PDA

View Full Version : Hand Held Radios

PointMan
11-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Anyone have any experience with these? Not a huge fan of buying things from Canadian Tire, but if the price is low and the quality decent, why not?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444333 1736&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574489841747&bmUID=1321842215908

huntcoop
11-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Can't go wrong with Motorola but you'll never get 56 k's out of them. We bought Midland radio's from Cabelas in the US, 5 watts of power, great radios.

http://www.midlandradio.com/Mossy-Oak-Camo-Products.PKX/GXT1050VP4

PointMan
11-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Those look good too. I knew 56K was a bit of a stretch, to say the least, any idea on a more realistic range? What do you get out of yours?

BearStump
11-20-2011, 09:17 PM
these things frustrate the hell out of me. I've bought 3 diffrent pairs over the last 5 years. every time I spend more money and end up with the same crap. says "40 km range" yah right, maybe 4 km in a straight line of sight. I still haven't found a radio set that will work in bc's mountains. but then again I haven't spent 1000 bucks either.

Whonnock Boy
11-20-2011, 09:30 PM
but if the price is low and the quality decent?

Almost every product sold at Canadian Tire goes on sale once a year. Wait and it will happen. Maybe even ask one of the employees to check on the computer to see when it was last on sale and for what price. It will happen at about the same time. You could also search on the web for a better price.

landphil
11-20-2011, 09:37 PM
A note on these - channels 1 through 7 are hi power channels, while 8 and up are low power. Switch through the channels and watch the bars around the "antenna" on the screen change. Before I knew this, I was (barely) able to have a conversation on low power about 8Km away, almost line of site with my 45?Km version of these. No real world test on hi power channels yet, but they still won't perform like a VHF.

11-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Costco has the motorola ones on sale for $65 but you will have to settle for black, I was told before that the US radios have a higher power than Canadian radios are allowed(not sure if it's BS or not).

wlbc
11-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Can't go wrong with Motorola but you'll never get 56 k's out of them. We bought Midland radio's from Cabelas in the US, 5 watts of power, great radios.

I bought a set of these Midlands a couple of years ago from Cabelas. They significantly outperform the ones with lower watt output.

scoutlt1
11-20-2011, 10:10 PM
The km "range" is a strange thing. A few years ago i was hunting near the Summerland Road. Couldn't communicate with my buddy less than 2 kms away (separated by flat ground and nothing that should "block" a signal), yet all of a sudden I was receiving (and talking to) a guy on the connector?!?! weird...
I suggest get the "best" you can afford, preferably on sale, and use them realizing that the best you will ever get is a few miles...

PointMan
11-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Almost every product sold at Canadian Tire goes on sale once a year. Wait and it will happen. Maybe even ask one of the employees to check on the computer to see when it was last on sale and for what price. It will happen at about the same time. You could also search on the web for a better price.

They're on for almost half price right now, that's what got me interested. Of course, the Vernon store only had 3 sets, sold them all the first day, no more forthcoming. I'll make the trip to Kelowna if I think they're worth it.

Mountaintop
11-20-2011, 11:29 PM
There are all sorts of FRS / GMRS radios on the market now and many places carry them. The better ones start at about the price shown and more bells and whistles such as the weather channels and flashlight will raise the price. I think the advertised price is pretty good for that model. The transmit power is limited by law so they are all about the same that way. The big differences are really in the receive side. More sensitive receiver costs a bit more. I think that channels 1-14 are the old Family Service Radio (FRS) and are limited to low power while 15 and above are GMRS and have a higher output power.

Motorola is generally a good piece of equipment and I have a different model I am happy with. One thing to look for is if the rechargeable battery can be removed and you can use AA alkalines. There is nothing worse than being out someplace and your batteries die with no place to charge. If you can remove the rechargables and put in the AA’s you are good to go again. The range you get depends on the terrain.

Ioneth
11-21-2011, 12:45 AM

You can only use up to 2 watt radios in Canada with out a license

The km "range" is a strange thing. A few years ago i was hunting near the Summerland Road. Couldn't communicate with my buddy less than 2 kms away (separated by flat ground and nothing that should "block" a signal), yet all of a sudden I was receiving (and talking to) a guy on the connector?!?! weird...
I suggest get the "best" you can afford, preferably on sale, and use them realizing that the best you will ever get is a few miles...

