PDA

View Full Version : Okanagan MV Restrictions proposal

The Dude
11-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Well to all those (incl myself) who are sick of seeing ATVs off-road in the Alpine in the Okanagan, here's a new proposal that would apply to ALL users above 1700M, not just hunters

Proposed Regulations:
Prohibit motor vehicles above 1,700 m elevation throughout the Okanagan Region except for use on existing roads or trails. Existing Road or Trail means:

any paved route
any marked cross-country or downhill ski route
any logging road, resource road, permit road or previously constructed non-status road which is sufficiently hardened that environmental damage is not occurring from the use of motor vehicles
any mining trail built with a bulldozer or excavator
any roads or trails that access fences, powerlines, wind generators, communications or other such sites
any trail that has been so frequently used by vehicles that the native vegetation has been obliterated and only compacted, exposed soil remains in the tire tracks. No continuous vegetative material remains within the travel area with the exception of that portion of the track which is straddled by the vehicle travelling.

Click here (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/ahte/okanagan_alpinemvp.pdf)to see map of proposed area.
Snowmobiles are proposed to be exempt from this regulation.
This proposed regulation applies to all users and is not specific to hunters.

Rationale:
Off road use in sensitive alpine habitats can negatively impacts alpine soils and plant communities. The Okanagan has some of the highest densities of roads in the province with easy access to alpine areas. At the same time the popularity of ATV’s is growing rapidly. The purpose of this regulation is to protect sensitive alpine habitats while maintaining access to ATV and other motor vehicle users. An elevation boundary is proposed as most backcountry users carry GPS and/or maps, that would allow users to identify boundaries and for Conservation Officers to enforce the regulation. This proposed access regulation has received general support from most user groups who share concerns with protecting alpine environments from off-road vehicle damage. The regulation would protect 3,265 km2 of alpine not already protected by other legal mechanisms (e.g. Provincial Parks) . This proposed regulation would be complementary to Section 46 (1) of the Forest and Range Practices Act, and would increase enforcement ability.

Link here: http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/ahte/hunting/okanagan-alpine-motor-vehicle-prohibition

mark
11-22-2011, 10:16 PM
The sad part is rule #6 opens up a large grey area.....a dozen quads go by and theres little vegetation left, hence a trail!
I can think of many trails through lots of alpine areas...

Enforcement will be tough.

snareman1234
11-22-2011, 10:21 PM
If it could be done, Id support 100%...just LOVE hiking a few hours into an alpine basin, to find a quad trail coming in from the backside, and a bunch of goofs ripping around on a weekend rip up

ufishifish2
11-22-2011, 10:31 PM
I think it is a great idea - provided I can still quad on existing trails as was mentioned above.
On the other hand I think it is just another rule in the string that is just about impossible to enforce but will bring in more tax $$ to the crown when opportunity knocks.

Amphibious
11-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me! agree #6 will cause a lot of confusion.

steel_ram
11-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Ditch #6 and your good to go.

Mik
11-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Is there a more detailed map? one that you could zoom in on?

Steeleco
11-23-2011, 09:25 AM
One weekend in the Kane valley and rule #6 won't count for shit. That area is crazy buys with quads and such on just about any LWE. You'd have a hell of a time deciphering which trial was there last week and which wasn't

nwalter
11-23-2011, 10:26 AM
I agree with this rule as long as they scratch #6.

goatdancer
11-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Long overdue but will be next to impossible to enforce.