PDA

View Full Version : MU 7 wolf hunting methods

pete_k
11-22-2011, 01:30 AM
To anyone in the PG area with experience in wolf hunting. Can you please explain or share some of the techniques you employ?

My first thoughts are to hunt over bait. A package of rotten hamburger or fish. Drop the bait out in the open. Set up my blind at about 300 yards perpendicular to the wind. And then freeze my a$$ off.
Is it even worth waiting on the same day as the bait drop? Are the wolves wise enough to avoid a free meal for a spell? Or should I just sneak back into the area the next day?

I don't really look forward to sitting in a blind for hours freezing (but I will if I have to). So if any of you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

hunter1947
11-22-2011, 02:42 AM
When I wolf trapped on Vancouver Island we put out parts of road kill or dead cow parts etc in an area where we saw lots of wolf tracks ,if you get a good vantage point over looking the animal parts you have a good chance on connecting with a wolf in a few days if you do this as mentioned make sure the animal parts are at lest 200 yards + out and make sure when you do this set up that its easy and not far in where you will be set up in line of fire to the baiting station :wink:.

pitbell
11-22-2011, 08:09 AM
You will need something large for bait that will take them a while to finish off. It will usually take 2-4 days for the Wolves to find it. Just watch for the birds. Once the birds find it the wolves won't be far off. Please get out there and kill some!

ROEBUCK
11-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Its tough getting wolves to come to a bait especially if the bait isnt wild
there very suspicias of bait stations and will normally come in after dark
a better plan would be to find winter kill or find were the road kill gets dumped
one such place is the end of norman lake road were it meets the highway.
Theres allways wolves and yotes in there

bear buster
11-22-2011, 08:15 AM
set up bait on a pond or creek, use an ice auger or axe to make holes, stand a deer leg or other parts of road kill, farmers dead cows ect in holes. they will freeze in and not be able to carry away the bait. check with farmers and ranchers they will gladly let you set baits in there pastures ect. hope this helps. doing this gives you lots of area you can watch as they come in alowing for more than one shot most times.

BlacktailStalker
11-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Start baiting them long before you hunt them.
Learn the way they come into the bait and kill them enroute a couple hundred yards away, not at the bait.
If you kill them on the bait they'll be wise to it...

CanuckShooter
11-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Stake out a live calf or lamb in the middle of a lake....it's plaintiff cries will attract predators....

pete_k
11-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the ideas so far guys. Except CS, he's just bein' a sh*t disturber.
Mind you if my neighbors dog keeps crapping on my lawn I may consider live bait.

CanuckShooter
11-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the ideas so far guys. Except CS, he's just bein' a sh*t disturber.
Mind you if my neighbors dog keeps crapping on my lawn I may consider live bait.

;-)....no way...me?!! Although you may have more success if you add 'calling' to the bait scenario. Fawn in distress...maybe? Or use a recorded call and a decoy, not necessarily alive. :-)

Call of the Wild
11-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Like others said, wolves will most likely come to the bait at night and they’ll circle the bait before going to it day or night. They are very smart animal and if you’re lucky to see them at the bait you’ll have one opportunity to hunt that pack on a bait site. Also you might wait for a long time for the wolves to find your bait, wasting your time, and if they eat the bait at night you’re at the right place but the wrong time because we can’t hunt them at night.

If I’d be you I would change my strategy by using the bait site to keep them in the area. Just like a good wolf trapping technique to use bait site(s) but setting snares and foot traps in some of their travel corridors in large area. They won’t associate the bait to danger.

Yes the wolf population is expanding in western Canada but each wolf pack has a big territory, finding and locating a pack or a lone wolf is the priority to have success. Set your bait in a good location to keep the wolves in that area and if you have access to a quad follow their movement. Logging roads and cutlines are perfect for the purpose. Once you find their foot prints going in and out of your bait they should stay until your bait is out or they are disturb.

Now I believe that is when it gets fun. When the wolves howl get close to them, use your quad if they’re far up to 1-2 km of their location. Then walk in their direction with the wind in your face to find a place with a nice view (a clear cut or in the low density bush spot) and start howling very loud. It won’t be very long and you’ll get answers, once that happen cut them when they start to howl and start howling when they don’t to provoke them more.

Wolves are territorial animals and will protect their territory, so calling them will make them react. The pack might split with only a few coming to you or they will all come in. Watch for movement everywhere especially down wind and in a clear cut keep an eye at the bush line and the low spots in the land. I have personally done this with success bringing them in and two good friends did so using the same strategy except without using bait. We were at the right place to wolf hunt while hunting big game in the fall.

This is a non aggressive strategy, unlike hunting over bait, so if you get busted because they smell you or to nervous to come in close enough they won’t vanish from the area. All you have to do is locate them again to give it an other try the same evening or the next day. When you kill one or a few wolves of a pack they should leave that area for quite some time.

Keep us update us on you quest!!

Sitkaspruce
11-22-2011, 12:21 PM
When i lived in "The Fort", we would travel around by snowmobile and look for sign around lakes. When we found fresh sign, we would head out in the lake and pile a bunch of snow up and cover it with a black sheet.

We then set up down wid of the area,covering our machines with white sheets and then do moose cow calls and wolf howls. If there was wolves around, they would soon come to the edge of the lake to see what was happening......the black sheet would keep them looking while they circled the lake to get downwind....and right into your sights.

At least that was the theory.....most of the time we would shoot as soon as they showed up on the lake......

But it does work. A guy who was na old time trapper and wolf hunter used this method a lot with good results.

Another method is to cruise lakes looking for a fesh kill, then set up on it and howl....if they were around, then they would come out to see what was going on. Stuart lake was good for this between town and Battleship Bay, used to sit on the islands and call from there.

Cheers

SS