PDA

View Full Version : Deer Sausage - anyone want mine?

guywitha270
11-24-2011, 02:21 PM
I just got my LEH doe back from my butcher. I asked for some "dinner sausage" to be made up this time instead of having it all made into hamburger. BIG mistake. I got 30 packages with 6 in each package. In a word, it's NASTY. It tastes and smells like old, sweaty feet. I was going to donate it to the Wildlife Park for the cougars and bears but if anyone on here wants it for their dogs you're welcome to come get it.

Some of you may actually like it, maybe it's just me but I REALLY couldn't eat 1, never mind the other 179 of them.

Don't ask me who made them cuz I'm not going to tell. I like the work they've dont for me otherwise.

I'm in Kamloops by the way.

one-shot-wonder
11-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Sounds like you took in a Mule doe in and got a big old stink buck from someone else back.
Process your own meat and you won't have to worry about that again. Sorry to hear about your luck, what a shame and a waste of a doe.

jeff
11-24-2011, 02:36 PM
any idea why its so rancid ,,crappy meat or crappy recipe

guywitha270
11-24-2011, 02:44 PM
It's not the meat. I already had some of the chops and they're delicious. It's got to be the recipe.

Grousedaddy
11-24-2011, 02:47 PM
I bet its cut rite meats. Took them two deer this year and they screwed up on both of them i hope nobody else goes to that plaxe worst service and meat i have ever gotten!!!! Should be called cut wrong meats

jeff
11-24-2011, 02:50 PM
It's not the meat. I already had some of the chops and they're delicious. It's got to be the recipe.

butchers usually mix other peoples meat together when doing sausage, unless u have a minimum size of his batches ,and he will use only your meat

Caveman
11-24-2011, 02:52 PM
I bet its cut rite meats.

I used them once for sausage and it will never happen again. Nice enough people, don't get me wrong, but I ended up tossing a couple hundren dollars away in sausage

Caveman
11-24-2011, 02:53 PM
butchers usually mix other peoples meat together when doing sausage, unless u have a minimum size of his batches ,and he will use only your meat

Everything tasted the same, didn't matter the type, but I couldn't eat any of it

ncurrie
11-24-2011, 02:54 PM
I make our own sausages, and they taste great, I am thinking that the recipe sucks or you got some one else's deer:( sorry to hear that:( the wildlife park will probably take them

blackwater moose
11-24-2011, 03:01 PM
we make our own, that way no one else to blame

257stew
11-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Try making a stew out of them. Slice with a sharp knive and give them a bit of a sear in a hot frying pan. Then place in a slow cooker to cook (they should not be cooked in pan,only browned) with some potatoes,carrots etc. Pour a cup of red wine in and let simmer for the day. Me i would drain off any liquid(except a bit) and add more wine in the last 1hr or so.. Make gravy and spices as you see fit.

My mom made my caribou taste great which I thought would be impossible( and everyone who had some wanted more) and my Alberta doe deer that we got last year has a slight gamey taste and man does it make a good stew when cooked with wine.

Might as well try since you payed for it.

257 Stew

doubled
11-24-2011, 07:03 PM
There are a few people that will take it for their dogs and be very happy!!!

aggiehunter
11-24-2011, 07:21 PM
"Big old stink buck...hmmm.....guess you either gotta give up late season huntin or get a butcher with more spices.....ps ....you can make sausage out of a ground hog ya' know...

stinkybuck
11-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Is it cutrite? Have had major issues in the past there and agree it should be CUTWRONG!!!!!

one-shot-wonder
11-24-2011, 10:46 PM
"Big old stink buck...hmmm.....guess you either gotta give up late season huntin or get a butcher with more spices.....ps ....you can make sausage out of a ground hog ya' know...

The guy harvested a doe, I am sure a perfectly normal, great tasting doe.....problem is he took it to a butcher that ground a vat of meat with numerous other deer at the same time, very common practise. hence he is now eating buck sausage!

Quit late season hunting so Ern can shoot them with his bow..........sounds like a hell of a plan!

cloverphil
11-24-2011, 10:59 PM
I don't make sausage out of any of it, never have, but I process it all myself, last doe we had 6 pounds of hamburger and the rest was steak or stew meat

recoil
11-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Crazy stuff, i have never had that happen yet although the cutter i use has an outstanding reputation. To keeps costs down i am going to start making my own pepperoni and sausage for the first time this year, bought a big chief this summer (also great for salmon) and an inexpensive electric meat grinder/stuffer. I have about $350 into the equipment and i figure it should pay for itself in no time as normally it costs about $220-240 to do a large deer in about 50/50 ground meats and steaks, and i usually get at least two a year. It a shame to waste a doe tag by getting garbage meat back, i would demand an explanation.

mpotzold
11-25-2011, 01:41 AM
Very strange!:shock:
My feeling is that the butcher made the deer sausage mixed with- deer fat, rancid pork or beef, other game, or leftovers from other hunters. Was your doe gut shot? Maybe it spoiled while storing!
I remember one year we took a dressed deer to a butcher & the end product was about 50 lbs. heavier than before. The taste was great so no complaints!:)

Walking Buffalo
11-25-2011, 02:10 AM
Very strange!:shock:
My feeling is that the butcher made the deer sausage mixed with- deer fat, rancid pork or beef, other game, or leftovers from other hunters. Was your doe gut shot? Maybe it spoiled while storing!
I remember one year we took a dressed deer to a butcher & the end product was about 50 lbs. heavier than before. The taste was great so no complaints!:)

That would be my guess from the taste description.

hunter1947
11-25-2011, 03:49 AM
If me I would take a few of them back to the person that made them and tell him to try one and see what he says I had the same thing happen to me years ago I took back a few to the butcher that made them.

