PDA

View Full Version : So, I've successfully shot and killed my quarry. Now what?

Fella
11-21-2011, 12:57 AM
Just wanting to be prepared for when it actually happens. So after all the pictures are taken, I'm assuming the beast needs be be gutted and then cut into portions. Anyone have any good resources (ie. books, youtube videos, first hand knowledge) on how to do this?

BiG Boar
11-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Google and search all about "gutless method". It will be the only way to do things once you have done it once. Use the search function on here, do a lot of reading, then if you have specific questions, PM me or put a question up on here.

Also, look at a whack of pictures of the animal you are hunting before you hunting so you know what pose looks best before you go shoot it and have some crappy pictures of your first animal, hanging from your garage of something like that.

Basically broken down, the gutless method is exactly that. You take all the meat except the ribs, (can even do this if you want), and basically cut off one leg at a time and then the back straps. You don't have to gut the animal. Though you may want to take the heart or the liver.

Buy or make your own pillow cases (game bags) from bed sheets, and put all the skinned quarters, with 1 square inch of fur and sex attached to them. Then hang in a cool place. Its a lot easier than your imagining.

Singleshotneeded
11-21-2011, 01:29 AM
For deer, which are small, gut the animal and drag it out, and you'll keep all the meat. Nothing to it, videos online.
Gutless Method for larger animals far away from the nearest road you can get your truck down has merit, see videos.

peashooter
11-21-2011, 07:26 AM
YouTube is your friend. Good on you for trying to learn BEFORE you go kill something, so many people post these after the deer is sitting in the garage. There are DVDs that give a detailed how to, I think outdoor edge has one. Video I think is better than a book. Is there any "veteran" hunter that you can tag along with to show you? Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions if needed.

Fella
11-22-2011, 12:03 AM
My cousin learned this the hard way. Shot his first buck this year, and realised he didn't know how to field dress the animal. Lucky he had cell service so he looked it up on youtube.

Ry151
11-22-2011, 01:42 AM
the book i got is great. "field dressing your big game by R.M. LeMay". it has lots of pictures, talks about temperatures and what the weight of quarters will be for your animals. It will give you a great basic foundation to start on.

Black Bird
11-22-2011, 03:27 PM
The Complete Hunter "Dressing and Cooking Wild Game" is a pretty good resource. I use it to butcher my own deer on my kitchen counter. Ideally, you would go out for your first time with someone who knew what they were doing. Gutting isn't rocket science, but there are sure some tips that can help keep everything pretty clean (well, as clean as can be). As mentioned above, u-tube is your friend.

http://www.basspro.com/The-Complete-Hunter%C2%AE-Dressing-and-Cooking-Wild-Game-Book/product/87704/-548795

Good luck,
BB

vortex hunter
11-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Fella the no gut method is easier then you think I did it my first time on my second Buck . watch a few youtube vid's ... PM me and will tell you how to do it

Deer_Slayer
11-22-2011, 04:05 PM
try and go out with an experienced hunter if possible, and they will help you.

new hunter
11-22-2011, 05:23 PM
I tried the gutless method this year and won't do it again , perhaps I did it wrong but I ended up leaving to much meat to the coyotes . Bring a big back pack and some garbage bags . Gut the animal , it may take a while but its not that hard or awful . If your squeamish bring rubber gloves , but if you use your head and find your stomach it won't be necessary .
Bring a length of rope , if you chose to drag out the animal it will be essential .
If you forget the rope , or drop your animal deep in the bush you'll want to peice out your animal and carry it out in your bag .
If you choose to do this you run a big risk of getting your meat dirty . I got one backstrap just filthy and didn't pick the carcass over well enough in part because of this .
I have heard to skin out your animal and do your cutting over the hide . I think in the future I will either bring a sheet of plastic with me , or drag the animal into an area wth fresh snow and work over that .
Don't fill the garbage bags with meat , then try to fit them in your bag , instead line your back pack with bags and drop the meat in after , it will save you some headache.
I sugest either bringing a bone saw , or buying a knife with a saw blade on it . You'll find it very helpful .
If you do manage to fill your bag you will be in for a very tiring hike out , make sure your back pack is sturdy and comfortable , and that the gear you bring in is as light as possible to begin with . I suggest combining as much gear as possible {knife with saw blade , not both tools seperate eg) , and not over packing . I will only take twenty feet of rope , I will probably leave my binos at home next time (depending were I hunt } , and I never carry a big knife (fixed blade , five inch blade ).
I took my first deer this year . I was never taught , other than advice on here , and I hunt solo . When I got my deer I was abuot 300yrds in the trees , km from my truck and unable to drive closer due to snow . I was under equipped and unprepared but in the end it all worked out .
Take your time , use your head and do things one step at a time and everything will be fine .
And remember big game and small game are pretty much the same other than size , if you can clean a rabbit you can clean a deer .