PDA

View Full Version : Coyote and wolf hunting kamloops

Grousedaddy
11-20-2011, 01:21 PM
So ive never even tried to hunt either of these guys but i know they are around kamloops. Can you guys plz provide as many tips and methods to hunt these guys as you can as i dont even know where to start and am deff not ready to try this without some research thanks in advance GD

keithb7
11-20-2011, 04:48 PM
They are out there. I recommend walking some cut blocks. You'll see tracks. I spotted a coyote yesterday and called him in with a Raspy Coaxer caller. Picked mine up at Wholesale Sports for about $12.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Primos-Raspy-Coaxer-Call/productDetail/Predator-Calls/prod9999000561/cat100399

I don't know about wolves but I can speak of my recent coyote experience.
I spotted a coyote trough my binoculars from about 200 yards away. I was not spotted. I quickly dove in the snow filled ditch among the weeds and brush. Called for about 1 minute and the coyote popped his head around corner on the edge of a road. I saw his face and ears through my scope. About 20 yards out he was glaring in my direction. I should have called him again to lure him closer. However I figured if I moved he'd spot me and run. I was in snow camo. I got excited and pulled the trigger instead, at a small target, his head. I missed. It was exciting to call him in, especially in my first ever attempt.
I have yet to try an electronic caller but I have heard of very good results. My understanding is you need good camo, very little to no movement, and be ready. The come in fast and are extremely smart and cautious creatures.

Wolves? I expect the tactics to be similar. There are many Utube videos. Watch and you'll pick up a few things. I am of the belief, I may be corrected, that the wolves can quickly devastate the deer population. My initial thoughts are blast all you can find. I would like to see the deer population continue thriving. No?

MuleyMadness
11-20-2011, 05:26 PM
I have yet to try an electronic caller but I have heard of very good results.

The Foxpro Fury works unlike anything I have ever, and I mean EVER seen. Basically if it eats meat (I'm exaggerating obviously, but there are tons) the Foxpro has a call, and all of the ones we have tried have worked like a hot damn. That being said, it is very expensive, so you might want to try out some other types of calls first to see how the work for you. A good varmint rifle or .243 is a must as well...it's a small target to be shooting at from a couple hundred meters out, and 3/4MOA or better is really about my upper limit for accuracy.

meat eater
11-20-2011, 05:33 PM
i got a primos rabbit call an it work's great!!

Lillypuff
11-20-2011, 05:34 PM
i don,t know how you would hunt them but I have heard them up the Lac Du Bois road (sorry for spelling) numerous times and there always seems to be fresh tracks

Jagermeister
11-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Hunting wolves in close quarters (i.e. heavily forested or bush) in not going to happen unless you are near a very recent kill site and you have the patience to wait for them. They are very sensitive to human odor so you do not want to walk over their trails and you do not want to approach their kill either. Watch for ravens circling as this could be an indicator of a kill. Road hunting is hard unless you have unlimited visibility, but most times, by the time you get out and a rifle up on them, they will have booked it to the next drainage. With high population densities, it may become easier to get a chance to shoot them. But let this not discourage, get out and try your hand. The more hunters targeting wolves, the better it will be for the moose, deer, elk caribou, sheep and goats.
The biologist today said that the wolves were also targeting goats, but then too, he said that wolverines were too.

LYKTOHUNT
11-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Try up the saw mill creek rd about the 27 km mark on the right go in past where someone has had a camp on the landing, there was a couple of big fir fire wood rounds cut up in that landing , stay on the low road and almost at the very end is a road on the right that looks like it may have been a winter road very grassy and rocky, you cant drive a truck in. I walked in about a kilometer and found where the ravens were working what I thought was a hunter kill but it was a wolf kill. Lets just say I had a very entertaing experience with wolves in there.
Cant say if they will still be there but certainly a place to start.

Caveman
11-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Try up the saw mill creek rd about the 27 km mark on the right go in past where someone has had a camp on the landing, there was a couple of big fir fire wood rounds cut up in that landing , stay on the low road and almost at the very end is a road on the right that looks like it may have been a winter road very grassy and rocky, you cant drive a truck in. I walked in about a kilometer and found where the ravens were working what I thought was a hunter kill but it was a wolf kill. Lets just say I had a very entertaing experience with wolves in there.
Cant say if they will still be there but certainly a place to start.

Sounds like there might be a story we want to hear! ;)

masoncade1992
11-21-2011, 12:06 PM
i have been wanting to start hunting wolve sin revelstoke. WAY to many of them. they are killing all the cariboo. do you know if there is a bounty?

skibum
11-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Doe bleap can brought a stupid yote within 10 yards while I was still hunting. - didn't want to waste a hunt on a yote

Wolf is the top of my list to bag - just the time investment is pretty high