PDA

View Full Version : Muley buck down

7mag700
11-17-2011, 01:49 PM
What a great hunt. Had been out with my best hunting buddy for 3 days, found two small 3x3 whitetails but hadn't shot anything.

The 4th morning another friend joined us. We were heading in to our area with two vehicles when I spotted a doe in the trees, at around 7:45am. It was not quite shooting light. I stepped out of my truck and watched her for a bit, hoping to see a buck with her. As I walked back to talk to my friend in the other truck, I saw the buck take off.

I grabbed my bag and headed out into the trees between two pastures. The buck had taken off a little northwest. I saw 3 does moving at a trot off to the east, but figured the buck was still heading the way I saw him go, or possibly circling back around, so I headed a little more west. Sure enough I ran almost right into him, and moved him back east. By this time it was about 7:50 and there was enough light to see (insert Zeiss testimonial here)he was a big 3x3 or possibly 4x3 muley when I got my scope on him. He was moving fairly fast across in front of me, so I got ahead of him until I found a good opening. As he passed between the two trees I bleated at him and he stopped dead, with the area behind his ears to just behind his shoulders in view, about 75 yards away. I had just that instant to choose my shot, and didn't want to be so close to one of the trees trying for a lung shot, so I went for his neck. Bang-flop, he dropped out of view in the scope.

My only regret was that I chambered a round so quickly and headed his way that I forgot to save the brass. What a thrill. Nice, very healthy, though not big 4x3. No smell at all, plenty of fat, gonna be delicious :)

Here's a couple pictures (oh yeah please spare the moustache comments, unless you'd care to make a Movember donation :mrgreen:):

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011_Buck_small.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG-20111114-00052.jpg

Not sure how much more time I'll get to hunt this year, though my buddy got a doe the next day (the day they opened). I might get out one or two more days to look for a whitey, but it would have to be a big boy before I'd pull the trigger.

Still I think this has been the best season ever for me, I truly enjoyed that spot n stalk, it was an amazing rush. Hope everyone else has a gooder too!

7m7

coach
11-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Nice buck, 7m7! Good to hear you've had such a great season. That's what it's all about. Hopefully you find that big whitey next. Congrats and thanks for posting.

Phil
11-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Great job! Should be good on the Bar-B-Q!

OutWest
11-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Nothing beats hunting with good friends. Nice buck 7m7!

patdel
11-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Congrats on your great season, sure is nice when you get to enjoy yourself outdoors like that. Nice buck, good eats this winter!

BiG Boar
11-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Probably the worst eats you'll ever have. Hate to say it but its true. Get ready to gag. In a bad way.

However congrats on a good set of horns.

Anyone who says mulies in the rut are good eating are full of crap. Probably the gamiest animal I have ever imagined.

Nice stache though. And a good cause too.

Shooter
11-17-2011, 11:05 PM
The gamey taste comes from the fat. Get rid of it and he will taste great. Good job putting him on the ground

cavebear
11-17-2011, 11:08 PM
If you remove all silver skin fat and sinewe, they taste great, take care and time and butcher yourself and it will taste better :) Congrats on an amazing hunt.

mark
11-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Probably the worst eats you'll ever have. Hate to say it but its true. Get ready to gag. In a bad way.

Anyone who says mulies in the rut are good eating are full of crap. Probably the gamiest animal I have ever imagined.

Ive been living on rutted up mule deer for 25 years.....Love it!

Congrads on your buck by the way!

killer
11-17-2011, 11:11 PM
thats going to be a tastey buck cograts

patdel
11-17-2011, 11:20 PM

We just had 2 bucks hanging for 14 days before butchering them and had some steaks and tasted great. 7mag also stated that his buck didn't stink at all so it sounds like he wasn't deep in the rut yet.

matt420
11-17-2011, 11:38 PM
nice lookin buck, congrats on your 4point muley!

hunter1947
11-18-2011, 04:00 AM
This buck will be very tasty on the dinner plate ,well done congrats to you..

5 spike
11-18-2011, 05:46 AM
good friends, buck down gotta love it congrats.

kennyj
11-18-2011, 06:30 AM
Nice buck. Great when a plan comes together.
kenny

scottwh
11-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Good job! Congrats on your muley! Look after the meat and it'll taste great, I havnt had a bad one yet in 20yrs! Cheers :)

7mag700
11-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks all! Ya he didn't have any stink at all on him. Almost every buck we saw (and we saw 30 to 40 deer every day) was on does, and they seemed to be moving around even at mid-day even as warm as it was. This guy was on does as well, but still seems to be very early rut around here. A friend showed up in my driveway with a 9x5 Muley last night though, and says they're really moving around now. I'll post a pic of the monster in a minute on a new thread.

7m7

moose2
11-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Good job on the buck
Mike