PDA

View Full Version : Vortex or Redfield??

PointMan
11-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Looking to buy a new scope in the not too distant future. I've always been told that Redfield, being made by Leopold, make a fantastic scope and great warranty. I've also been told that Vortex has a great scope, the advantage being, their warranty is over the counter. What are your thoughts on these?

warnniklz
11-16-2011, 03:30 PM
I'd pick Redfield

Mr. Dean
11-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Looking to buy a new scope in the not too distant future. I've always been told that Redfield, being made by Leopold, make a fantastic scope and great warranty. I've also been told that Vortex has a great scope, the advantage being, their warranty is over the counter. What are your thoughts on these?

I have no personal experiance with either but will watch this thread intently.

r106
11-16-2011, 03:46 PM
I have no personal experiance with either but will watch this thread intently.

X2.

I have looked through both and they both seem like good glass. I've herd great things about both. But I lean towards leupold/redfield. They have been around and proven for so many years, along with the lifetime warrenty.

But looking through them in the middle of the day in the store doesn't really prove anything.

coach
11-16-2011, 03:50 PM
I have several redfield scopes. I think they are great value for the money. I have a vortex impact spotting scope that is about as effective as a toilet paper roll with cellophane over each end of it. I know which one I'd pick.

Bow Walker
11-16-2011, 06:12 PM
I've yet to own or use a Redfield butIi do own and use a Vortex - so of course my recommendation would be for the Vortex.

But - go in and look through both or them - not just in the store under ideal lighting conditions but outside, trying to find low light conditions. Compare as best you can and go with what you feel good about.

scallywag
11-16-2011, 06:20 PM

you mean i dont have to send my binos away i ust have to take them into the store?? i lost the reciept

todbartell
11-16-2011, 06:25 PM
I'd go Redfield. Good optics with a rock solid warranty if needed.

frenchbar
11-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Any of the older redfeilds i had were great scopes..go for the redfeild !

PointMan
11-16-2011, 07:01 PM
you mean i dont have to send my binos away i ust have to take them into the store?? i lost the reciept
This is what I've been told, by "over the counter" I mean they exchange them on the spot, apparently, haven't spoken to any reps on this yet. As far as receipt goes, couldn't tell you.

LoonLake96
11-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Vortex forsure. And the Warranty with vortex is over the counter, you can run it over with your truck and you get a brand new one.

ElliotMoose
11-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Vortex forsure. And the Warranty with vortex is over the counter, you can run it over with your truck and you get a brand new one.

x2. Bought a vortext last year for a reasonable price ($250) and it has yet to fail me. Picks up light fantastic, clear as day even at last shooting light. I have never owned a redfield so my opinion is solely based on my positive experience with vortex. The warranty is what sold me, lifetime warranty if anything goes wrong they give you a brand new unit. Got any buddies with both scopes that you could take a peak through? As mentioned above you can't base your decision on looking through the scopes in a lighted store

killman
11-16-2011, 08:12 PM
You have to send them to Vortex Canada. If they cant fix they send to Vortex USA.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-16-2011, 08:57 PM
i have a vortex viper 3-9x40 with mill dots, the scope works excellently and is quality made.

imho :-D

coach
11-16-2011, 09:32 PM
I sent my Vortex Impact spotter back this spring because it was impossible to focus. It took a few months, but they replaced it. New one is just as bad as the old one. I thought I understood what "over the counter" meant, but it somehow didn't apply in my case. I originally purchased it because of all the great reviews on this site. Obviously, you get what you pay for - and I bought a low end spotter. My experience with Redfield scopes has been all positive. My daughter has the 10x50 binos. I'm impressed with them too.

Shooter
11-16-2011, 09:59 PM
I sent my Vortex Impact spotter back this spring because it was impossible to focus. It took a few months, but they replaced it. New one is just as bad as the old one. I thought I understood what "over the counter" meant, but it somehow didn't apply in my case. I originally purchased it because of all the great reviews on this site. Obviously, you get what you pay for - and I bought a low end spotter. My experience with Redfield scopes has been all positive. My daughter has the 10x50 binos. I'm impressed with them too.

I have a Bushnell spotter that is the same thing.

pappy
11-16-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm expecting my vortex nomad spotter back from ontario with in a week or two, the o-ring seal at the objective end leaked the nitrogen out and let rain water in. I just called them to see if they have repaired it. I asked about a viper 3x9x40 scope that can't hold zero on any centerfire rifle and their response was to send it in, if they have a matching new one in stock they will send it right away. If they don't have one in stock then mine will get sent to the states for repair. I have the viper binos and they are very good, I have compaired them to leupolds in fading light and there is no difference that I could notice. With that said I will never buy anything else vortex, just because the warranty is good. I wasn't happy hiking for hours while sheep hunting and then finding out everything I look at thu my spotter is blury. Its expensive to buy cheap stuff, cause you have to pay shipping to get it fixed. When I have both the spotter and the rifle scope back from repairs I'll sell them at a loss to get cash for a decent spotting scope

BiG Boar
11-16-2011, 10:07 PM
VORTEX IS NOT OVER THE COUNTER.

