PDA

View Full Version : 2011 sept grizz hunt

bowhunterbruce
11-21-2011, 05:54 PM
as a few of you know i went and did some guiding this year.after being up in the high country chasing sheep and goats i was placed down on the south camp until my grizzly hunter came in.
after he arrived and we did the usual check the gun out i see that this is one guy that know his weapon.a coustom made 30 hart with a huskamaw scope on top of it.
to say this guy could shoot was a mild understatement as he grouped all three rounds inside of each other at 100 yrds,less then 1/2 grouping.
i was told about this guy and his abilities however i had it set in my mind to not allow him to shoot at anything over 200 yrds.
we left for the hr and a half drive out to our west camp only upon arriving that a grizz had come and gone from the cabin.he took out a window hence you will see in the pics ,one of my tarps covering it .
we drove some 15 or so km to go check out a few slides only to just see a few big blackies including one that had escaped from the circus i think.this 6 footer loved hamming it up for the camera as i got out to take a few pics.
although the hunter had a black bear tag along with his grizz tag he was only interested in a blacky if it was a color phase.
the next day we were at the fist lookout point watching a few different bears up on the first set of slides non of which were grizz so we went around the backside of those hills and checkout a few other awsome spots but still no grizz.
well by this time it was lunch so we ate the proceeded to go back to the first set of slides and drive to the end of them.after some glassing a big boar grizz steps out of the bush and proceeds to consume every blueberry he could get his lips around as he is climbing up the mtn.
being as it was now 130 in the afternoon, we didnt have time to make the mile and a half crossing of the valley bottom and do the 1500 ft climb to the elevation he was at so i worked out a plan for the morning.
as we watched and glassed the mtn across the valley bears started popping out everywhere and within the next hr there were 5 different grizzleys and 4 black bears all chowing down on the same mtn.it was as though every bear had his/her own ridge and none of them cared about the others.
well we got back to camp early where i made us a massive plate of pasta [carbs for the next day]
the next morning found us getting out of the truck and heading across the valley by 8 am.the afternoon before i did a lil walk across 3 fast deep moving streams and through some bush to the edge of some swampy beaver ponds to see what else we were going to be in for.
well we managed to nagociate our way across the valley without getting our feet wet and started our climb.
now we didnt see the big guy when we left the truck however as we were starting our climb i get a call on the radio from our spotter ,he see's 2 pretty good ones and both are dark ,just what the hunter wanted.
well the next 4 1/2 hrs was spent climbing up as high as we could get to keep our scent as far above them as possible ,god bless thermals.anyways once we hit the top of the blueberry's we worked our way across those 60 degree slopes until i felt like were getting close.i radioed the spotter and he says the biggest one is 250 yrds at our 4 o-clock.we get into a great spot not 100 yards away from him and wait.over an hr goes by and still no bear.
now i'm thinking that the spotters judgeing of distance from across the valley is way off and i make the choice to move slowly across the hill.
we dont go 40 yrd when the bear appears and he had made us.as im assing boar or sow the hunter alreayd had his rifle up and ready.as soon as i said take em the lead flew.
the shot was less then 80 yrds on a downhill shot.he had followed everything to the letter as per our game plan and we now had us a rolling grizz.
well the bear was dead from the 1 shot however had rolled down some few hundred yards and came to rest in a pretty good spot,lot of good clear visuals in every direction.
well an hr of pics and then the skinning and packing up we started back down the hill right at 6 pm.
now i was told to be off the hills by dark for obvious reasons and as darkness fell upon us we were still in the trees working our way by following my gps.within a short while we had located our trail in point and were able to follow out exactly the way we went in.
by the time we got back to the truck it was 10 15 pm making the entire hunt over 14 hrs long. good thing we carb loaded the night before huh.
i hope you enjoy the slideshow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2yHz-k9tSM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

markt308
11-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Right on! Some great pics there. congrats on a sweet bear

horshur
11-21-2011, 06:06 PM
was nice to see some pics of that bear..good meeting you this fall.

Andy

pg83
11-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Congrats on a fine looking Griz

bowhunterbruce
11-21-2011, 06:24 PM
was nice to see some pics of that bear..good meeting you this fall.

Andy
glad ya liked them buddy and ya i had a great time out there as well meeting and hunting with everyone

ROEBUCK
11-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Nice bear
congrats Bruce !
Dan

Doc Sprat
11-21-2011, 07:24 PM
were those huckleberrys?

Deer_Slayer
11-21-2011, 07:38 PM
very nice.

11-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Nice bear. Sounds like a productive area.

hunter1947
11-22-2011, 03:53 AM
Bruce nice bore you got on this hunt nice to see everything came together for you ,congrats..

trigger
11-22-2011, 11:10 AM
well done guys great video. thanks for sharing

doubled
11-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Cool show Bruce, well done. Hopefully a grizz hunt will be in the works soon for me.