PDA

View Full Version : FSR Campsite question

brexton bum
11-23-2011, 12:44 AM
hypothetical question here fella's . forest service site is closed for the season gate locked. i'm walking beside the site, see an animal wandering about. Only good stalking route is right through the campground ,get almost all the way through but now the animal presents a clear broadside shot right across 2 picnic tables what are my options legally and morally.

pmj
11-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Keep walking. No discharge of firearms in Forestry Service sites at any time.

jeff
11-23-2011, 12:56 AM
well thats a tuff one , but im thinking thats a big negative .no way hosey

Jagermeister
11-23-2011, 01:01 AM
I cannot preceive a problem with the gate locked and no one else around.

Buckmeister
11-23-2011, 01:05 AM
If the gate is closed...then it's not an operable site? Just stirring the soup.

jeff
11-23-2011, 01:07 AM
If the gate is closed...then it's not an operable site? Just stirring the soup.

yummmmmm ,,i love soup

hunter1947
11-23-2011, 02:56 AM
To me this is a gray area myself I would not take the animal.

XPEIer
11-23-2011, 07:55 AM
First, there is no such thing as a Forest Service campsite, they got out of recreation in 2005 and they are now all managed by Recreation Sites and Trails BC, www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca (http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca),

Second, it is illegal to discharge a firearm, including bow on or into the developed portion of a recreation site or trail.

Search for BC Recreation Regulations...

xpeier

Big Lew
11-23-2011, 08:08 AM
First, there is no such thing as a Forest Service campsite, they got out of recreation in 2005 and they are now all managed by Recreation Sites and Trails BC, www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca (http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca),

Second, it is illegal to discharge a firearm, including bow on or into the developed portion of a recreation site or trail.

xpeier

There's your answer.

BearStump
11-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Closed for the season doesnt mean that noone is there.
I was hunting with my son a couple weeks ago, after trudging through thick bush for 2 hrs we came out into this desolate campground. So we decided to walk through the campground to get to another opening in the bush, and rest our legs a little bit. It startled the crap out of us when 500 yds later we walk right up on a guy doing off season maintenance. Could have been bad if we were actively hunting or shooting there.

greenhorn
11-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Me... I wouldn't.

Tack243
11-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Better to play it safe and not shoot in that area, shoot in the regular hunting spots where there are no other hunters in site......HAHAHAHA. If you can find one.
Cheers

rocksteady
11-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Hypothetically speaking.......If there was a CO using one of the crappers (cause he had no ass wipe in his truck) and he stepped out, just as you were getting to the critter.......What would he say/do??? And what would be your defence???

Jagermeister
11-23-2011, 12:26 PM

xpeier(2) Unless authorized by a designated forest official, a person must not set a trap, discharge a firearm or shoot a bow or crossbow
(a) on or into the developed portion of a recreation site or interpretive forest site, or
(b) on or into any portion of a recreation trail,if a prohibition against doing so has been posted at the trail.

XPEIer
11-23-2011, 01:34 PM
on or into any portion of a recreation trail,if a prohibition against doing so has been posted at the trail. You are correct, trails have to be posted at the trailheads, dont know how you would see the signs if you hike in through the bush.

Campsites do NOT have to be posted.

xpeier

11-23-2011, 01:37 PM
You need to ask yourself a question...... How big is the rack??? And is any one watching???

Soup was burning,,needed another stir.

ElectricDyck
11-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Not even allowed to gut an animal in a site as they don't want bears to start frequenting the area.

Taurusguy
11-23-2011, 03:50 PM
I would just scare it towards an area where I could shoot it! Spot and stalk!

brexton bum
11-25-2011, 01:23 AM
I guess that settles it. Thanx for the info guys didnt know where to look.

11-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Throw rocks at it till it's clear of any wrong doing, then bang flop, seriously though, .......... read the regs on the subject they are there right in front of you.

Ethics and logic might also play a role ....... the picnic tables might twig you to that. Not a good idea.

CT

jonz
11-25-2011, 06:56 AM
Are there rec sites with gates? Provincial parks have them but I can't think of any gated rec sites offhand.

XPEIer
11-25-2011, 07:27 AM
isnt Evely on the Ok Lake gated. The ones that have a tradition of being destroyed are, or if there are fees and they close the gates at night.