PDA

View Full Version : okangan valley

Andrews
11-18-2011, 12:40 PM
meeting my cousin in Kelowna - anyone been up the south slopes lately - ie with all of this snow, will we be able to get access in a 4wd SUV?

thanks

goatdancer
11-18-2011, 01:08 PM
At least 8 inches down in the valley in the last 2 days so there's probably quite a bit more up higher.

coach
11-18-2011, 01:21 PM
8 inches? I'm looking at three on my deck. That's not to say there isn't a significant amount more higher up. There should still be lots of access to hunting areas, if that's what the original question was regarding. It's a good time to make sure you have proper tires, chains, shovel, chainsaw, etc.

iwing
11-18-2011, 01:33 PM
I was at 1400 meters yesterday and had zero problems, but I have decent tires

igojuone
11-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Where exactly is the south slopes? I was up Greystokes FSR last week, probably 6 inches then. I would guess most places above 1000 metres going to have at least 6-10 inches by now.

doubled
11-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Just got back from Peachland and there was 8 inches up top. My house in Glen Rosa has about 6 inches.

Wrayzer
11-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Was just up the south hills of Kelowna, guys chaining up at the bottom, had about 8-9", I was fine in my 33" All Terrains.
Not a whole lot of deer moving in there, which is strange for this time of year. Migration is a little late.

358mag
11-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Was just up the south hills of Kelowna, guys chaining up at the bottom, had about 8-9", I was fine in my 33" All Terrains.
Not a whole lot of deer moving in there, which is strange for this time of year. Migration is a little late.
Migration is like the rut it happens the same time every year

J-varnsy
11-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Make sure you have decent winter tires. The Roads were snowy and icy last weekend so I'm sure that they will be even worse tomorrow morning. There isn't much to drive though if you're hunting whitetails anyways. Better off in the christian valley.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-18-2011, 09:17 PM
4wd with winter dedicated tires should be no problem, subject to change ....

goatdancer
11-18-2011, 09:27 PM
8 inches? I'm looking at three on my deck. That's not to say there isn't a significant amount more higher up. There should still be lots of access to hunting areas, if that's what the original question was regarding. It's a good time to make sure you have proper tires, chains, shovel, chainsaw, etc.

I got at least 4" yesterday and the same today. The same elevation as Crawford Estates.

Fisher-Dude
11-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Buddy says a few of his stray cattle came down through 2 feet + of snow on the Westside the other day.

Could be tough sluggin' once you gain a bit of elevation.

doubled
11-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Buddy says a few of his stray cattle came down through 2 feet + of snow on the Westside the other day.

Could be tough sluggin' once you gain a bit of elevation.

2 feet???? Where is that? Nothing close to that anywhere around here.

DR800
11-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Just measured 14 inches of snow on the hood of my Jeep up the Goudie area.

deadfall
11-19-2011, 02:38 AM
Migration is like the rut it happens the same time every year

Not true, both migration AND rut are kicked on by hours of light but ive found mainly, temperature and also percipitation is playing a huge roll this year. Snow is heavy and lots of cold snaps.The grounds my dad hunted 20 years ago and the same land i hunt today, they usually moved down for rut around the same two weeks every year. But this year they are where they are in mid december right now. There moving low and fast.

Fisher-Dude
11-19-2011, 08:22 AM
2 feet???? Where is that? Nothing close to that anywhere around here.

Probably the top end of Whiterocks, which is the highest point in his lease. Quite a snow-belt up there.

adamgarbett
11-19-2011, 09:34 AM
ive got a good 9'' on my deck this morning in west kelowna

knockturnal
11-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Probably the top end of Whiterocks, which is the highest point in his lease. Quite a snow-belt up there.

I talked to them yesterday. Still trying to get the cows out. They were over on the Dome road a few days ago. Managed to push them over onto the top of whiterocks. My fiancé shot a moose up there yesterday. If it wasent for them, we would have had a hell of a time loading it in the back of my truck. And yes. There's a shit ton of snow up there. I'm 6'3" and it was up to my knees in some spots.

Fisher-Dude
11-19-2011, 10:08 AM
I talked to them yesterday. Still trying to get the cows out. They were over on the Dome road a few days ago. Managed to push them over onto the top of whiterocks. My fiancé shot a moose up there yesterday. If it wasent for them, we would have had a hell of a time loading it in the back of my truck. And yes. There's a shit ton of snow up there. I'm 6'3" and it was up to my knees in some spots.

Brian has great timing! He showed up right after I shot a fat buck 2 years ago and helped me drag and load it. Great folks for sure!

Congrats on the moose!

knockturnal
11-19-2011, 10:14 AM
This picture was takin right on bear main at the bottom of the whiterocks road. There's 12-14" there and it only gets worse up higher. Although, if it wasent for the snow, I wouldn't have been able to drag the moose whole to my truck for 7-8 km. haha.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/knockturnal/7cedd493.jpg

coach
11-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Brian has great timing! He showed up right after I shot a fat buck 2 years ago and helped me drag and load it. Great folks for sure!

Congrats on the moose!

Yup - very good guy. I ran into him a few years ago. He was looking for his stray cattle and I was looking for a moose. I got his cell number so I could call him if I ran into his herd. A couple weeks ago, a friend found 6 of his and another 10 Douglas lake cattle in 3-12. I made a call and he was out there the next day to round them up. He called me back with an update and a thank you.

coach
11-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Congrats on the moose, Knockturnal. Should be some good eating there.

dave_fras
11-19-2011, 12:11 PM
u guys talking about brian casorso?

Fisher-Dude
11-19-2011, 04:43 PM
u guys talking about brian casorso?

Yep, that would be him.

dave_fras
11-19-2011, 05:32 PM
ya brian is a really good guy! hes good friends with my uncle

OutWest
11-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Not true, both migration AND rut are kicked on by hours of light but ive found mainly, temperature and also percipitation is playing a huge roll this year. Snow is heavy and lots of cold snaps.The grounds my dad hunted 20 years ago and the same land i hunt today, they usually moved down for rut around the same two weeks every year. But this year they are where they are in mid december right now. There moving low and fast.

Ah the old myth about the timing of the rut...By the way, when did the amount of hours of daylight begin changing from year to year?

GoatGuy
11-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Didn't make it up to where we wanted to check on a quad last night. Never seen that much snow in that spot at this time of year in 20 years.

Gunner Staal
11-20-2011, 12:48 AM
My bow spot is full full full of deer right now which is generally a late season hole. 800 pics and 100 pounds of feed gone this week alone. Cant wait for Friday! The snow is a blessing for those who fling sticks.