "down" a long way in shelf lead or up to 170gr and if you ever get the "thumper" bug you can pick up a 338WM and have every base covered.

11-25-2011, 11:00 PM
270's, 280, 308's, 30/06, 7mm, lots to choose from But I would stick to 30cals. for the loading range capability.
Rugers, Winchesters, Remingtons amongst the most reliable, to many to choose from for average pricing, the sky can be the limit!

Killed Tons of stuff with my .308, it's about placement.

CT

Bow Walker
11-26-2011, 11:37 AM
I bought a new rifle a couple of years ago. Went through the same thing that you're going through now. Did a lot of research and reading before settling on a caliber.

I had owned - and liked - two 30.06's prior to buying my new gun. I wanted something that would take down (provided I did my part right) anything that I felt that I was likely to go after on the North American continent...deer, elk, moose...but I also wanted something that shot a bit faster and had a longer range than my other two 30.06's.

I chose the .270 caliber. It does way more than I am capable of doing. It was (and is) the right choice for me and my hunting style.

Ry151
11-26-2011, 12:51 PM
for your first rifle a 30-06 is a pretty good choice. I use a 300 win mag and love it!! it has long range and great stopping power with out hurting your shoulder or the bank. I went with the 300 win vs the 300 wsm because the win mag can shoot higher grain bullets if i decide to.

pescado
11-26-2011, 04:02 PM
I'd hurry and buy the 338-06 I saw for sale on this site this a.m. With the $$$ you save on this rifle you could purchase a RCBS Rockchucker reloading kit and you'd be very well set up for hunting all ungulates.

Black Bird
12-04-2011, 10:22 PM
All ungulates? I would suggest that it is 95% about shot placement (if not higher). 30-30, .303 and .308 have probably taken more animals in Canada then all other rounds combined. Are they the 'best' for all ungulates? Arguably not, but the shooters have put the rounds where they wanted them to land over the last near 100 years. (http://www.chuckhawks.com/placement_kay.htm)

My only advice would be to go and try out as many calibres as possible before buying a rifle (if you are really looking for only one to do the job). Find a rifle that fits you and a calibre that you don't mind shooting and you will be good. My first calibre was a 7mm Rem Mag (4 years ago). I bought it based on my CORE manual saying that it was good for all possible ungulates (that table on page 164). I shot 3 deer with it and have since moved on to a 6.5x55SE which I love shooting (2 deer this year and over 130 rounds practiced before the season opened). I have had the chance to shoot 30-30, 30-06, .303 and .308 and loved firing them all. I have yet to fire a .270 but I am sure that I will like that as well. I know that my 6.5x55SE round will be good for all the animals that I am going after (black-tailed, mule deer and white-tailed) at the ranges that I am comfortable shooting out to (about 150m from sitting). I can shoot the rifle all day long and never get a finch going (let alone a bit of a sore shoulder that my 7mm Rem Mag used to give me). If I was going out on a hunt for a moose I would seriously consider bringing out my 7mm Rem Mag, but then again, maybe not. My 6.5x55SE has been used for over 100 years hunting moose in Scandinavia. Also, and perhaps most importantly for the sake of the animal, I am very accurate and confident with my 6.5x55SE.

Good luck out there and I hope that you find a rifle that fits you well. I am sure that weather it is .270, 30-06, 7mm-08 or whatever, so long as you are comfortable with it good things will happen.

Just my two bits,

BB

emerson
12-04-2011, 11:00 PM
I use an 30-06 and a 308.

mysta02
12-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks so much for your advice. I will certainly try out some different guns. I have a friend with a number of different rifles, so I'm sure he'll let me practice.

vip_ruger
12-04-2011, 11:07 PM
7mm will kill anything in BC and once you get good it will give u the range for longer shots and still have some knock down power i own a 270 3006 and 308 but never use any of them since i got my 7mm

mikeboehm
12-04-2011, 11:26 PM
I use .338 win mag on moose, 7mm rem mag on elk,mulies and whities and i use 7-08 on blacktails. I have a nice .270 but i never use it. I would use a 7mm mag or 300 win mag for an all around gun. Yes you dont need a magnum but i prefer the extra speed and knockdown power, in case theres a charging grizzly and my first shot not the greatest.

