PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safes

twr
11-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Looking at buying a gun safe, does anyone have any input on which ones to look at and which ones not too? anyone got one for sale?

keoke
11-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Costco in the states has a nice one, Winchester safe. 2' wide and had a nice self system in it. I think it was 350-400 bucks or something around there.

BlacktailStalker
11-22-2011, 09:47 AM
I have a 6 gun titan, its pretty good, electronic keypad and weighs a ton. There is another model that holds 8 or 10 I think and would have got that one if I had the choice again. Good pricing if you arent looking for fire safe.

BearStump
11-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Looking at buying a gun safe, does anyone have any input on which ones to look at and which ones not too? anyone got one for sale?

Depends on what you want? Do you just want to stay legal? or do you want your guns locked up so an army of zombies can't get to them?

My buddy had one of those "stack- on" gun cabinets and his place got broken into. The b&e got interupted by a nieghbor and the thieves hightailed it outa there, but the gun cabinet was destroyed, laying on the floor and all his guns were piled up at the front door with all the other stuff that they were gonna take. IMO if a cabinet can be busted into that easily there's no point in even having it.

The Hermit
11-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Costco in Canada sell them periodically too got mine there it's a Sentry electric key pad heavy works good. I think it was $600.

twr
11-22-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm looking for a gun safe that you can't get into easily, preferably zombie proof, but also doesn't cost me my left N*t. been looking at the sentry 10 gun one. i don't think i need anything bigger then that. i want to store in upstairs in my house, so i don't want it weighing 1000 pounds either.

reach
11-22-2011, 10:57 AM
My buddy had one of those "stack- on" gun cabinets and his place got broken into. The b&e got interupted by a nieghbor and the thieves hightailed it outa there, but the gun cabinet was destroyed, laying on the floor and all his guns were piled up at the front door with all the other stuff that they were gonna take. IMO if a cabinet can be busted into that easily there's no point in even having it.
+1. The sheet metal ones can be opened with a crowbar. They're only kid resistant, not theft proof. I had some guns stolen last year from the Canadian Tire $75 special. Luckily the two most valuable ones were recovered but I still lost a couple.

I now have the small gun safe from Costco. It was about 300 bucks for 7 cubic feet (I think). It has the keypad and is carpeted. It's made of plate steel so it would take a lot more effort to get into it.

Mark_S
11-22-2011, 02:22 PM
I have a stack on Elite model which is pretty heavily built.

However a few days ago I could not get into the damn thing. I would enter my code and the door would not unlock. I tried using the supplied keys to open it and found I had the wrong keys with the wrong serial number for my safe. After a while of messing around and dreaming of being able to start my rifle collection from scratch again I smartened up and changed the battery which of course worked although the safe had not given me the low battery warnings the instructions said it would.

Now to get a proper key for my safe I have to jump through a bunch of hoops and get a form notarized along with my receipt of purchase (which I don't have as the safe was a gift) in order to get a new key.

So check and make sure your safe comes with the proper keys before you buy it.

sneaky67
11-22-2011, 07:15 PM
http://www.libertysafe.com/

good safes

twr
11-23-2011, 10:14 AM
went to wholesale in langley yesterday, it was either a great big liberty running close to 3g's or a stack on peice of sheetmetal. pretty poor selection. i will try costco today to see if they have anything better.

brazen
11-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Maybe they should be hidden under carpeted floorboards, under a heavy dresser???

RayHill
01-04-2014, 03:54 PM
The Stack On 36 gun safes are back on sale now for $899.00 Reg. $1500.00 Great safes, Great Deal too!

Ferenc
01-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Check out some of the locksmith shops...usally vintage and of character...I saw some in Valley locksmith in the Wack....some of them would serve the purpose and look cool...probably make a deal on one..cash is king!

35rem
01-04-2014, 11:05 PM
CT has a sale on:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/stackon-36-gun-capacity-safe-0757199p.html?cid=DTP_AlertEmail_prdClick_0757199_ en#.Usj2IPRDvgw

huntcoop
01-05-2014, 12:20 AM
When they have them the ones sold at Costco are the best bang for your buck.

pit bull
01-05-2014, 01:06 AM
Liberty is the way i went. Holds 20 guns and has shelving for other valuables. It is fire rated, weighs 800 lbs, has a dozen 1 1/4" round draw bars for locking. I got mine from Bellingham Lock and Safe. Only cost about $1400. same one in canada was $2100

2forty
01-05-2014, 02:57 AM
I have a American Security purchased at the Fraser valley sportsman show from Italian sporting goods it holds 18guns has shelves a light ,fire rated and weighs 1000lbs it's been great.Pretty heavy duty.

Gun Dog
01-05-2014, 09:29 AM
There's gun "safes" and gun "cabinets". Safes have thicker sides and door, better deadbolts and might have a fire rating. Cabinets are sheet metal with 1 to 3 metal latches. It depends how secure you want your guns. The gun count usually refers to guns with iron sights. With my 8-gun stackon I have to put my scoped rifles sideways which limits the gun count. With my 16-gun stackon there's some standoffs for scoped rifles but the spacing is a little tight and the bolt handles touch the next gun. Plus the shelf means my shotgun -- with it's long barrel -- only fits on the side of the cabinet.

My Costco has random gun safes show up but you order them online too.

Canadian Tire has random sales which are worth waiting for.

.330 Dakota
01-05-2014, 09:54 AM
I was in Cabela's in Winipeg during the holidays and looked at a Liberty (Cabela brand name) safe that held 30 guns, 1200 degree fire rating and 10 deadbolts around the door,,,1500 bucks,,not bad.....things to look for in a safe,,ie--no exposed hinges etc..
I have 3 of the tin can types, and I know they can be opened with a hefty screwdriver,,not really safes,,,hhmmm

hunterjeff719
01-05-2014, 11:01 AM
ive got a northern safe co. gun safe. its theft proof fire proof and has the electronic keypad. and will hold 20 guns if I take the one side of shelving out. it weighs I think 700lbs and I paid about 1300 for it 2 years ago. pm me for the details of the locksmith I bought it from.

MRP
01-05-2014, 07:31 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/cab11.JPG

A Stack On safe on its side makes a good ammo and reloading cab. and hat shelf :cool: