PDA

View Full Version : Three moose down- long read

dime
11-24-2011, 06:20 PM
We had a very successful season for moose this year, 3 moose between three guys so I thought I would share the story. First off, we were lucky enough to get 2 LEH draws, first ones in 5 years of trying.
We headed up north in September for the opening day, hopeful that we can at least come home with one moose despite the fact that the rut was still a month away.
We get up to our area very late on Sept 8, set up our wall tents and hit the hay. The next morning we proceed to set up camp, cut firewood, hang tarps for the kitchen area and generally get prepared.
Sept 10 we are up an hour before dawn and ready to go. I head out to a spot where I have seen moose in years past and park my rig at the bottom of the Spur. As I hike in it is starting to get light and as I approach the slash I start to walk slowly and quietly in anticipation of the action to come. As it turns out I was not quiet enough as the moment I come around the last corner I hear a loud snort as the cow standing in the clearing senses me and warns the other animals in the area. I freeze, but it is too late, I am busted. Through my binoculars I can see two moose moving slowly towards the swamp at the bottom of the slash, and as I observe them I can see that the second one is a bull. I estimate the yardage to be over 400, too far for my weekend warrior shooting skills, bi-pod or not. I try to creep closer but to no avail, they are gone in a few minutes. As I hunt the area below hoping to catch a glimpse of the moose but never saw them again.
I continue to hunt out into the series of clear cuts and spot a couple of other moose across the clearing. The are a long ways away, too far to identify so I move into the timber so I can get closer without spooking them. When I get a little closer, I throw up my binoculars but am dissapointed to see they are both cows. Oh well, exciting start to the trip regardless.
It is getting close to lunchtime so I figure I will head back towards where my partners are hunting and start to hear a bunch of chatter on the radio. When I get closer I can hear them talking about an animal down, Wooo Hoooo! As it turns out my buddy (the one without an LEH draw) was walking down an FSR and came around the corner to see a spike fork in a small swamp, took one shot and we had our first moose- and still had two LEH draws! Sweet!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/moose_2011-4.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Moose_2011-3.jpg

We hunted for the rest of the week but did not connect with any more bulls so the next trip was planned for the first week in October.

to be continued........

dime
11-24-2011, 06:49 PM
The second trip starts similar to the first, drive all day and get there in the dark, set up our tents and crash. Luckily we had cut enough firewood from our trip 3 weeks earlier that was still there that we could start our woodstove as it was a lot cooler this trip (first week in October). The next morning we get up early, but later than we wanted to as by the time we hit the road it was almost light enough to shoot and we had a good half hour drive to our hunting spot. Luckily this ended up working in our favour as the hunting gods were smiling on us.
We were about 15 minutes down the road when we come around the corner and see an animal in the bush right besided the road. As soon as we can identify it as a moose it starts to run away like a bat out of hell from us right down the middle of the road. It angles towards the trees on the north side of the road and we can see antlers- BULL! As this is happening, buddy had slammed on the brakes and we bail out of the vehicle. I immediately let out a long bawling cow call and the bull stops in its tracks and looks back at us over its shoulder. I let out another cow call and he turns broadside. Meanwhile, my partner has loaded his gun and is kneeling down. He takes one shot, moose down! He hit it right in the boiler room, though the heart and the moose collapsed in the ditch. Wooo Hooo number 2!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Moose_2011-2.jpg

We spent the rest of the day getting the moose back to camp, had a few celebratory beers while we were skinning it out and cutting it into quarters. The amazing thing is it was another spike fork! We could have shot any bull but as luck would have it two of the three moose we shot on this trip we did not even need our LEH draws- too funny.

The next day, we hunted in a couple of familliar areas and despite seeing a couple of cow moose, did not connect with anything. That evening, however, I decided to hunt down in an area where I have seen cows in the past- but no bulls. I figured as the rut was upon us maybe this was a good time.

I went down to the area and as I was driving in sure enough I spotted two cow moose standing there chewing, paying no attention to me. I parked the vehicle got out and proceeded to watch for a while. After about 10 minutes I let out a cow call, and saw one of the cows look towards a patch of timber, not at me at all. About 10 minutes later I called again, same thing she was looking in the forest. As light was almost gone, I walked back to the truck and headed back to camp.

The next day I went back in the morning and saw nothing, but that evening I went back to the same area. Sure enough, the two cows were there, standing almost in the same spot they were the night before, but lo and behold there was a third moose with them! I quickly threw up my binoculars and despite the failing light could see bone, BULL!

I immediately let out a long bawling cow call and the bull's ears turned towards me, he was rooted to the spot. I had my bi-pod and was about 150 yards away, so I was quite steady and sure of my shot. I was aiming at the boiler room, thinking I should aim a couple of inches towards the shoulder so I do not hit the diaphragm, but as I was so steady to be worrying about two inches forward or back I decided maybe I should do a neck shot. I aimed right at the base of the skull and let fly. He dropped like a sack of hammers, moose down Woo Hoo number 3.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011_moose_small.jpg

All in all a fantastic trip, we were so lucky, and have full freezers for the year.

mark
11-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Just figures, the LEH holders find the forky's! Lots of nice meat there!

rocksteady
11-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Sweet.....Some hunting trips are just pure gold..This sounds like one of them....

Sitkaspruce
11-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Congrats on a great hunt!!!

The last bull has a nice drop tine.

And to think that there is not two points running around!!!!

Cheers

SS

Bc Deer Hunter
11-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Great love the character on that last one! Congrats great shot :D

hunter1947
11-25-2011, 04:19 AM
Your hunting party did very well on this hunt you will have some of the best eating meat you can get from wild animals ,congrats to you and your partners on a very successful hunt.

hunterofthedeer
11-25-2011, 04:50 AM
Good story and congrats to your whole hunting party on the 3 nice bulls.

5 spike
11-25-2011, 05:40 AM
three great eating bulls congrats to all of you.

moose2
11-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Great story and congratulations on a good hunt.
Mike