You get 2 weeks off a year to hunt. You have something fail you. Your hunt is ruined, cost: $1500. They have the same warranty. Go with the one not made by child labour in the orient.

If not sure which one is made in China, look at the made in label.

I have had both and the vortex is good, but the redfield is better.

BigBear.338
11-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Leopold!!!!!!!!!!! is not redfield.

coach
11-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Great post, BigBoar. People can talk all they want about warranties - but not ever needing to use the warranty is the best case scenario. How many "back up" spotters and binos do you want to carry around in your pack?

Trophyslayer
11-16-2011, 10:14 PM
I have a redfeild spotter and its like looking through a frosted window the glass is terrible quality and low light conditions might as well throw it away

blacklab
11-17-2011, 06:46 AM
I've had a Redfield 3-9 on my 338 RCM, is taken a lot of rounds. It's bright, clear, and simple. I hate extra knobs, dials and the quick focus that is never focused when you need it.
I'll be picking up a 2-7 for my 308.

sneaky67
11-17-2011, 03:50 PM
it all depends i have a votex Diamondback and its a fantastic scope for the price but then you can also get the viper which it better then the diamondback but double the price too, i would defiantly get a vortex over the redfield. plus the warranty is a bonus wen going with vortex

Slime green cat
11-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Take a look at a Burris Fullfield 2 as another low dollar scope option ... mine has been great ! It has even inpressed a couple of my buddies that are Ziess and Leopold snobs ! lol
It's really is very underated scope ... has great low light abilities too ! I have also heard Burris has a great warranty and is good to deal with, although I haven't needed it .
Its worth a look ! think i got mine for around $250

Brett
11-17-2011, 05:03 PM
I have been happy with my Vortex spotter and scope, that being said they are higher end viper PST and skyline or something spotter, both have worked well and are a good value. Grouse River owner told me with over 20+ years in the business and hundreds of suppliers he has never had an easier company to deal with for warranty.

huntcoop
11-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Leupold is King.

Mr. Dean
11-17-2011, 05:53 PM
From the reading, it sounds like Vortex offered GREAT after sales service from out of the gate, but has since slid a bit.

GrouseRiver
02-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Simply a post to clarify some mis-information posted earlier in this thread. Vortex DOES offer an over-the-counter warranty option on RIFLESCOPES and it is at the option of the individual dealer whether they wish to service the customer in this manner or have Vortex Canada replace the scope for the customer. As the country's largest independent Vortex dealer (and we also stand behind every brand of scope that we sell including Leupold/Redfield) we choose to honour our Vortex riflescope warranties over-the-counter for in-store purchases and customers who have bought online can simply send a scope back to us for a no-charge replacement. The warranty is "no-fault" (read: accidental damage IS covered) and is good for life.

The overall % of defective product from most major manufacturers is extremely low these days, especially after you get up past entry-level price points. Some manufacturers are better than others and Leupold/Redfield/Vortex are all quality products at their respective price points. Redfield and Vortex both offer exceptional value in modern riflescopes, dollar for doallar performance wise they are very close, for customers who want absolute peace of mind then Vortex has a slight edge given the generous warranty and very quick/immediate turn-around should an accident or defect ever occur.

shureshot
02-05-2012, 04:16 AM
I bought binos at Grouse River in Kelowna the Vortex Diamondback I was told it was over the counter warranty. Now they are buggered I go in to see about this warranty and they say I have to send them to Vortex. The only reason I bought them is because they told me if anything goes wrong just bring them back, It will be a cold day in hell before I step foot I Grouse River.

CanuckShooter
02-05-2012, 08:46 AM
x2. Bought a vortext last year for a reasonable price ($250) and it has yet to fail me. Picks up light fantastic, clear as day even at last shooting light. I have never owned a redfield so my opinion is solely based on my positive experience with vortex. The warranty is what sold me, lifetime warranty if anything goes wrong they give you a brand new unit. Got any buddies with both scopes that you could take a peak through? As mentioned above you can't base your decision on looking through the scopes in a lighted store

Omineca is selling a Leupold scope for less than $250 right now on this site...why anyone would buy a chinese vortex scope is beyond me, but I am biased.