Singleshotneeded
12-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Hey Cody, You'll find .308, .270, and 30.06 ammo everywhere, and they're very versatile and have reasonable recoil.
I have a .270 firing 140 grain Nosler Accubonds for deer, a very flat shooting rifle and that ammo will expand nicely even
at long ranges and do a great job on deer. The Nosler Partition 150 grain would be what I'd use as an all-rounder if this
was my only rifle, it's a tougher bullet that has worked well on deer but will also do the job on elk and moose.
My 30.06 is my moose and elk rifle, firing 168 grain Barnes Vor-tx 168 grain TTSX ammo, and that ammo will take care
of anything you shoot at. I'd probably go with that ammo for deer as well if I didn't have the .270. So, if you're a deer
hunter that'll go for moose and elk a few times, I'd go with the .270...and if you're hunting deer and moose/elk equally, then
I'd go with the 30.06.

BCBRAD
12-05-2011, 06:37 AM
As you may have noticed the 270 is popular on the island and lower drainland. If hunting the north the 338win is the best all round rifle for big ungulates where there may be a g-bear to contend with as well. It is 25% more than a 30-06 by any measurable means.
Most hunters own a light and a heavy cartridge for northern hunting. This would be 264 to 308 caliber on a 308 or 30-06 case and a medium caliber on a 2.5" magnum case, then again some do it all with a 300 mag of some sort.

mysta02
12-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks, all. Very helpful comments. I'll let everyone know what I buy, but it won't be until next year sometime.

grizzlydueck
12-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Soo many choices so many opinions but ? Where do you live ? on the island with dog deer and black bears or in the kootenays with elk-moose-grizz ? do you have any ambition of shooting long range 300yards to 500yards or just 100yards ish ? do you think that you will be buying a handloading set up ? do you have all the time and money= too load -learn to shoot -learn to hunt or just K.I.S.S keep it simple stupid =by a quality -reliable -newly computer designed rifle for recoil reduction and more accurate[ better triger/barrels= a 7mm from 15 years ago with the same ammo -same weight compared to a newly designed stock and recoil pad will shoot totaly different. and bullet technology has changed soo much from just 15 years ago where a 270 shooting 140 gr average bullets too the newly designed bullets are not even in the same league ! for example say you look at a tikka in a 270 [WSM] with a QUALITY factory bullet[ accubond interbond barnes]- a good scope-it's guaranteed to shoot tight groups right out of the box - it will shoot as flat as a magnum in the 300yrd mark -fun too shoot all day and you can go into any walmart or crappytire and find the ammo ! Moose elk deer are all going to go down with good shot placement = a comfortable recoiling -flat shooting caliber-with a quality bullet that will hold together and get the job done =even if the shot turns out ,was not so good ! BUY ONE BOX OF AMMO THAT MAY COST MORE= BUT IS OF A QUALITY DESIGN spend the money once ! that a box will last most guys a few years of hunting! most people don't have alot of time to get out hunting each year so they risk everything in the planning and the expence but buy junk alright bullets ! a 308- 7mm-08- 270win or 270 wsm-300wsm-30-06- 7mm all will do the job if you are willing to invest your TIME and money once ! What you put into your set up is what you will get out of it ! shoot one rifle one load and learn to master it ! from the bench from shooting sticks -shooting rocks on the hillside to targets-just play and enjoy ! don't forget THE KISS PRINCIPAL ! good luck and happy hunting !

mysta02
12-05-2011, 12:18 PM
I live on the mainland and could be hunting anywhere in BC. I'd like the option of taking long-range shots. I've practiced before and I'm a good shot and I would hate to miss out on an opportunity to take down my quarry because my gun can't shoot as far or as accurately as I can. I'll very likely be purchasing boxed ammo and not reloading my own. Minimal recoil would be nice, just to be able to keep sights on target for a second shot if necessary. Any North American big game could be my target in the next few years and bears are usually where the game is, so it has to have some decent kick to take a grizzly in a worst-case scenario (I won't be hunting grizzly, but they might be hunting me).

