PDA

View Full Version : Deer Fat...Whats the deal.

tightgrouper
11-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Throw it out or include it in grinding when making burger sausage etc?

jeff
11-17-2011, 10:13 PM
throw it out ..my opinion

Shooter
11-17-2011, 10:14 PM
THROW IT ALL OUT!!! That way you will NEVER get a rangy gamey tasting deer.

Shooter
11-17-2011, 10:15 PM
If you want to ad some fat ad some pork fat.

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Trim all the outside deer fat off ,if you need some fat mix in some pork or fatty ground beef.

coach
11-17-2011, 10:16 PM
X2. Deer fat is where the gamey flavor comes from. Trim as much as you can. The only bad burger I've had from a deer was a result of the butcher not following this process. I read on a different thread you are processing your own. Great idea - I do the same.

coach
11-17-2011, 10:17 PM
I use pork shoulder roast. 80% deer, 20% pork.

3kills
11-17-2011, 11:13 PM
deer fat also goes rancid way faster

cavebear
11-17-2011, 11:15 PM
there is a reason they charge more for lean, taste better and healthier in my opinion :)
Happy hunting

matt420
11-17-2011, 11:52 PM
i throw it all out

meathunter
11-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Cut it out!

Ken M
11-18-2011, 02:30 AM
About 20% pork fat is the way to go. Enjoy!!

peashooter
11-18-2011, 02:47 AM
I spread it on toast in the morning.

3kills
11-18-2011, 07:58 AM
My instructions to our butcher are to cut all visible fat from the deer. Deer fat has a very strong gamey taste even from the very young and honestly I’d have to be starving before I’d eat it. Even a very small amount will spoil the flavour of venison. For deer hamburger we used to have the butcher add pork fat but nowadays its beef fat. Better taste!
The best deer steak, roast that I’ve ever had was from a Swiss family in Pemberton. The deer was properly aged & all the fat was removed. The meals were something to die for!:-D

beef fat does have a better taste but it also go rancid faster then pork fat that is one of the reasons pork fat is used more so then beef fat. and deer dont have to be aged.

Mr. Dean
11-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Throw it out or include it in grinding when making burger sausage etc?

Be anal about picking through and trimming ALL of it out.
Then throw the shit away.

OOBuck
11-18-2011, 08:30 AM
MMMMmmmm Pork fat its like eating deer with bacon. MMmmmmm

horshur
11-18-2011, 08:42 AM
I always thought it was the fat but what really has come out to be is the quality of health of the animal...that it is fat and was not stressed and is not participating in the rut and along with that it is dressed and cooled quikly.
some of you guys who are cutting your own game should set aside a couple bone in with fat cuts on a young healthy animal to try just cause you might will be surprised where actualy the gamey taste originates.

If the deer doesn't stink the meat as well as the fat will be mild.

just my experience.

CanuckShooter
11-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Wild birds love the suet & fat trimmings....instead of throwing away you could feed the birds!!!

coach
11-18-2011, 09:11 AM
I always thought it was the fat but what really has come out to be is the quality of health of the animal...that it is fat and was not stressed and is not participating in the rut and along with that it is dressed and cooled quikly.
some of you guys who are cutting your own game should set aside a couple bone in with fat cuts on a young healthy animal to try just cause you might will be surprised where actualy the gamey taste originates.

If the deer doesn't stink the meat as well as the fat will be mild.

just my experience.

I have had that experience too, horshur. The issue with fat making an animal taste gamey involves time of year (rut) and length of time the animal hangs. If you hang your deer, the fat will go rancid fast and contribute to the gamey flavor. If you shoot a young, early season buck and butcher it right away, the fat can be ok. Based on the bad experience I had, I'd rather not take the chance.

The other point to note regarding pork fat: It's not pure pork fat that should be added. I buy a pork shoulder roast that has some fat on it and grind the whole thing up to add to the burger. Someone else may do this differently.

tightgrouper
11-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the input!!

carnivore
11-18-2011, 09:32 AM
I think it is the deer fat that tastes gamey. Years ago when Woodward's stores were around they sometimes sold range beef that came from thier Douglas lake Cattle Co. ( animals not sent to feed lot before butchering). I found the fat on this beef tasted gamey just like wild deer fat does. It seems being grain fed for a while mellows out the flavour of the fat.:):)

hunterdon
11-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Cut out/trim off as much fat as possible. Cut out all silver skin/ligaments also. (Found on large muscle groups). When making sausage you can use pork fat or better still, bear fat if available. When making other sausage like salami for example, you need a heavier more solid fat. I use beef fat in this case.

Bistchen
11-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Moose:

60% Moose & 40% medium or lean ground pork

Deer:

70% Deer & 30% medium or lean ground pork

That's how I usually prepare it. When i'm doing a slow cooked chili or bologanise I just keep it pure (no pork)

Again, don't be afraid to add a little more pork or fat. Most fat runs out whilst cooking. This is very true when a BBQ is being used.

