PDA

View Full Version : All terrain tires

Don_Abbate
11-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Im buying new tires this week and need help i'm stuck between these 4 tires and would like everyones input
BFG AT KO
TOYO OPEN COUNTRY AT
HANKOOK DYNAPRO ATM
GOODYEAR WRANGLER SILENT ARMOR

MY VEHICLE IS 2010 FORD RANGER AND IM KEEPING THE STOCK SIZE OF 255 70 R16

r106
11-20-2011, 11:24 PM
I just got the toyo At's for my 1 ton and so far i'm happy with them. I haven't had a chance yet to give them a good run in the snow to see how they perform. But so far I would recomend them.

I also used to have a set of bfg's on a 1/2 ton and I had no compaints with them either

Steeleco
11-21-2011, 12:16 AM
I mounted BFG's on my F150 and really like them, I'd have got Bridgstone Revo's 2's had they made them in an LT rated tire in the size I need. Which ever tire you get, try to get the winter triangle on them and make sure they are LT rated and not the same size tire in a "P" rating.

akyne
11-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Those are all decent tires, for me it would come down to price. I've had good experiences with all four manufacturers...

dabat
11-21-2011, 08:33 AM
I am a huge fan of the Silent Armour, better than the BFG in my experiences. Don't know much about the other two but a friend of mine recently installed Cooper AT/3(I think thats what they are) and I was very impressed with where he went with them, still very new though.

reach
11-21-2011, 11:21 AM
I have a 95 Ranger and my BFG ATs have 90,000 km on them with still a couple of seasons of tread left. They've been great for me on this truck. I've only been stuck once when I got into ruts that were too deep - not the tires' fault.

That said, I think the Silent Armor tires are great tires too. For me it was a toss up between those and the BFGs, so I went on price.

I don't know anything about the other two.

MerrittBow
11-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I got the hankooks, awesome on mud dirt gravel, a little slidie on snow

REMINGTON JIM
11-21-2011, 12:32 PM
I just installed BFG AT 30x9.5x15 on my 06 tj jeep - had them siped 1/4 deep first - work great on ice and snow packed surfaces - aggresive enough to get er done in the deep heavy snow - JIM

longstonec
11-21-2011, 12:54 PM
I have Toyo A/T's. Perform well in wet and off road. They are decent in snow but they are not a snow tire.

green machine
11-21-2011, 01:03 PM
get the bfg's, i wish i did, i bought the toyos ats and they are shit in the mud and snow. they do not clean them selves out very well. going tommorw to get them siped hopefully this will help in the snow. buddy of mine has the bfg's on his dodge and they have worn very well 60,000 k and still good tread left. another guy i knew had them on his ranger and i was very suprized at how well it was in the snow and muck.

Ozone
11-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Which of these tires have the "mountian snowflake" symbol?

REMINGTON JIM
11-21-2011, 01:07 PM
get the bfg's, i wish i did, i bought the toyos ats and they are shit in the mud and snow. they do not clean them selves out very well. going tommorw to get them siped hopefully this will help in the snow. buddy of mine has the bfg's on his dodge and they have worn very well 60,000 k and still good tread left. another guy i knew had them on his ranger and i was very suprized at how well it was in the snow and muck.

Save your money - i have the bfg at - i got them siped with a depth of 1/4 " sipeing on helps on ice and packed surfaces - does not do a thing in deeprt smow or mud .

.330 Dakota
11-21-2011, 01:07 PM
I just installed BFG AT 30x9.5x15 on my 06 tj jeep - had them siped 1/4 deep first - work great on ice and snow packed surfaces - aggresive enough to get er done in the deep heavy snow - JIM

Shouldnt you be drivin a Dodge???...LOL

4pointer91
11-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Siping will help more with road ice conditions rather than the snow. Most tire stores will sipe across the full width of your tire with a machine, this sipes the outer lugs and leaves your tire prone to chunking. I just bought a set of 255/85/R16's BFG M/T tires for my Landcruiser, bought a 250W hand siping iron and siped the inner lugs myself. I now have a a great snow/mud tread that does well in icy conditions.

REMINGTON JIM
11-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Shouldnt you be drivin a Dodge???...LOL

Quit !! that f*&King company :evil: at the end of sept - best thing i ever did ! GMC duramax out in the yard !

green machine
11-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Siping will help more with road ice conditions rather than the snow. Most tire stores will sipe across the full width of your tire with a machine, this sipes the outer lugs and leaves your tire prone to chunking. I just bought a set of 255/85/R16's BFG M/T tires for my Landcruiser, bought a 250W hand siping iron and siped the inner lugs myself. I now have a a great snow/mud tread that does well in icy conditions.

ya i know how sipping works i had my last set of mud terrains siped and it made a huge difference on the packed icey roads. also the tire company i deal with only sipes the center tread so the chunking does not happen. but thanxs for the heads up anyhow. my toyo alterrains are horribble on the packed icey roads when in the bush thats why i am getting it done.

Benthos
11-21-2011, 07:16 PM
i had the bfg, and liked them (they were good in mud and snow), but thought they wore faster than they should have. since then i have the bridgestone dueller revo 2, and am happier with the performance.

