PDA

View Full Version : Bear encounters?

Deer_Slayer
11-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Anyone have any interesting Bear encounter stories from this season? Love to hear em and maybe see pictures. Hope everyone had a good season.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-16-2011, 09:13 PM
http://blog.michna.com/sites/blog.michna.com/files/smiley_popcorn.gif this thread is going to be very good!!

Wrayzer
11-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Was on top of a ridge earlier this season, heard some noises that I couldnt quiet distinguish, I figured it was splashing water from a pond down the ridge a bit, I walked a 50 yards for a better view hoping a moose was splashing around, as I walked closer it got louder until finally it sounded like distinct scratching. I looked 25 yards again to my left and had a blackie sow and 2 cubs scampering up a tree. Sow was quiet small so at first I thought it was 3 cubs and I couldnt find the sow, so I backed out of there pretty quickly.

BearStump
11-16-2011, 09:16 PM
in reg. 4 hunting elk this year. After a 1/2 hr bugling session with a big bull, that ended up running away from us, we're shootin' the shit and walking down the road when out of no where a grizzly cub calls for mama. This little bugger was no more than 20 ft into the bush from us. Needles to say we all stopped dead in our tracks and all you could hear was click,click,click. when all three of us turned our safeties to "fire".

Never did see mama bear. The next morning we ran into the two guys that were camped out right by the spot we were in and they had shot the big elk that we were after the night before. They also had a run in with mama bear while they were gutting their bull. It charged them and they had to shoot the dirt infront of her when she was at a full charge and only 10 yds away.

End of the day, no-one got hurt and the bears were fine too.

Deer_Slayer
11-16-2011, 09:28 PM
where in region 4?

doubled
11-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Good try. LOL/

The Dawg
11-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Saw one. Shot it. Ate it.

Very interesting.

Deer_Slayer
11-16-2011, 10:54 PM
lol..just asking cuzz I used to live up there and had lots of grizz encounters..hahahaha..but funny

pathfinder55
11-16-2011, 11:10 PM
We had a deer hanging in camp Oct 31, region 5. I locked my 2 dogs in the truck and went for the evening hunt.When I got back to camp, I let the dogs out and they ran across the clearing and gave chase to a bear. On inspecting our deer we noticed the hide had been dragged off. That night I parked my truck beside the meat pole and put the dogs in it for night. We hadn't even hit the sack when the dogs go off and we see the bear running away.Next morning I hunt a big circle around camp but with no luck. After lunch, we are sitting around the fire when my brother sees the bear approaching our deer, I grabbed my BLR 308, jack in a shell and shoot from about 75yds. The bear runs off and the dogs who had missed all the excitement joined us in the search. As soon as they got a whiff of the fresh bear sent, they went ballistic. We found the bear dead 40yds into the bush.The dogs were so excited to finally " catch " a bear.......Peter

Question....would that be considered a baited bear?

Whonnock Boy
11-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Elk hunting this year, my partner had some fun. The first encounter he was sitting in the rain and wind with his hood over his head. He hears a noise behind him, and not 30 feet away was a young grizzly. It took off as soon as he turned around. He did not like that one bit. Not having been around bears all that much he asked for any pointers if he sees another one. I said for starters, stay calm. Talk to it to let it know your there, and slowly wave your arms making you look bigger than you are.

Next, sitting in his spot before first light he heard some noise not far away opposite the direction he was sitting. Thinking it was an elk he waited patiently. He never heard anything else until about a half hour after first light. He was occasionally looking behind him but seeing nothing. Finally he heard the noise again and decided to get up and have a look. About 30 yards away was a griz. He let the bear know he was there, and the bear gave him a woof. He slowly backed out of there with his tail between his legs. When he recounted the story I asked if he gotten any s#$t on his tail while he was getting out of there. He didn't think that question was as funny as it was meant to be.

After when I asked exactly what happened it seemed he did not heed my advice. Instead of talking to the bear, he pretty much scared it. "HEY BEAR, HEY, HEY BEAR" while he aggressively waved his arms. No wonder it woofed at him. The funniest part was when I was walking back to camp I hear a diesel coming up the road that sounded like the ford. Sure enough it was my partner. He stops, and proceeds to tell me the story. I said ok, but why are you driving the truck up here. Well when he backed out of there he left his pack lying on the ground. I LOL. The bear was out in the slash when we drove up. It was a good sized bear no doubt.

hunter1947
11-17-2011, 04:55 AM
I had one encounters this year in camp with a griz.

5 spike
11-17-2011, 05:16 AM
walked up to a burn pile to take a leek and on the other side of it was a boar sleeping good morning. i didnt shoot it it was right in my prime hole for deer and early in the day. i slowly backed off and walked down the road.