Phreddy
12-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Every gun cabinet should have a 30:06. It's got a huge range of ammunition that will work on everything from QCIsland deer to Grizzley bear. Every country mom & pop store carries ammunition for it.

Singleshotneeded
12-05-2011, 08:25 PM
In that case, I'd definitely go for a 30.06, .300 WM, or .300 WSM, if you're hunting up north.

nap
12-05-2011, 09:50 PM
My bet is mysta buys a ????? a 30.06, remington pump with a 3x9 leopold, just my guess.

Weatherby Fan
12-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Have a look at this

.270Win Rules!

I disagree magnums kill deer just fine ! Mysta02 don't believe a word 835 says-if his lips are moving he's lying :mrgreen:

mysta02
12-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Lol. Thanks. From what I understand, Magnum isn't a better version of the same caliber, but rather a clever marketing scheme that takes advantage of the myth that it is better.

Anyway, I may or may not get magnum and it won't be determined by one person's post:) I'm not swayed that easily.

@nap. Wrong already. No pump for me; I'm a (lever-action) bolt-action guy:) We'll see about the rest of it, though.

Singleshotneeded
12-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Nap, haven't you been paying attention thus far? Mysta is a John Wayne lever kinda guy, he's going to buy
a beautiful Browning BLR in 30.06...:-)

mysta02
12-07-2011, 09:12 PM
I was tired when I wrote that last one and I'm not sure why I wrote lever.... I prefer bolt-action; that's my style.

I could always buy a rifle that shoots .950's. Lol. Then, I can take down deer, elk, moose, grizzly, T-Rex, etc, etc, with only one shot. Haha. So awesome!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.950_JDJ

Bc Deer Hunter
12-07-2011, 09:25 PM
270, 308 or 30 06. Depends on how much you will be hunting a certain quarry . Like if your mostly hunting deer then a .270 or .308 would be ideal to take deer aswell moose and elk. But if you will be hunting mostly elk and moose ect a 30 06 would get the job done easy. I'd say a 30 06 ruins to much meat on a 100 pound deer :/ (I us a .243 myself and am planning on taking moose and elk next season! Anything will get the job done if you hit it in the boiler room :) ) Just my thoughts and happy hunting!

Jagermeister
12-07-2011, 10:03 PM
I was in a local shop today that sells some hunting & fishing supplies. Under glass at the counter, there are a few pictures of people showing their catch of the day, some fish, some deer. One of the pictures is of a young fellow, about 12 years showing of a nice whitetail buck.
Anyhow, I moved further into the store and was looking at some knives when a voice from slightly to the side and behind me asked if I hunted and fished. Turning, I was confronted by the lad whose picture I had just viewed. Said I did and with that he hauled out his smart phone to proudly show me the picture of his deer. I asked him where he got it and the the smart answer was, "Between the ribs." "Ha ha" I laughed and with that he told me where he got it. I asked him what he shot it with and he told me a Weatherby Vangaurd in 7Rem Mag with a Leopold scope, his very own. I asked him if it kicked and he said no worse than a 25-06. I then asked if he the length of pull altered for him and he had not.
So, what's the point you ask. Well, the person who started this thread wanted to know which rifle would be good. I have to think that given the above story, the o/p could not go wrong with a 7 Rem Mag and in the Weatherby Vanguard as not a bad choice.

mysta02
12-08-2011, 12:30 AM
Thank you for the story:) A friend of the family said that he's been hunting with a 7mm for the last 20+ years. So, a 7mm sounds like a good choice, as well. It seems everyone has their own opinions about which gun is best and it comes down more to preference or tradition than to actual statistics.

