PDA

View Full Version : Tunkwa Lake

Deeboe
11-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Been tossing the idea of a short deer hunting trip around. I don't have a wall tent so would prefer to stay in a cabin. Anyone ever rented a cabin at tunkwa lake? If so, what were the amenities like and any tips on the surrounding area to hunt? Obviously i don't expect anyone to give up too many juicy details lol, but any info would be appreciatively welcomed! Thanks in advance, and good luck to all those late fall deer hunters!!

BillBraskii
11-18-2011, 01:40 PM
no deer around
hunters and quads and trucks at every turn!!!
good luck!!

swampdonkey
11-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Great place to stay deer are around just have to put on some miles im sure they could put you in the right direction good luck

gutpile
11-18-2011, 02:19 PM
I was there a few a days ago i don't know the area, and did not see much sign.

biggamehntr
11-18-2011, 02:21 PM
I stayed at tunkwa lake lodge or resort whatever you want to call it, I went with 3 buddies and we stayed at the cheapest of the cabins, suited us fine, wasnt the ritz but had a wood burning stove to keep ya warm and lights and there was a shower house a short walk away. I'll probably stay tghere again, but I was ice fishing. Not sure how the hunting would be.

specbelly
11-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Tunkwa is good, cabins are fine for hunting. The powerline right near the lodge holds plenty of WTs, just have to go into the bush a bit on the cattle trails and you'll find them

Looking_4_Jerky
11-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Top notch place to stay. As a local, I don't stay there much, but I have in the past and thought that those guys are keen and will do what they can to help guests with their hunting and fishing.

Used to hunt there a reasonable amount and there are great areas. How things are in that neck of the woods these days I 'm not sure, but you can be assured that with some work you'll find deer. I've heard it's busier than usual these days. Regardless of traffic, you know the deer will be around, it's just a matter of being resourceful and adaptive. Good luck if you go.

Deeboe
11-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks to all for the info/tips. Much appreciated! Cheers!

blindcast
11-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Tunkwa cabins are great value for a hunt. Wood stove for heat, electric range for cooking and a small fridge. You bring your own sleeping bag. No running water, you fill up a five gallon tank in the shower house and lug it back to the cabin for cooking and coffee. Been going there for three years now and love it. Al and Richard are super helpful, friendly and accommodating. Plenty of mulies in the area but your chances of cutting a tag go up remarkably if you get out of the truck and poke through the bush, road hunting isn't the most effective tactic. Guichon Creek Road is worth exploring for mule deer, lowlands around Tunkwa and Leighton Lakes have whitetails.

finngun
11-21-2011, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=BillBraskii;1021025]no deer around
hunters and quads and trucks at every turn!!!
good luck!!
most deer are behind --no hunting-trespassing- signs -- what most signs are just keep hunters away....some signs are goverm. land..just figure out
somebody did.. and deer was dead..wah-wah..

Deeboe
11-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks again guys. Good to know there are good people out there who don't mind helping a fellow hunter out. It will go around I'm sure :)
And Blindcast, I much prefer to hike so If i go, I'll be spending lots of time in the timber. Cheers Fellas!

blindcast
11-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Good luck to you. Maybe bump into you up there next fall.

cameron0518
11-22-2011, 01:13 AM
Just got back from Tunkwa. Rut is on boys!! Saw lots of whities and even more mulies. No big bucks to take home but saw one that would have gone on the wall if he stuck around. Good luck and i wish i had more time to go back. Next year i guess.