CanuckShooter
11-17-2011, 08:15 AM
We had a very large black bear [3-400lb] charge us in camp this year. We were sitting around mid-day enjoying the sunshine when this very large boar stepped out of the willows about 60ft away and hesitated. Apparently he sized us up and thought he could take a round out of us because he immediately began to charge.....we grabbed our rifles which were conveniently hanging nearby, loaded up.....and ran him off. Darned good thing my parnter had clipped back the willows surrounding our camp in previous years or we may not have had time to arm ourselves.....

laredo318
11-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Question....would that be considered a baited bear?[/QUOTE]
I am far from the most knowledgable hunter on here, but not something, I would post.
Just my.02

Deer_Slayer
11-17-2011, 12:53 PM
No..that is considered a dead bear!

Deer_Slayer
11-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I had 2 encounters with Black Bears and I now have alot of yummy sausage, pepperoni, salami, smokies in my freezer.

Livewire322
11-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Is a 45/70 overkill for a blackie? Been think of getting into bear hunting

steepNdeep
11-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Had to chase 1 stubborn bugger off the property. No grizz luckily... pretty puckered going into a bull that I never recovered til the next morning...

A few blacks around in the spring for entertainment:

Cinnamon Bears VID (http://vimeo.com/24470648)

Black Boar VID (http://vimeo.com/24642597)

DLP
11-17-2011, 08:20 PM
up in region 5 in october, rumour has it an old guy from horsefly was eaten by a grizzly in his apple orchard. all they found was his skull and a loaded pistol next to his remains, according to the local paper. we were camping about 25 miles away.

Fella
11-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Having a camp fire up in a big old slash, tree line was about 200 yards on three sides from us. We were roasting cookie dough over a fire, and suddenly we hear a ruckus in the woods coming from up the hill from us. Look up and there's a black bear peeking out at us. He starts to come towards the fire until we stand up and start making noise. He backed out of there pretty quick, but we could hear him circling around us. Didn't see him for another 30 minutes or so when he comes out of the trees to our left and then literally tumbled off a rock outcropping, dropping 8 feet to the ground below and then booked it back into the woods.

BCbillies
12-29-2011, 02:01 AM
Mid September: My partner and I pull into base camp at midnight with goat in my pack. We just completed a six hour hike back; in addition to a solo retrieval in not so friendly goat country! I am mentally and physically beat and ready to eat the sole off of my boots! We wake up the two others in camp to see how they made out for the day . . . a beautiful grizz down. We were able to shake hands but before I could fire up the stove there is snorting and growling and all the pleasant sounds that grizzlies make. Being dark and not in the mood for this the next several minutes is a little intense as it is sounding like the bears are ready to descent upon camp. The Germans in the group are getting a little testy and in short order all four hunters are standing side by side at attention with all rifles loaded and ready to defend the fort. With the moonlight we can make out three dark animals at 200 yards away. I fire shots in their general direction but to no avail. A while later I fire up the stove and inhale a Mountain House and crawl into my bag with the earplugs in and it's lights out. Come morning the three bears are still in the area but are bedded at 400 yards from camp. At 8:30 am they finally move off. The sow had a very distinct white patch on her right shoulder . . . same bear that we had an encounter with 3 years earlier. That time we had a goat in our packs and were hiking back to the same base camp. We spotted her at 350 yards and she winded us and changed her route and came to within 70 yards. Not a big or a pretty bear but she is old and cranky! The day before this latest encounter we had some very close encounters with a different bear. This bear came home with us! :)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Three_Bears.jpg http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Sow.jpg

Two other grizz encounters in 2011 included a 20 yard bluff charge during an August sheep hunt and another 20 yard encounter in the spring . . . the later bear also came home with us. With enough close encounters for one season I opted out of the late September grizzly hunt which . . .

srupp
12-29-2011, 02:29 AM
up in region 5 in october, rumour has it an old guy from horsefly was eaten by a grizzly in his apple orchard. all they found was his skull and a loaded pistol next to his remains, according to the local paper. we were camping about 25 miles away.

Well he was "consumed" however the cause of his demise will probably never be determained ?? he ironically was a ex guide...and the bears that did the consuming were unknown black or grizzly bears..

we were camped and hunting just over the ridge from his property and we did see a way moree grizzly bears in that area while they were investigating/discovering his demise.

Some exceptional sized bears 8 1/2 footers extremely well conditioned for hibernation...and a few average and above sized black bears..

One evening Nick and I were heading home, and rounding the corner a very large mature G bear busted down accross the rd and bailed into the thick stuff...maybe 15 yards from us...considerably way more G bears and black bears than I have usually seen in that area for a Oct hunt..

steven

greasysidedown
12-29-2011, 11:02 AM
The last 5-6 years we are having issues with G bears where we hunt in region 7.

Last year on the 16 sept a partner shot a moose on the river. By the time he dealt with it and got back to the access point it was late. We loaded up the small moose on the quads, cleaned the boat with water and headed to camp. Next day two seats and a paddle were broken. Muddy footprints all in the boat.

On the 18th, I chased a 400-500lb bear down the road from the area with my quad. 700-800 yards. Thought that would be the last of him.

The evening of the 21st I had another bear come to me while calling. The next morning the same bear came to within 100ft of my partners while calling.

