PDA

View Full Version : Well Within Blacktail Range??

Ol'Toyo
11-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Hi,
After reading a couple of the latest posts, I noticed in two of them a reference to being "withing blacktail range" or "in BT range". Could someone please elaborate as to what this actually means? Thanks Kindly:)

keoke
11-24-2011, 02:15 PM
http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgrecords/records_boundaries.asp?area=bgrecords

Scroll down to the BT part

Gateholio
11-24-2011, 02:15 PM
It's where the American trophy records company Boone and Crockett have drawn a line that separates mule deer country from blacktail country. They have a map on their website.

IronNoggin
11-24-2011, 02:42 PM
It's where the American trophy records company Boone and Crockett have drawn a line that separates mule deer country from blacktail country.

And... as is the case with most such "boundaries" us Two-Legs assign to nature, it is close to complete BS IMHO. You will get a few Mulies well over the line into "Blacktail Country", and vice versa. Couple that with the relative ease with which they interbreed (forming "hybrids") and there is no real clear definition of either range.

It's always bothered me to some extent that a mainland "blacktail" that appears in form and function to actually be a Muley or Hybrid is classed exactly as is a Blacktail from the Island. Always thought the Island should have it's own distinct category, as they are quite different than those on the mainland...

Nog

Sitkaspruce
11-24-2011, 03:57 PM
And... as is the case with most such "boundaries" us Two-Legs assign to nature, it is close to complete BS IMHO. You will get a few Mulies well over the line into "Blacktail Country", and vice versa. Couple that with the relative ease with which they interbreed (forming "hybrids") and there is no real clear definition of either range.

It's always bothered me to some extent that a mainland "blacktail" that appears in form and function to actually be a Muley or Hybrid is classed exactly as is a Blacktail from the Island. Always thought the Island should have it's own distinct category, as they are quite different than those on the mainland...

Nog

Yup I agree Nog

A buddy shot a beauty (4x4) buck in Coalmont one year and it has a tail as black as one on the Island. I will see if I can drag up a picture.

Cheers

SS

ryanb
11-24-2011, 06:11 PM
I have seen a clear as day mulie way into blacktail country before. Wide rack, heavy body, complete mulie tail, not one single blacktail trait. Now if I had shot it, and it was record calibre, is it entered into the record books as a Mule Deer or blacktail? Just to muddy the waters.

mark
11-24-2011, 07:17 PM
I have seen a clear as day mulie way into blacktail country before. Wide rack, heavy body, complete mulie tail, not one single blacktail trait. Now if I had shot it, and it was record calibre, is it entered into the record books as a Mule Deer or blacktail? Just to muddy the waters.

From what I have gathered from this site, all guys care about is what side of the line it dies on......no-one seems to care about the actual species or its features! :)

keoke
11-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Maybe Boone and Crockett should build a fence to keep all the mule deer out.

steel_ram
11-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Traveling the Coastal Hwy of California saw some spectacular BT's, that looked just like the ones hear at home on Van Isle, except gifted with a better habitat. Nothing like those iffy grey zone area Pemberton or Skagit Bt/mulies. Guess they had to draw the line somewhere.