Weatherby Fan
12-08-2011, 01:36 AM
I was in a local shop today that sells some hunting & fishing supplies. Under glass at the counter, there are a few pictures of people showing their catch of the day, some fish, some deer. One of the pictures is of a young fellow, about 12 years showing of a nice whitetail buck.
Anyhow, I moved further into the store and was looking at some knives when a voice from slightly to the side and behind me asked if I hunted and fished. Turning, I was confronted by the lad whose picture I had just viewed. Said I
did and with that he hauled out his smart phone to proudly show me the picture of his deer. I asked him where he got it and the the smart answer was, "Between the ribs." "Ha ha" I laughed and with that he told me where he got it. I asked him what he shot it with and he told me a Weatherby Vangaurd in 7Rem Mag with a Leopold scope, his very own. I asked him if it kicked and he said no worse than a 25-06. I then asked if he the length of pull altered for him
and he had not.
So, what's the point you ask. Well, the person who started this thread wanted to know which rifle would be good. I have to think that given the above story, the o/p could not go wrong with a 7 Rem Mag and in the Weatherby Vanguard as not a bad choice.

Jagermeister,it's only a matter of time as your about to have your head torn off for recommending a "MAGNUM" to a new hunter,just what the hell were you thinking man :mrgreen:

I couldn't agree more would make a perfect all round caliber for any BC game,

If th OP looks at the Weatherby Vanguard line,check out the new series 2,guaranteed MOA,adjustable trigger and a very good price.

nap
12-08-2011, 01:40 AM
Lol. Thanks. From what I understand, Magnum isn't a better version of the same caliber, but rather a clever marketing scheme that takes advantage of the myth that it is better.

Anyway, I may or may not get magnum and it won't be determined by one person's post:) I'm not swayed that easily.

@nap. Wrong already. No pump for me; I'm a (lever-action) bolt-action guy:) We'll see about the rest of it, though.
:-D well never said I would be right on my guess, just threw that pump in to add a bit of spice, most I guess would not buy a pump, what ever you decide caliber type of rifle, have a great time with it and most important be careful.:-D

The Dude
12-08-2011, 04:18 AM
I use a 30-06 for everything from Giant Hummingbirds to Elk and Moose, but there's nothing wrong with a .270.
In fact, for someone starting out, I think I'd lean to the .270 slightly.

mysta02
12-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Ahh, the elusive Giant Hummingbird. Many stories have I heard in the local tavern of this rare creature, though everyone knows someone who knows someone who once thought they heard a Giant Hummingbird in the tree, but couldn't guarantee it wasn't a common hummingbird......

You've actually SEEN one??

Also, I've been hearing .270 from many people, including the local gun shop, though he also suggested a 30-06.

lovemywinchester
12-08-2011, 09:45 AM
280 REM, also known as the 7mm express. Faster than the 270 with the same bullet and flatter shooting, more accurate with more punch at distance than the 30-06. Plus its cool. Case closed.

280 Remington vs. 270 Winchester

The .280 Remington is capable of generating slightly higher velocities with a given bullet weight than the .270 Winchester, and also able to use heavier bullets due to the larger .284" diameter. .284" bullets also have higher ballistic coefficients at the top of the weight spectrum than .277" bullets. The greater energy and higher ballistic coefficient of heavier .284" bullets give the .280 Remington a slight ballistic advantage over the .270 Winchester.[3][4]
[edit]280 and .30-06

The .280 Remington is capable of developing energy nearly equal to the .30-06 Springfield, but with lighter bullets having a better ballistic coefficient. Thus, the .280 has a better trajectory and retains more energy downrange. The .30-06 produces more energy than the .280 with bullets heavier than 180 grains, though .284" 175 grain bullets have a high sectional density of .310, compared to the 30-06 180 grain bullet with a moderate sectional density of .271. The .280 is suitable for hunting any game in North America with good shot placement.
SAAMI pressure limit for the .280 Remington is set at 60,000 PSI, 50,000 CUP.[1]
Most American rifle and ammunition manufacturers catalogue the .280 Remington.

rifleman
12-08-2011, 09:52 AM
check out this site for the m77 hawkeye for sale 280 rem. with scope $800.00 seams like a good deal. if I had the cash the would be mine.....

Weatherby Fan
12-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Lovemywinchester,

can't disagree with you that the 280 isn't a great caliber and the one you have for sale would fit the bill perfectly for the OP at a good price to boot !

