PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Bison Advice??

moosinaround
11-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Anyone have any last minute Bison advice for 7-57 Zone B? I have talked to the Bison people on HBC, and I am armed with knowledge, and well wishes! Any weather reports from up North of Ft St John? Thanks again to all the folks who have helped me out! Here's hoping there's a Bison with my name on it up there!! Moosin

fireguy
11-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Have fun and take lots of pictures, I've done this once and hope to do it again but it is probably a once in a lifetime hunt in reality

.338 slayer
11-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Iam in pink mtn right now hunting for bison in A zone it's very cold -32 today not alot of movement for animals and only about 5" of snow so anyways best of luck

killman
11-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Just shoot it! :)

11-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Do not just gut it and leave it over night it WILL sour, you MUST remove the entire hide asap and I recommend once you start your field dressing keep going till it's done because it will set up FROZEN solid and you will be using an axe if you leave it over night. Be well prepared for spending the night in the bush if you go way back and it is a risky place to have to spend a night in the bush. 1 tag = 1 shooter and at least 1 but 2 helpers is best.

Good luck to you.

CT

partner
11-20-2011, 10:46 PM
I hope you are staying at the guides place. It is well worth the money! Pray for a big dump of snow to drive them off the mountain tops and into the valley bottom. Pray its been cold long enough to freeze the river crossings! Take both quads and snow machines! I doubt they have taken the vehicle restriction off the road in!

Caveman
11-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Do not just gut it and leave it over night it WILL sour, you MUST remove the entire hide asap and I recommend once you start your field dressing keep going till it's done because it will set up FROZEN solid and you will be using an axe if you leave it over night. Be well prepared for spending the night in the bush if you go way back and it is a risky place to have to spend a night in the bush. 1 tag = 1 shooter and at least 1 but 2 helpers is best.

Good luck to you.

CT

I have to disagree a bit here. When I shot mine, we field dressed it, skinned the fronts and separated the shoulders from the rib cage. We propped the ribcage and pelvis open, laid it out on it's back and it was just fine over night. Not quite as cold as it is right now, but it didn't freeze either overnight. Use your best judgement and you'll be fine. Good Luck Mike!

Buck
11-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Roll the hide into a ball otherwise you will be packing out a sheet of plywood.I would split it in half right away our 's went sour in a few spots this was Dec minus 30.Make sure your skidder is up to the task ours was not and it was a major pain repairing it every couple K.Our buff was 18 inches deep through the shoulders so something to cut through that.

moose2
11-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Look up I got one in the sub-alpine on the open faces about 20 min in from the parking lot. I skinned and halved it and we pulled it down the hill on tarps the next morning. It was a bit of work but we were done in a day and some other guys hadn't seen any in a week. Good luck and I am looking forward to the pictures.
Mike

moosinaround
11-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks folks, I am leavimg in a couple hrs. Heading in to see if we can find one. Rolling the hide up right away is a good idea! I was planning on skinning and quartering it right away, gonna quarter it like I was de boning it, and try to leave the ribs and spine in the woods if I can. See you all when we get back!! Moosin

Caveman
11-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Good thought Mike. I left the ribcage behind as well. Stripped if all the goodies. The rib cage is massive. Love to have ribs but easier ways to get them

Philcott
11-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Have a great trip, Mike. Hope you get one with no hassles.

Post pics and story what ever the outcome. We can all learn from it.

11-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Bring the hide out all in one piece and get it done into a rug, they are incredibly soft, make an awesome comforter or throw over a couch .

Not cheap to have done though.

Good luck, fantastic eating critter too.

CT