Late on the 22nd my partners shot a huge moose on the river. It was late again with high water conditions when they got back to the access point with half the moose. Cleaned the boat and loaded the two quauters on the quads and headed back to camp. Next morning buddy and myself go back up river to get the remaining two quarters. As we approach the site we start talking loudly. On the river bank while buddy is filming the kill site he questions how clean it is. At once we say "where's the gut pile". I look around and determine "it's buried over here". We load up quickly and get out of there.

Late the next morning a member on here's brother in law comes by camp and says "your boat is floating in a couple feet of water". We're thinking that's what boats do, as the river was over flowing by this time. 1/2 hour later we go to check things out and the boat is flipped. After righting the boat we survey the damage. The remaining seats are broken, tiller handle snapped, tilt mechanism broken.

We saw one of the bears a few more times. This is kind of funny as a huge old boar used to be seen once a year, then never to be seen again for our remaining trip. He seems to be gone now and these younger bears don't have the same fear or respect as he did.

We always have a tag for a problem camp bear but this was to much. Thinking a couple of rugs may be coming home with us next year.

TheProvider
12-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Pics are on my cell phone, I know your not suppose to but fed one my apple as he was 2ft away from me, he walked all the way along the complex watching me then came up the driveway, and stopped about 50yrds from me, he was up wind of me trying to figure out what I was. slowly made his way too me and slightly down wind. Once he got my scent he just stood there so I got an apple for him when he was 4yrds away, ate the apple and walked up two ft from me.

Outdoor Addict
12-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Good story's guys!

I was riding back to camp one day this last season On a really Grey rainy day, the wind streight in my face, riding thru a Valley full of tall thick willows that were almost over the horses back in hight in places. I came to a narrow spot in the trail that was super thick on either side of the trail with nowhere to go but up of down the trail. My horse all of a sudden jumped out of its skin,planted all 4 feet solidly on the ground and peered down the trail about 15- 20 yards ahead to where the trail made a slight curv just before we crossed a river. I was startled by the horse jumping and starred Ahead in the direction my Horse was as the wind and rain were driving into my face.barrley a second went by after the horse starttled and as i was looking to the corner in the tail, a Sow Grizzly with two little cubs with her stood up almost eye level with me 15- 20 yards out, and went WOOOF! My thoughts at that point were WOOOAA! WHOLY @#$%!! and we Very quickly changed our course of direction to 180 degree's of where we were headed just seconds previously as the Sow got back down on all 4 feet. our pack horses freeked out and went crashing thru the willows in there prosess if turning around in the tight space. As we made very good time headed back down the trail we just came up The Sow was crashing thru the willows parrilelling the trail about 20 yards out in the willows breaking in everything that stood in her way as she chased us the oposite direction down the trail HUffing and Puffing for about 75 yards, Going WOOF!!! WOOOOF!!! WOOOFFF!!! once everything had calmed down a little and we were a couple hundered yards away and had caught our pack horses we waited 30 - 45 min before going back up the trail.

We had no idea eachother were there untill My horse jumped and the Sow stood up. I have No idea why any of the horses didnt smell her before we came so close, I guess things like that happen every so often and that keeps you on your toe's. sure makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

Outdoor Addict

REMINGTON JIM
12-29-2011, 03:35 PM
We had a deer hanging in camp Oct 31, region 5. I locked my 2 dogs in the truck and went for the evening hunt.When I got back to camp, I let the dogs out and they ran across the clearing and gave chase to a bear. On inspecting our deer we noticed the hide had been dragged off. That night I parked my truck beside the meat pole and put the dogs in it for night. We hadn't even hit the sack when the dogs go off and we see the bear running away.Next morning I hunt a big circle around camp but with no luck. After lunch, we are sitting around the fire when my brother sees the bear approaching our deer, I grabbed my BLR 308, jack in a shell and shoot from about 75yds. The bear runs off and the dogs who had missed all the excitement joined us in the search. As soon as they got a whiff of the fresh bear sent, they went ballistic. We found the bear dead 40yds into the bush.The dogs were so excited to finally " catch " a bear.......Peter

Question....would that be considered a baited bear?

YES ! You had the bear coming to the deer carcass several times and you left it out there and did nothing to deter the bear from coming in to it- thereford you baited it till you could shoot it ! LOL ! :-D Now thats what a asshole co would would say but any good one- which is most of them -i find- would say " taught that fringin bear to a lesson to mess with your deer" LOL :-D

REMINGTON JIM
12-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Is a 45/70 overkill for a blackie? Been think of getting into bear hunting

Read my signature ! LOL Great bear cartridge !

Nait Hadya
12-29-2011, 11:50 PM
"Larry the timber guy" and I,walked into a bear claimed carcass with three cans of pepper,one bear banger,a 45-70 with the safety off and loaded with special handloads

moose2
12-30-2011, 12:07 AM
It wasn't really an encounter, but a surprise to see a black bear out in harsh winter conditions on the 22 of Nov in 7b.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?75003-Peace-Country-black-bear-spotted-today-(-Nov-22-)&highlight=peace+bear
Mike