Radios are weird things at times. There have been times when I worked on a tug where my radio couldn't pick up the captain but he could pick me up. (both using handheld Marine VHFs

Singleshotneeded
11-21-2011, 01:20 AM
Pointman, GMRS radios in the bush are basically good for one km per watt. All you can buy in Canada is two watt radios.
I ordered my five watt Midlands at Radio Shack in Lynden, and went to pick them up. Cabelas sells them but at least until recently
wouldn't ship to Canada. I'd get 5 watters from the States if you want something useful, of course they're not nearly as good
as UHF radios, but those are more money.

Wild Images
11-21-2011, 07:33 AM
We just finished a hunt with the exact radios that you showed from C Tire, they are crap and almost got used as targets to check rifles
Spend the money for a good set the first time or you will be spending it twice !

Gun Dog
11-21-2011, 10:31 AM
I've had radios fade in cold weather. They might work fine indoors or in the summer but put them in a freezer for a few hours and you get nothing. When you buy new radios it's worth checking while you can still return them. It's usually bad components and not design. This happens to commercial gear too and it's rated to -40C.

Ronforca
11-21-2011, 11:36 AM
I have the Motorolas that you mentioned.They are about as good as you can get in Canada.I also have a Rino 530 which has 5 watts transmit and a built in Garmin gps.with some fine features.I bought them new on E-Bay.They are a bit pricy.I do not think that anybody will bother you with the 5 watt models.As I am not as young as I used to be I like the feature that tells any other person with a similar radio exactly where I am in case of trouble.My wife and I each have one and we can find each other in the bush any time in case of trouble.

Everett
11-21-2011, 08:15 PM
All Canadain sold handhelds are 2 watts same power does not matter what they claim you can get 5watt ones in the US but without a license they are illegal in Canada. Cabelas will not ship 5 watt models to Canada.

Phil
11-21-2011, 09:00 PM
I've got the same unit in black. As others have said, they range is dependant on the terrain. At times they work surprisingly well, while at other times I have come close to tossing it in the bush out of frustration. If I had to do it over I would by a more powerful set in te U.S. .

lockmancpl
11-21-2011, 09:40 PM
I bought these last time they were on sale and have not been disappointed with their performace. Not had to use more than a few KM apart yet though. Far more features and options than I would ever use or even want. Only concern is one of the pair's rechargeable battery comes off FULL faster than the other. Not been an issue yet as we get a full weekend of hunting on one charge. We do turn them off when everyone is back to camp and at night though. I bought them because of the price and the ability to change over to standard AA batteries if required. If you can afford, or need higher performance there are probaly better units out there.

BearStump
11-22-2011, 09:26 AM
All Canadain sold handhelds are 2 watts same power does not matter what they claim you can get 5watt ones in the US but without a license they are illegal in Canada. Cabelas will not ship 5 watt models to Canada.

Just curious but what are potential repercussions if "busted" with illegal radios? Would or could this even happen? is a CO gonna test your radio for wattage output? Anyone know the reasoning behind a law like this?

BernDawg
11-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Just curious but what are potential repercussions if "busted" with illegal radios? Would or could this even happen? is a CO gonna test your radio for wattage output? Anyone know the reasoning behind a law like this?

I would be very surprised if a CO checked your radios. They have bigger things to worry about in the bush. Now, if your kids were running around the neighbourhood using the 5 watters and screwing up peoples TV reception (or something similar) then, maybe, the CRTC would get involved and try to track them down.

wlbc
11-22-2011, 01:21 PM

I bought mine at the Cabelas in Lacey Washington.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Two-Way-Radios%7C/pc/104791680/c/104785380/Midland-GXT-1050-VP4-Radio-Pack/731304.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2F_%2FN-1100169%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104791680&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104785380#BVRRWidg etID

5 watts, plenty of range. Ooops, guess I forgot to turn myself in at the border. :wink:

NorthShoreX
11-22-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm pretty sure CB radios are 4 Watt max. Not sure why FRS would be restricted to 2 Watts.

Everett
11-22-2011, 06:44 PM

I am sure there is horrible penalties but my personaly my personal safety comes before silly laws.

Gun Dog
11-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Just curious but what are potential repercussions if "busted" with illegal radios? Would or could this even happen? is a CO gonna test your radio for wattage output? Anyone know the reasoning behind a law like this?It's Industry Canada that regulates radios. In the USofA the FCC went with 5W and licenses. In Canada the government went with 2W and no license. Every frequency band has it's own rules.