MEnHUEY
11-21-2011, 09:30 PM
On the lighter trucks I have had real good luck with the BFG s (on a toyota tacoma and ford ranger) I liked the treadwear for these tires and they have the snowflake i believe. The others listed I dont know about, as BFG seemed to be a good price and quality for 4 sets worth over the years my latest is general grabber at2 so far i seems like a real nice tire so we will see how they wear. Just my 2cents.

Don_Abbate
11-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Were your bfgs on the ranger load range 8. If so is it to heavy

Don_Abbate
11-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Sorry i mean load range D

WaderGator
11-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Had BFG AT's on an 06 Ranger Level II Offroad so pretty similar to you're rig. Hated them! absolute garbage. Ive owned BFG AT's, MT's, Radial T/A's and Traction T/A's. I will never ever ever ever own another set of BFG tires again. Mr Goodrich himself could deliver a fresh set of tires to my place and I would tell him where to stick them.

reach
11-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Ive owned BFG AT's, MT's, Radial T/A's and Traction T/A's. I will never ever ever ever own another set of BFG tires again.
Slow learner? :D

All kidding aside, maybe you got a bad batch of the ATs? Mine have had great wear, good in mud and decent in the snow (before they got down to 50% anyway), no flats that I can recall. They're load range C with the snowflake.

Don_Abbate
11-22-2011, 12:41 AM
im just wondering if load range d tires will be a big difference in fuel economy i know it will be but will i really notice it bfg at load range d weight 45 pounds and standard load toyo ats weight 34 pounds each

Ry151
11-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Buy a good set of strickly winter tires (studded) and a set of summers, There is no tire that is soft enought for good traction on ice and still hard enough to get lots of Km's in the summer. If your worried about the extra cost then take the time to figure out what your insurance costs will be after an ICBC claim and you'll see that the two sets of tires is cheaper by far!

brexton bum
11-22-2011, 01:21 AM
had a set of bfg at's on my 95 pathfinder stock 31 inch tire size great tires but ruined them when my balljoints went south and didnt get them fixed quick enough. bought a set of general grabber at2's because of the price. just garbage took them back and picked up a set of pirreli scorpion at's . decent tire good in the snow not sure about mud though. drive more on the road then id like thats for sure

NorthShoreX
11-22-2011, 02:19 AM
I've got BFG AT's. They have the mountain snowflake symbol and I find that they are good in the snow, especially on roads/highways. Not so good in the mud, they pack up really quick and easy, in fact I've had some very interesting moments on the trails because of it. The overall mileage I find to be quite low, the rubber is softer than other tires and they get torn up easy in the rocks.

reach
11-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Buy a good set of strickly winter tires (studded) and a set of summers, There is no tire that is soft enought for good traction on ice and still hard enough to get lots of Km's in the summer. If your worried about the extra cost then take the time to figure out what your insurance costs will be after an ICBC claim and you'll see that the two sets of tires is cheaper by far!
Yes it really doesn't cost any more at all, since both sets will last twice as long if they're only on half the time.

My BFG ATs were passable in the snow when they were new, but once they wore down a bit I had to get some real snow tires. I'm using General Altimax Arctic studded and they seem pretty good.

NorthShoreX, what size of truck do you have? I'm curious that I get such great treadwear on my Ranger but others not so much. It seems like maybe the BFGs wear out quicker on heavier rigs?

Ron.C
11-22-2011, 11:29 AM
I had Silent Armour's on my Sierra 1/2 ton. Performed will on pavement, but not so well off road. And I'm not talking 4x4, but easily driven logging roads. Blew one , nearly off the rim on Gold Cr FSR in Cranbrook " not a rough road"
Had two severe punctures on Van Isle Logging Roads.

spear
11-22-2011, 08:04 PM
I got the BFG's, pretty sure they have the best load rating out of those choices.

WaderGator
11-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Slow learner? :D

All kidding aside, maybe you got a bad batch of the ATs? Mine have had great wear, good in mud and decent in the snow (before they got down to 50% anyway), no flats that I can recall. They're load range C with the snowflake.

Hahaha slow learner indeed. the only one I really had a choice on was my first set (radial T/A's). The rest came on cars/trucks I purchased with them already installed. All were in near new condition though. The one good thing I can say about the All Terrains is that the tread wear was really good...that is if you dont mind sliding around on all types of terrain hehe. Also keep in mind I had those tires on a Ford Ranger which is what this guy is driving. The same tires on a 1 ton might be awesome, who knows.

NorthShoreX
11-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Yes it really doesn't cost any more at all, since both sets will last twice as long if they're only on half the time.

My BFG ATs were passable in the snow when they were new, but once they wore down a bit I had to get some real snow tires. I'm using General Altimax Arctic studded and they seem pretty good.

NorthShoreX, what size of truck do you have? I'm curious that I get such great treadwear on my Ranger but others not so much. It seems like maybe the BFGs wear out quicker on heavier rigs?

Sorry to take so long to reply. I have a 2004 Nissan Xterra and the tires seem to wear quickly, but my truck is much heavier than stock, I've got lots of aftermarket add ons. My rear tires always wear out first.