But I'm not sure what would make it more accurate then the 30-06 ,just curious can you explain ?

lovemywinchester
12-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Lovemywinchester,

can't disagree with you that the 280 isn't a great caliber and the one you have for sale would fit the bill perfectly for the OP at a good price to boot !

But I'm not sure what would make it more accurate then the 30-06 ,just curious can you explain ?

Just the fact that it is a flatter shooting round. Less drop over a long distance should allow for less guess work in shooting an animal. If you are shooting a moose at 400 yds the bullet will drop more and have less energy at impact from a 30-06. Here is an example:
For a 150 grain bullet (federal)
280 at 300yds drops 12.2 inches - 30-06 with same bullet drops 13.6 inches.

280 at 300 yds has 1690 ft pounds of energy and at 500yds it still has 1173 ft pounds of energy
30-06 at 300 yds has 1442 ft pounds. At 500 yds it has only 873 ft pounds of energy.

Now I am certainly no expert on ballistics but you can't argue with the math. If I am taking a shot at a moose at 500 yds my 280 with a 150 gr bullet will hit it harder and I will not have to compensate for as much drop by aiming way over its back. That will make for a more accurate shot. This is for guys like me that don't hand load and don't have expensive scopes that do the figuring for ya.

Elkaddict
12-08-2011, 03:43 PM
I will throw my hat into the 30-06 ring. If it is your first rifle, and will be your only rifle for some time, and if you don't handload, the 06 will give you a huge selection of bullets and loads to choose from. There is everything from 125 gr. reduced recoil loads all the way up to full 220 gr. load. You can find 06 ammuntion anywhere. It is relatively inexpensive compared to some of the more exotic or magnum chamberings, allowing you to practice a lot without breaking the bank. The 30-06 is also chambered by every rifle manufacturer out there and no doubt you will be able to find one in whatever configuration you end up wanting to buy, new or used. It's not fancy or flashy, but it will get the job done on any ungulate you would ever encounter. Just my 2 cents.

mysta02
12-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks, all. Elkaddict, I thank you for your message; a wide range of guns and ammo, as well as availability is very important to me.

SimilkameenSlayer
12-08-2011, 08:54 PM
you can purchase 30-06 rounds at floormart. :-D

eaglesnester
12-09-2011, 04:25 PM
All of the above posts are right on as to which rifle is good for the purposes that you describe. Just pick one they will all work. It all depends on what you like, a 30/06 will do just fine for elk and moose, at reasonable ranges, (inside 600 meters or so). A 30/30 will work for deer at closer ranges 100-200 meters or in dense cover where the shooting is fast and close. I myself like the 375H&H as it is the one rifle that will do everything except varmint hunting. Look at a 06 with a 24 inch barrel if you can find one and you will do fine with that as your first rifle. A 22 inch barrel will give you 2700FPS at the muzzle with a 168grain bullet which is Max effective range to 600 yards which is farther than you should be shooting anyway. A 24 inch barrel will give you slightly over 2800FPS at the muzzle depending on powder with a 168gr bullet. 100FPS does not sound like much but it is a lot when talking MV. and it will send the bullet even further out by 75 yards or so to increase you max effective range. Smaller caliber such as the 270 will also do the job. Just about everybody that has more than one big game rifle also has a 7em em in the old gun safe,
which will do everything the aught6 will do. I was talking to my eye doctor yesterday when I had an exam and he is a shooter. He has a 270 Tika that is light and accurate like stink. It shoots 3 inch groups at 500 meters out the box. you cant do better than that.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Singleshotneeded
12-11-2011, 01:58 AM
.22 rimfire, .270, 30.06, and .300WM, you'll find these in any village general store that has ammo, and in
well equipped shops you'll find the best variety of ammo in these calibres.

91Jason91
12-15-2011, 12:33 AM
7mm good for all sizes
270wsm is a really nice gun but kinda small for a big moose
300 RUM nicest gun ever some people say this is a bit big for smaller deer and such but it doesnt matter cause if you double loung the animal your not gonna ruin meat with the shot anyways its only bad it you gut shot or start hitting quarders but awsome for taking the long shots and only ever have to use 1 bullet