BearStump
11-22-2011, 07:48 PM
It's Industry Canada that regulates radios. In the USofA the FCC went with 5W and licenses. In Canada the government went with 2W and no license. Every frequency band has it's own rules.

OK, I get that part, but why? Does a 5 watt radio screw up the secret govt. spy radios? or mess with emergency services or sometrhing?

Mountaintop
11-22-2011, 08:01 PM
I doubt it will mess anything up. Probably more to do with international treaties and agreements relating to that piece of spectrum

BearStump
11-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Ahh ok, so its a dumb law with no real reasoning, just like when I was a kid and my dad's reason was "cuz I said so!"

Mountaintop
11-22-2011, 08:57 PM
More like if you are gonna live in my house you follow my rules. I heard that more than once when I was a kid

PointMan
11-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I hadn't realized that in Canada you were limited to 3 watts less then US, LL Bean sells a nice set for $100.00, maybe I'll pick them up the next time I head state side.

mud-dog27
11-23-2011, 05:48 PM
as others have said dont expect that kind of range out of a GMRS or FRS radio when they measure that it is clear conditions on flats , if ya want that kind of range ya need a VHF....but thems is pricey and technically speaking you need a license.

and as other have said try getting some from the states as they are 5Watt which i believe is almost double what canadian radio are set at.

Singleshotneeded
11-23-2011, 06:15 PM
I've had my Midland 5 watt GMRS radios that I ordered and picked up from Radio Shack in Lynden, WA, for years, and
no one has ever asked about them. Lynden is close, and in the same building is the post office where I mailed the manual
and receipt to myself in Canada. Then I put "The Source" AA batteries in the radios(marked Canadian), rubbed a bit of dirt
on them, and tossed them in the glove box. Picked up milk, cheese, and gas to have something to declare at the border.

winchester284
11-23-2011, 06:50 PM
I've had my Midland 5 watt GMRS radios that I ordered and picked up from Radio Shack in Lynden, WA, for years, and
no one has ever asked about them. Lynden is close, and in the same building is the post office where I mailed the manual
and receipt to myself in Canada. Then I put "The Source" AA batteries in the radios(marked Canadian), rubbed a bit of dirt
on them, and tossed them in the glove box. Picked up milk, cheese, and gas to have something to declare at the border.

That's one of the best admissions of guilt I have ever read.... For future reference; you probably want to keep details like that to yourself.

Stresd
11-24-2011, 08:30 AM
if ya want that kind of range ya need a VHF....but thems is pricey and technically speaking you need a license.

and as other have said try getting some from the states as they are 5Watt which i believe is almost double what canadian radio are set at.

Why go to the States? Not pricey at all up here. Any Radio shop or Marine supply will sell you a 5 or 7 watt VHF handheld. Lots of models available for under $100 bucks and it is not illegal to buy or sell them.;) Check out place like Steveston Marine or Burnaby Radio etc.

mud-dog27
11-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Why go to the States? Not pricey at all up here. Any Radio shop or Marine supply will sell you a 5 or 7 watt VHF handheld. Lots of models available for under $100 bucks and it is not illegal to buy or sell them.;) Check out place like Steveston Marine or Burnaby Radio etc.

hes asking about GMRS radios that why i said go to the states, because our radios up here have roughly half the wattage of american radios therefore less range,GMRS/FRS are aslo significantly cheaper than VHF which are a higher wattage and a different frequency and although you dont need a licence to buy a VHF like i said technically speaking you are required to have a license/callsign to operate one, and any VHF under a $100 is unlikely to be a user programmable unit, it will more likely be a unit that you must pay(not cheap) to have a few channels programmed into and then you are restricted to those channels and must have a radio that is tuned to the same channel frequency as yours in order to communicate.

actually now that i think of it id like to see these under a $100 VHFs cause even the cheaper ones ive seen/looked at are over $200 and still not user programable, so for the time being im calling BS on that claim of plenty of VHFs under $100

KevinB
11-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Hey Pointman, the things I'd look for in a FRS radio would be:

-ability to turn off the "roger beep", which is the most stupid and annoying thing these radios all seem to do
-ability to mute the key beeps
-ability to have a vibrate call feature instead of the gawdawful call tones
-a key lock to keep you from accidentally changing channels
-ability to use sub-tones (I think most do now) to cut down on cross-chatter from other people
-a rotary volume dial to let you turn the thing down really low, just in case it comes to life just as you're putting the stalk on something
-use of AAA or AA type batteries so that when your batteries dies in the bush you can just pop some new ones in. If your radio uses common proprietary ones, you'll be stuck conversing with the tree next to you

Usually you'll have to email the manufacturer to find out some of this stuff for sure, as they don't always give you full specs on the website or on the packaging. I have a set of Cobra's that aren't made anymore, that have all of these features. I'd never part with them even though their power is limited. Just accept that FRS radios are generally good for a few miles at best and you'll be happy.

