PDA

View Full Version : Solo Hunting and Predator Precautions

shaydog65
11-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Couple newbie questions to throw out there. I've been starting to solo hunt and I was wondering what kind of precautions I should be taking. Last weekend I was in Pemberton. Loads of predator track. The Wolf track I followed in was as wide as my boot track. I'm blacktail hunting, and tomorrow I'm gonna give Squamish a try. I'm planning to hike mountain side in the timber. First light till last.

I have a black bear tag, but no cougar tag. Should I buy it for the comfort of knowing I can take one in self defense?

If I spot a cougar, I know I have to assume it's going to be checking me out/ stalking me for a while, but do they normally do that? Or do they get outta dodge like black bears usually do? I guess I'm asking for behavior tendencies. And similarly how bout wolves?

How cautious should I be if jumping into the bush before first light, just using a headlamp to navigate in timber?

Anything else you guys recommend? I'll have a 5" ESEE strapped to my belt which I usually use for field dressing anyways.

Am I just being paranoid?

Here's my Pemby Wolf Track Pic. It is wolf correct?
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/Shaydog65/IMG_1254.jpg

Mr. Dean
11-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Every time I go out, I accept the fact that I may not come back.
Same said about crossing a street. :wink:

Do what you NEED to do in order to feel confident that you WILL come back. Buying a 'Spot' is a good idea.
Fact is, you'll likely die from injury or elements; Prepare for that then worry about what can eat you.

I try to LEARN trails by day, before going at them in the dark.

shaydog65
11-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Every time I go out, I accept the fact that I may not come back.
Same said about crossing a street. :wink:

Do what you NEED to do in order to feel confident that you WILL come back. Buying a 'Spot' is a good idea.
Fact is, you'll likely die from injury or elements; Prepare for that then worry about what can eat you.

I try to LEARN trails by day, before going at them in the dark.

Good stuff.

Weatherby Fan
11-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Well I prefer to hunt alone and just spent another 5 days doing that deer hunting in area 3,I always let someone know where I'm at and where I'm going if there's a change of plans as hunting Mule deer are about as predictable as fart in in a windstorm,and the next ridge always looks better !

Things can go sideways in a hurry like that fellow near Cache Creek found out last week,I was hunting north of there and at noon it was partly sunny and by 4:30 we had a major snow storm and fog,

I always plan as if Im going overnight and don't leave the truck without my pack not even for a quick stroll.
I've never used anything but a compass but thinking about picking up a GPS so I can be a little more reckless !

I always pack a knife for the same reasons you mention and no I don't think your being paranoid,it's always best to be aware of your surroundings.
WF

pappy
11-16-2011, 12:28 PM
I have a spot also, I make sure I'm dry as much as possible cause if your dry then your warm when your in the coastal mountains. I let the wife and my dad know where my hunting spot and back up spots are. Wolves have had a tendancy to follow me or stick around me just out of sight to see what I am or what I'm doing. They are usually curios and then take off, cougars are unpredicable. Some have ran away from me right away and others stick around I have seen more cats fishing than hunting so I couldn't shoot them (no shooting zone) Other cats have come too close for comfort and needed to be scared off.

bighornbob
11-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Couple newbie questions to throw out there. I've been starting to solo hunt and I was wondering what kind of precautions I should be taking. Last weekend I was in Pemberton. Loads of predator track. The Wolf track I followed in was as wide as my boot track. I'm blacktail hunting, and tomorrow I'm gonna give Squamish a try. I'm planning to hike mountain side in the timber. First light till last.

I have a black bear tag, but no cougar tag. Should I buy it for the comfort of knowing I can take one in self defense?

If I spot a cougar, I know I have to assume it's going to be checking me out/ stalking me for a while, but do they normally do that? Or do they get outta dodge like black bears usually do? I guess I'm asking for behavior tendencies. And similarly how bout wolves?

How cautious should I be if jumping into the bush before first light, just using a headlamp to navigate in timber?

Anything else you guys recommend? I'll have a 5" ESEE strapped to my belt which I usually use for field dressing anyways.

Am I just being paranoid?

If you are hunting with a stick or a rock I would think about some predator precautions. If you are hunting with a gun, that is all you need.

I hunt alone all the time and I am more concerned with getting lost then being eaten by something.

BHB

Mr. Dean
11-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Each time I hike a new area, I 'spot' my contacts list that I'm OK. This leaves my location.
If no one "hears" from me in 24 hours after that message, send in the Calvary to the last known position to collect my bones.

Always, always, ALWAYS!, have a way to stitch wounds, dry clothes, nourishment bars, flagging material, fire building stuff and an emerg blanket... And a flask of whiskey, just in case you have to perform a last toast to yourself (like, why not? You at least deserve this).

