PDA

View Full Version : quesnel boys?? hunted quesnel river....

lightmag
11-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Hey curious, i was hunting a 1000 acres of private property a long the quesnel river for Whitey's and scouting mulie's for next weekend.

I saw lots of mule does/fawns, singles, groups of 6, 9 , but not ONE buck?? and no big buck tracks anywhere yet the new snow that fell thursday night was littered with tracks friday am?? Should the Mule deer rut not be going hard now?? i saw one fresh , little rub with med tracks?? and i walked and quadded everywhere from top of the power lines to the river sbottome, in the furs, populars, ????? where are th ebig bucks???

and to top that off not one white tail was spotted of either sex????

smoked a nice yote at 200 yards though :mrgreen:

Benthos
11-19-2011, 09:24 AM
mule deer bucks are going hard right now. buck i shot last weekend had is antler's full of tree from all the rubbing he was doing, and several bucks were entertaining groups of ladies.

lightmag
11-19-2011, 09:43 AM
mule deer bucks are going hard right now. buck i shot last weekend had is antler's full of tree from all the rubbing he was doing, and several bucks were entertaining groups of ladies.

as i thought but my observations did not support that ?

Benthos
11-19-2011, 10:17 AM
last weekend the dink bucks were out with the ladies, we had to push the timber to get the big bucks to move with their ladies.

BCrams
11-19-2011, 11:27 AM
The area you're hunting .... most likely accomodates migratory bucks if its fields down lower along the river ... they're still way up the Quesnel River way towards Likely. Be patient ... big bucks will show up before seasons out.

lightmag
11-19-2011, 03:29 PM
The area you're hunting .... most likely accomodates migratory bucks if its fields down lower along the river ... they're still way up the Quesnel River way towards Likely. Be patient ... big bucks will show up before seasons out.

yup the canyon, i was thinking along those lines as well, next weekend , last week should be good, especially if it snows more driving them down.

Jagermeister
11-19-2011, 04:10 PM
"1000 acres of private property"? I would like to know who there has a 1000 acres of deeded private property?
Don't know how much snow has fallen in the Swift River area, but if there is not too much, you best head up toward Nyland Lake.
The big bucks will not vacate that area until they are belly deep in the white stuff.
I am of the opinion that the deer that come into that area are migratory from the hills and mountains on the north end of Bowron Lake. I have seen the deer tracks as they pass through Stanley just after the Bowron gets a big dump of snow. It is a regular highway as evidenced by the copious quantities of deer tracks heading toward the Swift River area.
Similar migration events happen from the Nazko and the Taseko/Chilko Lakes as the deer migrate toward the Fraser River. There is another one that comes from the area south of Quesnel Lake, Horsefly Lake and the areas to the south and these migrate toward the Knife Creek area. And once upon a time there was a large mule deer migration from the Monashees, when the snow depths increased, pushing them down into the Christian Valley.
Anyhow, go back up toward Nyland Lake. If you aren't pushing snow up to your gunnies, you are not going to find those big bucks. Hey, and shoot every wolf you can get the bead on.

JoshCampbell
11-19-2011, 10:54 PM
I have found big mulies come down to the river around the 19th or within a day or 2 from that. R those fields by gravel Ferry bridge?

KB90
11-19-2011, 11:08 PM
He's hunting my uncles farm Jaegermeister, quesnel canyon down past ranger ballpark.

Jagermeister
11-19-2011, 11:19 PM
He's hunting my uncles farm Jaegermeister, quesnel canyon down past ranger ballpark.Okay, got that Kyle. Thought he was talking further up above the canyon.
After speaking with my son tonight about the meeting in Quesnel Thursday evening, it is for sure a no go on the GOS for moose. There are several reasons, but the most paramount one is the large number of predators ranging through the Quesnel Highlands as well as the rest of that region as well.
With this in mind Lightmag, you may have a better chance of seeing a wolf than a deer. Make sure you help the deer out if that opportunity should present itself.

LYKTOHUNT
11-20-2011, 08:01 AM
6 or seven years ago it might have been a good idea to head up around Nyland Lake area, but in my opinion if you think you frustrated by the lack of sign where you have been hunting, well you will reach new highs of frustation up there now,there is little to no deer sign up there, but as others have said you will see lots of wolf tracks.
Yesterday south of Quesnel near the highway while scouting for some deer for next week,I also think we will have our work cut out for us as there was wolf sign down there as well