He tried one and said to me there not right something went wrong he then said I will give you the same amount of meat you brought in but it will have to be beef if thats ok with you I will proses the meat the same as you had ordered and this time it will be right ,ether that I will pay you for the coast of the meat you lost and you don't pay me anything on the order I did for you.

Walksalot
11-25-2011, 07:40 AM
If I can't eat it I would not feed it to my dog!!!! The maker could have messed up and the whole batch went south.

Caveman
11-25-2011, 08:03 AM
I took mine there about five or six years ago and it sounds like his methods or recipes still are crap. Not a circumstance of mixing meats or a bad batch. He just doesn't have a quality sausage maker, plain and simple. I make my own now and it is ten times better than what he turns out.

SR80
11-25-2011, 08:10 AM
That place is also super busy, I dont think they turn down any work, so thats going to effect quality for sure.

lovemywinchester
11-25-2011, 08:17 AM
I had my mule buck done at Cut Rite this fall. I had 25 lbs of brats made up and it is great. Chops are great as well. No complaints.

willyqbc
11-25-2011, 11:19 AM
My guess is you had a combination of things.......
- very busy butcher shop so not much attention was being paid to trimming the fat, deer fat is NOT particularly tasty
- multiple animal batches of burger being made as mentioned above.....VERY common practice

If all you are getting done is burger and sausage, cube it up yourself and remove ALL fat, silverskin etc., this is the only way to know for sure that all the nasty stuff is removed. Look for a smaller shop that maybe specializes in sausage and take the cubed up meat there. Have them replace the fat you removed with pork fat and you should be pretty happy with the end product.

Just my opinion
Chris

doubled
11-25-2011, 11:31 AM
my guess is you had a combination of things.......
- very busy butcher shop so not much attention was being paid to trimming the fat, deer fat is not particularly tasty
- multiple animal batches of burger being made as mentioned above.....very common practice

if all you are getting done is burger and sausage, cube it up yourself and remove all fat, silverskin etc., this is the only way to know for sure that all the nasty stuff is removed. Look for a smaller shop that maybe specializes in sausage and take the cubed up meat there. Have them replace the fat you removed with pork fat and you should be pretty happy with the end product.

Just my opinion
chris

bingo!!!! X2!!!

bighornbob
11-25-2011, 11:43 AM
My guess is you had a combination of things.......
- very busy butcher shop so not much attention was being paid to trimming the fat, deer fat is NOT particularly tasty
- multiple animal batches of burger being made as mentioned above.....VERY common practice

If all you are getting done is burger and sausage, cube it up yourself and remove ALL fat, silverskin etc., this is the only way to know for sure that all the nasty stuff is removed. Look for a smaller shop that maybe specializes in sausage and take the cubed up meat there. Have them replace the fat you removed with pork fat and you should be pretty happy with the end product.

Just my opinion
Chris

Besides the above you can also take the meat in later in the season. When butchering a deer I place all the cleaned burger meat into zip lock bags (about 8 lbs per bag) and throw them into the freezer. If I decide to get sausage done I take it to the butcher in January or February. I have even taken mixed bags (some moose, some mulie, some whitetail) and have never had a problem.

Taking it in later you will avoid it getting mixed up with rutted up anaimals etc or the busy slaughter season (domestic cows). The butcher will hopefully be less busy and take more time making only your sausage and not mixed with 20 other deer.

BHB

behemoth
11-25-2011, 11:57 AM
I had this happen a few years ago with an unnamed butcher/ sausage maker.

I paid for italian sausage and when I cooked it up it was absolutely unedible. It tasted like they put 3-4 times the amount of spice in than was required. It was soooo salty and overpowering it was unbelievable.

I went to the butcher to complain and he went into the back and brought out his "sausage maker". I repeated my complaint to her in front of him and she actually said "Well I guess you will have to eat them with lots of Ketchup then". I looked at the butcher (shop owner) and he just shrugged and smiled.

I tried in vain to find a way to cook them, in spaghetti, etc but the only thing that semi-worked was as hotdogs over a campfire with lots of mustard and KETCHUP. LOL

4 years ago this happened and I have never bought a piece of meat from them again even though I used to do allot of shopping there.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-25-2011, 12:05 PM
is the sausage poisonous as well as rancid? if yes, then it needs to be reported.

Gumsehwah
11-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Find someone with sled dogs. They are always glad to take in "butcher-disasters" and "freezer burn" cases.

sawmill
11-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Take them back to the shop and complain,let him taste one.If you don`t get any satisfaction stand in front of the shop and open every pack and dump them on the side walk amd tell EVERYONE who comes by that the guy is a crook.

guywitha270
11-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Like I said, I don't mean the place any ill will. $hit happens, I realize that. I am more wise now to what I won't be doing in the future. And no, my doe was not gutshot - it was a double lung shot and she was at the butchers within 2 hours hanging with the skin off. I like the idea of waiting until later in the winter to get it done. Thanks for all the suggestions. By the way, I know some dogs will be eating well for the next several weeks!!

Steeleco
11-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Since this seems like it's turning into a butcher slam post, if someone wants the sausage, please contact the OP via PM.