PDA

View Full Version : Duck ID

Foxton Gundogs
11-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Hey guys I've been a waterfowler for a whole lot of years and dont ever remember seeing these before. We were on the marsh yesterday nothing flying, time to move to the salt. But a flock of ducks came in and landed in the open water about 150 yds out. They were all black with a small white throat patch. Not enuff white for Goldeneye or Buffel eads and bigger. There were about 20 in the bunch so not a weird hybred Im thinking. Some forieghners blown off course? 3 of us in the blind and no one remembered seeing their kind before. And no we werent drinking to stay warm lol. any thoughts?

slyfox
11-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Maybe blues

Crazy_Farmer
11-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Well black with a white throat patch and bigger sounds like brant to me.

Black and white also surf scoters. How big we talking?

Foxton Gundogs
11-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Well black with a white throat patch and bigger sounds like brant to me.

Black and white also surf scoters. How big we talking?

Yah Ive seen lots of brant close up and deffinately not a brant I was also thinking some kind of a scooter but when I looked at pix of scoots I have taken in the past they are wrong, there to about 1/2 way between a widgeon and mallard in size. Apparently theres something called a tufted duck that nest in southern eur/asia but can be found here in the winter. Never seen 1 but my nephew says he has read about them.

lorneparker1
11-20-2011, 01:56 PM
old squaw?

Foxton Gundogs
11-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Definately not a Squaw Lorne really puzzeling lol

Gunner
11-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Tufted ducks look about the same as a bluebill(scaup),with a crest so I doubt that's what it was.I've seen Tufted ducks both at Reifel Reserve and at Stanley Park,wintering with Lesser Scaups. Gunner

field marshal
11-20-2011, 05:31 PM
What about hen Harley's-----Field Marshal

Foxton Gundogs
11-20-2011, 06:10 PM
What about hen Harley's-----Field Marshal

Don't think so the whole flock was black or at least very dark with a white splash about the size of a large coffee cup top on throat and uper chest very puzzeling indeed. Went back this afternoon in hopes of potting 1 for a closed look but nowhere to be seen today if there hadnt been to others with me I'd be questioning my eyesite.

chojas
11-22-2011, 11:18 AM
They could have been Northern Pintails, the drakes are fairly dark, and have a white on the chest and neck. I saw a whole bunch of them Saturday out at the marsh, and managed to get 4.

Foxton Gundogs
11-22-2011, 02:28 PM
They could have been Northern Pintails, the drakes are fairly dark, and have a white on the chest and neck. I saw a whole bunch of them Saturday out at the marsh, and managed to get 4.

Again I've seen lots of pins both on the wing and up close not even close. Been back to the marsh twice since then and not seen them again. Maybe it was something in the coffee. LOL

shotgunjohn
11-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Google Duclair ducks. A french domestic breed that sounds like what you saw.

Foxton Gundogs
11-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Just did SJ THANKS, maybe I'm not going bonkers, from what I could tell,
that is exactly what they looked like go figure. Still havent seen them again.
http://moineaudeparis.com/oiseaux/palmipedes/canard-colvert/Duclair_2054.jpg
http://www.duckpictures.org/Duclair-Duck.jpg

12-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Black Mallard ..... Drake Version, any hen pic's ?

CT

Foxton Gundogs
12-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Black Mallard ..... Drake Version, any hen pic's ?

CT

As Shotgun John says they are a Duclair French domestic duck they are all the same coloring. Apparently some farmer near the marsh never heard of clipwings lol, they do look like they are in the mallard family tho seen them that 1 day and never again. may investigate on the off season and see if I can find where they come from.