CanuckShooter
02-05-2012, 08:49 AM
I bought binos at Grouse River in Kelowna the Vortex Diamondback I was told it was over the counter warranty. Now they are buggered I go in to see about this warranty and they say I have to send them to Vortex. The only reason I bought them is because they told me if anything goes wrong just bring them back, It will be a cold day in hell before I step foot I Grouse River.

WOW...what ignorant customer service!!!! Did you ask to speak to the owner? I would because quite often we get crappy service like that from peon employees that don't really care if the boss loses a customer.

bearhunter338-06
02-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Omineca is selling a Leupold scope for less than $250 right now on this site...why anyone would buy a chinese vortex scope is beyond me, but I am biased.

I have a Vortex rifle scope and a set of Bino's. Nether one is made in China. Maybe you and all others who mouth off about being made in China should get your facts right.

CanuckShooter
02-05-2012, 09:08 AM
I have a Vortex rifle scope and a set of Bino's. Nether one is made in China. Maybe you and all others who mouth off about being made in China should get your facts right.

What? The vortex binos I bought came with a little sticker that said 'made in China'.......some azzhat must have stuck it on there to sucker me eh?? LOL

shureshot
02-05-2012, 09:23 AM
No I didnt ask to speak to the owner it was two girls they gave me Vortex phone number and said that they didnt know that binos wernt overthe counter warrenty but admitted telling people they were. Ware I come from when you give your word you stick to the deal.In my eyes they got alot to learn about running a business. But remember this is my opinion. I know two outher people this has happened to.

bearhunter338-06
02-05-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm sure they are made in the Philoppines, I will have to double check.......

LOL talk about getting facts strieght.

Yup Right on my scope Made In The Philoppines

Mr. Dean
02-05-2012, 09:44 AM
No I didnt ask to speak to the owner.

You might as well give it a try.
It's better than bitching about here, where nothing will happen about it.

I would suggest exhausting all avenues of recourse before ripping into a business or person on the on the internet. Send the owners an email if they can't be found in person and be mature in your dealings with them - No one wants to work w/ a hot headed cowboy. :wink:

REMINGTON JIM
02-05-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm sure they are made in the Philoppines, I will have to double check.......

LOL talk about getting facts strieght.

Yup Right on my scope Made In The Philoppines

Yea- mine too - made in the good old Phillipines ! LOL

troutseeker
02-05-2012, 10:51 AM
We should consider that "Made in the good old US of A" really means assembled in the US... The majority of components are still made in third world countries, imported in the US and assembled there. This allows manufacturers to claim the product was "made" in the US. That statement is typically misleading, misrepresenting the company and putting it's ethics in disrepute, lol.

And let's face it, China and other countries manufacture products as well or better than Canada and the US nowadays.

islandhunter
02-05-2012, 10:51 AM
My vortex razor spotting scope is designed in the USA and made in JAPAN.
BTW I just bought 2 redfield 4x12's $239 each

eastkoot
02-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Another option buy a used Ziess for 300 bucks on CGN before buying either one. Check it out..Shipped, no taxes..Used Leupold or Ziess is probably a better investment IMHO. Still have warranty too.

troutseeker
02-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Another option buy a used Ziess for 300 bucks on CGN before buying either one. Check it out..Shipped, no taxes..Used Leupold or Ziess is probably a better investment IMHO. Still have warranty too.

Always remember that Ziess scopes are made in the same factory as Bolex watches...

REMINGTON JIM
02-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Used Ziess for $300.00 Bucks- DAY DREAMER ! LOL

Bow Walker
02-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Possibly a legitimate complaint - but don't bitch about it here. Go into GR and deal with the issue where you'll likely get results!

REMINGTON JIM
02-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Possibly a legitimate complaint - but don't bitch about it here. Go into GR and deal with the issue where you'll likely get results!

Why not Bitch about it here ? Sounds like he DID go into grouse river and they told him NO over the counter after he was told over the counter when purchasing ! ! I was told the same when buying vortex from them its over "the counter replacement" - i would be annoyed also -i guess in the future a guy will have to get things put on paper for proof !

Mr. Dean
02-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Why not Bitch about it here ? Sounds like he DID go into grouse river and they told him NO over the counter after he was told over the counter when purchasing ! ! I was told the same when buying vortex from them its over "the counter replacement" - i would be annoyed also -i guess in the future a guy will have to get things put on paper for proof !

Where's the good?

He hasn't chatted with the owners or managment.
And pretty stupid not to, imo.

IMO net flaming should be reserved for the LAST resort.
It looks both childish and foolish. Kinda like a spoiled baby.

