PDA

View Full Version : Bringing the dog hunting... Is it going to be too cold?

ravensfoot
11-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Well, we just got a dog this year and wasn't planning on taking him up hunting till next year but situations as they are have come that the pup is coming up with us on our hunt up in the Cariboo. Forecast temps show lows of minus 15 on Sunday. If the Gunner (yes his name is gunner) is out with us in those temperatures do I need to worry about his feet (too much exposure to cold ground). I know wild dogs live in this stuff all the time but this is not a wild dog and Im sure he isn't conditioned to it. Or am I just being a pansy for my dog's sake? Also, any other tips while having the dog with us? This is my first time with a dog deer hunting.

Dog Breed: Lab X Border Collie X Rhodesian Ridgeback.
Age 5 Months
All shots up to date including Tic/Flea/worm prevention (Revolution)
http://www.ravensfoot.com/hunting/pics/_MG_2419-3-sm.jpg

RoscoeP
11-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Not sure about the feet but maybe some blaze orange to prevent getting shot by some hunter. Cheers Roscoe

ravensfoot
11-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Where do they sell those vests in the LM

biggamehntr
11-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Wholesale Sports in Langley does

doubled
11-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Depends on your setup. Is he being left in camp? Is he in a trailer, tent, etc? I would not have him running around for hours on end in those temps if he has not been conditioned.

ravensfoot
11-16-2011, 02:25 PM
I have a 30 foot travel trailer that he will stay in during the morning and eve hunt in his Kennel. The heat will be kept on for him. I would like to try and bring him on one or two afternoon walks in the bush to see how he is with game. Won't be more than an hour or two though.

11-16-2011, 03:07 PM
My personal opinion is it is too cold for them. We took ours to the 'Bou a few years back and would not do it again. They are labs.
I would leave the dog at home if you can.

Sasquatch
11-16-2011, 04:25 PM
I think an hour or two walks with a low of -15 would be fine. Just watch him and you'll be able to see if he's getting too cold.

Also, check his pads now and then to see if they are sensitive or getting cut.

I do agree with the suggestion of an orange vest for him - in season I keep one on mine whenever we are in the bush, hunting or not.

Angus
11-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Info on canine hypothermia:

http://www.lovable-golden-retriever.com/canine-hypothermia.html

If you do decide to take the dog on one to two hour walks keep some high caloric value treats handy. It will help keep his metabolic rate high. I'll give my dog a peanut butter and honey sandwich on those cold days in the blind.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-16-2011, 05:14 PM
don`t for get to factor cold from wind chill. all warm blooded animals will suffer from the wind chill effect, even tho the ambient temperature stays the same.

huntingfamily
11-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Should be fine for an hour or two. It all depends on the temps/wind factor. Couple other things that haven't been mentioned:
Keep an eye on the pads of his feet for cuts or cracks. Vaseline on his pads works well to keep the snow from building up there.
Check the tips of his ears & nose for signs of frostbite.

Have fun!
hf

doubled
11-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Because he is a pup and has not been exposed to that yet, he skin and pads will be very sensitive and soft and therefore need to be checked regularily. An hour or two should be fine but be prepared to take him back if things go sideways. Being 2kms from a truck and seeing him shiver uncontrollably is not what you want.

I would wait until next year even just to be sure.

lightmag
11-16-2011, 05:29 PM
that's too funny, my 5 1/2 month old pup in also named Gunnar (spelled different) , did you know it means "brave warrior" in scandanavian?? he is a pure bred rhodesion ridgeback (my avatar) . He is good in zero temps, havent had him out in the colder temps yet and snow, i'll be testing him out this thursday friday and next weekend. If in doubt , kennel him in the travel trailer.

Jagermeister
11-16-2011, 05:35 PM
He will be alright. My Akita/Collie cross never suffered from the minus temps of the Cariboo. Just make sure that the hairs between the foot pads are not accumulating too much ice and clean it out when it does. You could try a canine vest but the dog if wandering about will get too heated up, so only use it when the dog will be idle outside.

ravensfoot
11-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Some great advice, thanks. I will be getting the high vis vest and will bring Vaseline. I may also look into some of those goofy looking doggie boots. I'll probably limit his outdoor time to an hour max, won't go too far in the bush when he is with me. The trailer is warm and he is happy in his kennel so no problems there. Any advice about him being nearby when skinning a deer, will any of the trimmings make him sick? Should I keep him away from the stuff that gets flicked around when cleaning the deer? Probably is best to drag the cape and legs etc to a different area im thinking.

Sasquatch
11-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Any advice about him being nearby when skinning a deer, will any of the trimmings make him sick? Should I keep him away from the stuff that gets flicked around when cleaning the deer?

Couple years ago, mine got into a gut pile when I wasn't watching him. By the time I stopped him, he looked like he had swallowed a bowling ball. Other than a terrible case of gas and some whining (from both of us) he was fine the next day.

Not saying you should let your dog chow down, but it is amazing what they can ingest and not be worse for wear.