I rather have a juicy ground meat, then dry game that hasnt had anything added to it.

skibum
11-18-2011, 10:40 AM
I think it is the deer fat that tastes gamey. Years ago when Woodward's stores were around they sometimes sold range beef that came from thier Douglas lake Cattle Co. ( animals not sent to feed lot before butchering). I found the fat on this beef tasted gamey just like wild deer fat does. It seems being grain fed for a while mellows out the flavour of the fat.:):)

They are having this problem with free range cattle. One thing they are trying is to take them to slaughter right off the teat in the fall instead of to market and feed lot. Apparently this helps with the gamie taste. Marketing it as healthly as salmon

ROEBUCK
11-18-2011, 11:26 AM
so whats the problem with your game meat tasting gamy ?
isnt that the whole point of eating wild meat ?
I dont want my game meat tasting like beef or lamb ! I want it to taste like game

3kills
11-18-2011, 11:55 AM
i personally dont add anything to my ground game meat i just clean it up and grind it up. but if i was goin to add anything it would be pork fat or beef fat not ground pork or beef cuz whats the point of havin game burger if ur mixin it with pork or beef unless ur makin sausages then yes mix it with pork shoulder

tightgrouper
11-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Am I correct in saying that a game taste is one thing but rutty is another?

skibum
11-18-2011, 12:27 PM
honestly, if you put my mulie from this year and some beef side by side after I have finished cooking it, it would be hard to tell which was which..... I am meticulous about cutting all the fat off my deer

Marlin375
11-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Use fresh pork butt, not previously frozen, the main reason both pork and beef trim go rancid in the freezer is it is being frozen for the second time.
I order fresh butts from Bonanza meats here in Ktown a couple of days before I make sausage.

deer nut
11-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Throw it out. Tastes like hell!

dime
11-18-2011, 03:46 PM
I dont want my game meat tasting like beef or lamb ! I want it to taste like game
I agree, I do not cut all the fat off, I like the taste of deer. If you don't like the taste of deer go buy a cow.

sawmill
11-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Melt down a candle.Now pop a big spoonfull in your mouth,add some ass flavour and start trying to scrape it off your tounge with a butter knife.

Don`t use deer fat unless you are trapped in the woods for several weeks.

chrisjohnny
11-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Actually... pork fat goes rancid much faster than beef fat, i always use beef fat in my burger and sausage and pork in the pepperoni, to each their own but pork definalty goes sour faster than any other meat

sawmill
11-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Actually... pork fat goes rancid much faster than beef fat, i always use beef fat in my burger and sausage and pork in the pepperoni, to each their own but pork definalty goes sour faster than any other meat

That is ecxacltly correct!Beef will last twice(almost) than pork before it starts to get stale.I used good clean beef fat last fall and it was excellent.

betteroffishing
11-18-2011, 05:22 PM
not to high jack the thread , but i will anyways , i tried renderring down the fat from this years bear , ran it through cheeseclot and cooled it in loaf pans , once set up i sliced it and wrapped each sl;ice in waxed paper ... resulting in the best lard ever , made an apple pie and a tourtier out of the pastry and both were fantastic , try it i bet youll love the results.

deer fat i throw away.

coach
11-18-2011, 05:37 PM
That is ecxacltly correct!Beef will last twice(almost) than pork before it starts to get stale.I used good clean beef fat last fall and it was excellent.

Would you use pure fat or just grind in a roast that has a lot of fat? I've been very happy with the pork shoulder in my burger but am always willing to try something different.

rocksteady
11-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Take all the deer fat, melt it in a big pot on a woodstove/BBQ/propane stove...Pour it into tinfoil bread pans, mixed with peanuts/sunflower seeds/etc and once cold, pop it out and feed the winter birds/squirrels etc.....They call it suet!!!

I watched a squirrel start at one end, sink his teeth in and then scrape his teeth all the way to the other end, in one smooth motion... This was on a acreage that we used to have friends on...

Not recommended for the city, specially if you have lots of cats in the hood !!!

eastkoot
11-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Would you use pure fat or just grind in a roast that has a lot of fat? I've been very happy with the pork shoulder in my burger but am always willing to try something different.

If you can get trim from prime rib (just the fat) use it as it renders when cooked in your burger giving flavour but not in small fat globs like fat from other beef parts...Or so my butcher says, and my burger tastes great..

Buck
11-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Guess i'm the only one that enjoys a little deer fat on a steak.Though it does not reheat well.

rocksteady
11-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Melt down a candle.Now pop a big spoonfull in your mouth,add some ass flavour and start trying to scrape it off your tounge with a butter knife.

Damn you are sure full of good advice Joe, no wonder TPB picked you as a mentor :)

Deer_Slayer
11-18-2011, 06:37 PM
It's not actually fat..it is tallow and it will ruin your meat...yuk I hate when it isn't cut off the meat..sticks to roof of the mouth

chrisjohnny
11-18-2011, 08:51 PM
just go to the local supermarket and ask the meat depatment for beef fat for using in deer burger and sausage and they will put you in the right direction, its next to free as far as cost goes

muledeercrazy
11-19-2011, 05:20 PM

I think it still tastes like deer without the fat. And if eating game meat is eating healthy, doesnt it make sense not to eat the fat? I trim as much of the fat from all my venison cuts as possible, it usually has a strong flavour that overpowers the venison and potentially could go rancid.

Bistchen
11-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Not to hijack this thread but has anyone used Schmalz with their game meats???

They usually give the stuff away for free at delis and butchershops.

betteroffishing
11-20-2011, 11:55 AM
what is schmalz ???