REMINGTON JIM
02-05-2012, 12:20 PM

MR DEAN - please re read this ! he did buy them there and was told "over the counter replacement " - So was I ! Then went he went in with problems its NO !! send them back to the Company! Thats why the bitch here ! I like Grouse River - just bought a bunch more product from them myself - but if i have vortex problems and no "over the counter warranty as PROMISED ! I will be really peed off also !

Bow Walker
02-05-2012, 12:24 PM
When he was told "No" by the counter staff, that is the time to go higher up the ladder and talk to management and\or owner(s) - before coming on here and crying.

REMINGTON JIM
02-05-2012, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=Bow Walker;1085333]When he was told "No" by the counter staff, that is the time to go higher up the ladder and talk to management and\or owner(s) - before coming on here and crying.[/QUOTE

I guess we all have our opinions ! Don't we !

Elkhound
02-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Used Ziess for $300.00 Bucks- DAY DREAMER ! LOL

Would have to be the cheaper conquest line

eastkoot
02-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Would have to be the cheaper conquest line

Yep, but still better than the other 2 options mentioned..Again, IMHO. I did pickup a West German Diavari 3x9 for 400 bucks on CGN. Pretty much stole it!!!:mrgreen:

Mr. Dean
02-05-2012, 02:08 PM
When he was told "No" by the counter staff, that is the time to go higher up the ladder and talk to management and\or owner(s) - before coming on here and crying.

Now that makes sense!
I don't understand the people that don't understand this.

It's vindictive and childish. And not even amusing.
Where's the maturity?

REMINGTON JIM
02-05-2012, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Dean;1085316]Where's the good?

He hasn't chatted with the owners or managment.
And pretty stupid not to, imo.

How do you know he has not chatted with the owner or management ?? for all you know he could have being speaking with either or or both !

REMINGTON JIM
02-05-2012, 04:45 PM
No I didnt ask to speak to the owner it was two girls they gave me Vortex phone number and said that they didnt know that binos wernt overthe counter warrenty but admitted telling people they were. Ware I come from when you give your word you stick to the deal.In my eyes they got alot to learn about running a business. But remember this is my opinion. I know two outher people this has happened to.

Sorry Mr Dean - i missed this one from shureshot - my apologies ! Jim

ROEBUCK
02-05-2012, 04:56 PM
you have to keep in mind ,that "grouse river" have had a complete staff overhaul in the past year including the store manager !STRANGE !
so maybe there policy has changed on returning vortex ! another reason not to buy chineese made optics .IMO

REMINGTON JIM
02-05-2012, 05:21 PM
you have to keep in mind ,that "grouse river" have had a complete staff overhaul in the past year including the store manager !STRANGE !
so maybe there policy has changed on returning vortex ! another reason not to buy chineese made optics .IMO

Yea - thats a fact - ! Ok I'm done with this one - see ya ! Jim

Bow Walker
02-05-2012, 05:22 PM
In another thread GR stated unequivocally that their return policy for Vortex is only over-the-counter on riflescopes.

guywitha270
02-05-2012, 06:17 PM

It's actually made in the Phillipines. And Wholesale is clearing out the VX-I scopes for $229 and Vortex is STILL outselling them. Just cuz it says Leupold doesn't mean it's good. Vortex ALL THE WAY.

ROEBUCK
02-05-2012, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=guywitha270;1085515]It's actually made in the Phillipines.

HAHAHAHA THATS EVEN WORSE LOL

guywitha270
02-05-2012, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=guywitha270;1085515]It's actually made in the Phillipines.

HAHAHAHA THATS EVEN WORSE LOL

On what basis? Please explain.

REMINGTON JIM
02-05-2012, 06:35 PM
It's actually made in the Phillipines. And Wholesale is clearing out the VX-I scopes for $229 and Vortex is STILL outselling them. Just cuz it says Leupold doesn't mean it's good. Vortex ALL THE WAY.

Wow - that took BIG balls to spout that out ! You will pay for that statement ! Theres people on here that will prob have you wacked or something ! LOL

stugatz
02-05-2012, 07:18 PM
It's actually made in the Phillipines. And Wholesale is clearing out the VX-I scopes for $229 and Vortex is STILL outselling them. Just cuz it says Leupold doesn't mean it's good. Vortex ALL THE WAY.Leupold has been around for a very long time. Vortex??only time will tell, in the meanwhile not much trust in Phillippines technology, ever driven one of their cars?.....probably not.

CanuckShooter
02-05-2012, 07:20 PM

Leupold will at least have a resale value, the Vortex you'll have a hard time giving away!! Pick your poison I say!! ;-)

CanuckShooter
02-05-2012, 07:22 PM
In another thread GR stated unequivocally that their return policy for Vortex is only over-the-counter on riflescopes.

