PDA

View Full Version : Cut a tag, unusual buck

3rdprizeyourfired
11-20-2011, 11:41 PM
I arrowed a buck this A.M. Putting aside my compound I dusted off my Exocet, I haven't hunted with it for a few years, having to much fun with the compounds, but it was time for a X Bow hunt.

What a Monster Bow! Double lung, and deep into the forest floor goes the bloody bolt, nearly knocked the deer over! Maybe 60 yards of blood trail and there he is, tipped over. I dragged him home as I'm hunting in my woodlot (My morning cardio!!) While getting him on the gambrel I noticed he's missing his rear left hoof and 6" of leg! He had a tough looking stump that he must have walked on, upon skinning there was quite the difference in muscle mass between the shank stump and his slender normal shank, must have been an old injury/deformation(?) Also his left antler is forked with a small brow tine, and his right is a spike. Would having a leg injury like this cause the asymmetry in his antlers? Are asymmetrical antlers like this common?

Thanks for reading.

r106
11-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Wow thats wierd. Any pics?

buck nash
11-21-2011, 12:23 AM
That kind of asymetrical antler configuration is pretty common in otherwise normal healthy deer so I doubt it's related but it would be interesting to see some pictures of the deformed leg if you got any.

3rdprizeyourfired
11-21-2011, 12:51 AM
I'm not up to speed on posting pics but will email to someone who can, pm your email address.

dave_fras
11-21-2011, 06:11 AM
was it a whitey or mule?... of got some tcam pics of a mule with the same kinda issue

5 spike
11-21-2011, 06:19 AM
that is wierd. congrats

3rdprizeyourfired
11-21-2011, 10:17 AM
It is a Black Tail, I'm on the Island.

Foxtail
11-21-2011, 10:45 AM
for the pics, just go to photobucket.com and start an account, its free. then just upload the pics from your computer to your photobucket. you can then just copy and paste your pic url in your thread on here.

3rdprizeyourfired
11-21-2011, 11:51 PM
I tried the photobucket, registered and everything but my email for some reason would not send(?) Remington Jim sent me his email address and he will post them for me, better with strings and sticks than with computers I guess. Thanks Jim.

moose2
12-08-2011, 08:41 AM
I tried the photobucket, registered and everything but my email for some reason would not send(?) Remington Jim sent me his email address and he will post them for me, better with strings and sticks than with computers I guess. Thanks Jim.

If you resize your picture to large on your computer it then can be uploaded to the gallery on this site. After that it can be opened and copy and pasted to this thread.
Hope this helps
Mike

Shooter
12-08-2011, 03:08 PM

You don't need e-mail for photobucket. Just save the pictures from your email straight to your desktop. Then in photobucket click on "upload" and find the picture that you saved to the desktop and click ok. After it is uploaded to photobucket just copy the "image link" that will be on the side of the screen when you open the picture up (in photobucket) and then "paste" that same image link into a post here. Then the picture will show up.

quadrakid
12-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Injuries to the leg can also manifest themselves as antler deformation.