PointMan
11-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Hey Pointman, the things I'd look for in a FRS radio would be:

-ability to turn off the "roger beep", which is the most stupid and annoying thing these radios all seem to do
-ability to mute the key beeps
-ability to have a vibrate call feature instead of the gawdawful call tones
-a key lock to keep you from accidentally changing channels
-ability to use sub-tones (I think most do now) to cut down on cross-chatter from other people
-a rotary volume dial to let you turn the thing down really low, just in case it comes to life just as you're putting the stalk on something
-use of AAA or AA type batteries so that when your batteries dies in the bush you can just pop some new ones in. If your radio uses common proprietary ones, you'll be stuck conversing with the tree next to you

Usually you'll have to email the manufacturer to find out some of this stuff for sure, as they don't always give you full specs on the website or on the packaging. I have a set of Cobra's that aren't made anymore, that have all of these features. I'd never part with them even though their power is limited. Just accept that FRS radios are generally good for a few miles at best and you'll be happy.

Thanks for the tips, all of you, I'll be doing more research before I make the purchase. I head to the States pretty much every summer, I'll probably end up grabbing something there on the next trip.

leobing
11-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Radios for hunting have very poor range. It is really line of sight. If you have anything in your line of sight such as hills or very heavy trees, you will not have any luck. Those little radios sold at Canuck tire and else where will not do you much good. Very low power and they are up in the UHF frequencies and so less range than VHF. Your best bet is to go to your local Ham Club and get help passing your HAM RADIO Ticket.
Then you can use the Hams mountain top repeaters and have some real range. Some high up repeaters will allow you to see ranges in the neighbourhood of 150 miles.
I have been a ham in Kelowna for a long time and have used our repeaters for keeping in contact with hunting friends. Really good as a safety help. Get lost, hurt, or stuck and you will wonder why you didn't do this earlier.

Weatherby Fan
11-29-2011, 08:44 AM
I use Icom M34 VHF they are waterproof and float,a little more money but well worth it and have a decent range,with any radio range will very with wattage output,line of sight and weather conditions,one thing if you buy some handheld's make sure they have a squelch adjustment,some don't and this will drive you crazy listening that going on and off,as anything you usually get what you pay for when it comes to radios.
I don't think I would be to worried about being licenced for a handheld radio for recreational use,you may want to consider it if your mounting a Radio in your vehicle.

Singleshotneeded
11-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Winchester 284, you reckon the dream police are hacking the identities of folks on this sight that admit to
the heinous crime of picking up a couple of radios and being quiet about it? Lol...:-)

rifleman
11-30-2011, 03:20 PM
I have the Motorolas that you mentioned.They are about as good as you can get in Canada.I also have a Rino 530 which has 5 watts transmit and a built in Garmin gps.with some fine features.I bought them new on E-Bay.They are a bit pricy.I do not think that anybody will bother you with the 5 watt models.As I am not as young as I used to be I like the feature that tells any other person with a similar radio exactly where I am in case of trouble.My wife and I each have one and we can find each other in the bush any time in case of trouble.
What is the brand you bought & what is a reasonable price for them? I think this is the way I want to go for next year.
Thanx

11-30-2011, 04:18 PM
My buddy (haven't seen in a while) was using a 5 W radio while ATVing back in 2003. Three weeks later the RCMP knocked on his door and hauled him away. He spent 3 years in prison and had to pay $50,000 in penalties.

I just fabricated all the stuff above.....but it does look like you can be fined $5000 for using restricted radios. That would suck, but not as bad as prison, with all the crappy food and rape and stuff.

CanuckShooter
12-01-2011, 08:02 AM
What is the brand you bought & what is a reasonable price for them? I think this is the way I want to go for next year.
Thanx

Why not just pick up a used set of radios and try them out? I have an old set that just sits there because we bought vhf radios.