Dad told me to always get it in writing, apparently still a good policy?

guywitha270
02-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Wow - that took BIG balls to spout that out ! You will pay for that statement ! Theres people on here that will prob have you wacked or something ! LOL

Big balls? Why? Is it unfathomable that another company can make a decent scope? I looked through several Leupold's today and they weren't so hot. It's like saying you'd only drive a Chevy truck because you've always owned one. Doesn't mean Toyota can't make a good truck too.

By the way, we're talking about scopes in the 200-250 range here. I didn't say high end Leupold's weren't good. In the price range we're talking about, I PERSONALLY think that Vortex is one of the best. Sue me.

REMINGTON JIM
02-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Big balls? Why? Is it unfathomable that another company can make a decent scope? I looked through several Leupold's today and they weren't so hot. It's like saying you'd only drive a Chevy truck because you've always owned one. Doesn't mean Toyota can't make a good truck too.

By the way, we're talking about scopes in the 200-250 range here. I didn't say high end Leupold's weren't good. In the price range we're talking about, I PERSONALLY think that Vortex is one of the best. Sue me.

I agree with ya ! i like mine - but it seems a bunch of others on here think they are just a cheap JUNK ! There are so many leopold lovers it sickening - and it seems if your rifle does not wear one - its inferior ! I have 5 leopolds and i like them - i also have bushnells & vortex and like them also etc Just sayin !

guywitha270
02-05-2012, 09:14 PM
I'd wager that you'd find WAY more Vortex lovers on here than haters. They are made by a very reputable US company that happens to have a manufacturing plant in the Phillipines. They have the #1 customer service of any company and fully stand behind their products. Internet searches indicate that very few people don't like Vortex and they're always at or near the top of comparison tests. To say they are inferior just because of where they are made is so old school.

B.C.Boy(100%)
02-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Just from this thread, I have only seen/read Vortex in the repair shop, no one has mentioned any Redfields being sent a way or in repair, why is that?
Has anyone had an issues with their newer Redfields yet? scope or binos

coach
02-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Just from this thread, I have only seen/read Vortex in the repair shop, no one has mentioned any Redfields being sent a way or in repair, why is that?
Has anyone had an issues with their newer Redfields yet? scope or binos

I own 4 Redfield scopes and one Leupold. None have had any issues.

hunter1993ap
02-05-2012, 11:27 PM
there are a couple old redfeild scopes on a few of our rifles and they are still working good. have no comment on the vortex.

Bow Walker
02-06-2012, 11:09 AM
I own 4 Redfield scopes and one Leupold. None have had any issues.
:) I have a Vortex on my .270 - absolutely no issues. ;)

also, being assembled in an 'off-shore' country is in no way a knock against a product.

coach
02-06-2012, 11:25 AM
:) I have a Vortex on my .270 - absolutely no issues. ;)

also, being assembled in an 'off-shore' country is in no way a knock against a product.

I agree with you BW. I can only vouch for my own experience. My Vortex Impact scope had not been good - but it's the lowest priced model in the line up. My Redfields and Leupolds have been great. I know many HBC members have had great success with Vortex products - and those experiences and opinions are important. I think Grouse River does an excellent job here in Kelowna and don't believe they would be selling Vortex if they were dealing with an over abundance of customer complaints.

280 77
02-06-2012, 11:25 AM
I was set on the vortex diamondback for an inexpensive scope for a rifle that my son will be learning on. I went into the shop , noticed the redfield , asked about it then compared the two (same price point) . I left with the redfield , the glass was clearer.

russm86
02-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Only Vortex I have used is my spotting scope, I have had it a couple years now and I will just say that I am unimpressed with it now and it is less than desirable. For this reason I have been hesitant to try a riflescope by them as riflescopes are more technical and should be more trustworthy than a spotting scope in my opinion. I have just bought a redfield in the 4-12x40 and its great so far, no problems and good glass so far imo, but I have only had it a few months. This all being said, I would probably give Vortex a try before ever going back to Bushnell. Bushnell = 4/5 pieces of equipment failing in my experience. One scope had to be sent back twice wouldnt hold zero, apparently they had issues with the erectors in the elite 3200 models for a while. Then another scope has gone dark inside, not cloudy or white, just dark as if its all tinted... not sure whats with that one. Then one spotting scope wouldnt focus and then a range finder quit on me. Oh and I think the quickest turn around for warranty or repairs was like 6+ months. So, yea no more bushnell for me, but maybe others have had better luck with them. Anyways, I would go redfield, or as others have suggested look into the Burris.