Knowing how to find north never hurt no one either. :wink:

tomahawk
11-16-2011, 04:58 PM
If you are hunting with a stick or a rock I would think about some predator precautions. If you are hunting with a gun, that is all you need.

I hunt alone all the time and I am more concerned with getting lost then being eaten by something.

BHB

Agree, the focus when hunting should be on the pursuit of your targetted animal. Chances of having a serious incident with a predator are very remote, so relax and focus on the hunt! I have had run ins with a pack of wolves and a few bears, mostly sows and been followed by a cougar twice but nothing that was anything more then curiousity from the wolves and cougar and protection false charges from the bears and that is in 45 yrs of steady hunting in remote locations

lp270win
11-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Im a little to cautious sometimes myself and after checking my trail cam this morning I found out why! I walked past my cam yesterday evening at about 4:50 and at 5:13 there was a large kitty right where i was standing:???:. Pretty nerve racking! I didnt stick around this morning due to the fact that if there was a cougar around the deer would more than likely be spooked. I'll check it out again tomorrow to see if he's hanging around.

LP

Mr. Dean
11-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Im a little to cautious sometimes myself and after checking my trail cam this morning I found out why! I walked past my cam yesterday evening at about 4:50 and at 5:13 there was a large kitty right where i was standing:???:. Pretty nerve racking! I didnt stick around this morning due to the fact that if there was a cougar around the deer would more than likely be spooked. I'll check it out again tomorrow to see if he's hanging around.

LP

Coog is there because the deer are there. GO HUNTING!

In fact, they (cougars) have likely been there all the time, you just don't see them.

Deer_Slayer
11-16-2011, 05:43 PM
well if you are hunting your senses should be on high alert..so just keep that way and don't wander into thick bush. I've hunted solo many times and it's just a matter of fact that you may encounter a predator, but if you are alert and checking your backtrail you should never have a "surprise encounter"

seanps
11-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Bear spray. Keep it on your belt.

Weatherby Fan
11-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Each time I hike a new area, I 'spot' my contacts list that I'm OK. This leaves my location.
If no one "hears" from me in 24 hours after that message, send in the Calvary to the last known position to collect my bones.

Always, always, ALWAYS!, have a way to stitch wounds, dry clothes, nourishment bars, flagging material, fire building stuff and an emerg blanket... And a flask of whiskey, just in case you have to perform a last toast to yourself (like, why not? You at least deserve this).

Excellent advice Mr.Dean well said..............hhmmmm but can we change the Whiskey to Captain Morgans or at the very least Baileys for my coffee :mrgreen:

Caveman
11-16-2011, 07:05 PM

BHB

X2 I too would be more afraid of getting lost or injured, than a run in with a predator. Bears and cougars want to avoid you as much as you want to avoid them, unless of course they are your quarry!

mrhappygolucky
11-16-2011, 07:26 PM
i am a new hunter too and the thought has crossed my mind on several occasions. as long as you have the right gear (rations, dry clothing...etc) then most likely you can shoot whatever it is that you need to when the time comes be it a pred or game. it just takes time to get use to being in the bush by yourself, most animals are more scared or you, then you should be. and yes ALWAYS let someone or something know where you are hunting. what i like to do when im hunting in for example griz territory is load the last round of my 3rnd mag with a nosler partition (180gr in my case) just in case i need to penetrate something large like a bear. in the end everyone has there time and if mine is while hunting being eatin by a bear or cougar then so be it, hopefully i will have a last drink or toke before i get eatin.

Mr. Dean
11-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Excellent advice Mr.Dean well said..............hhmmmm but can we change the Whiskey to Captain Morgans or at the very least Baileys for my coffee :mrgreen:

Well of course, Man!
Fill yer boots!!!

It's your funeral and it *should be* your call. :lol: :lol:

Mr. Dean
11-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Lets not understate things;

We're out there being sneaky and quiet, and trying to keep the wind on our faces.... I can't speak for others but I have nearly stepped (literally) on bears before and had 1 cougar meet me on bend in a trail (read fugly close). I never had to shoot anything but 3 different bears have made my neck hairs stand straight up.

And chances are, if they're hunting you, they'll get ya and the rifle will be useless - Keep a good blade accessible and lobby our Gov to permit us carry permits for pistols. :wink:

longstonec
11-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Search for the pack alarm group buy. Then buy one. Tell people where your going and when you will be back. Most predators are not as interested in humans as we tend to think when out alone in the dark.

pappy
11-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Bear spray doesn't work, I sprayed a black bear once and it shook its head like it was shaking off water. I emptied the can on it at 12 feet away and it took a side step and started to walk to me so I shot it in the chest. It was approved bear spray, not expired, with the proper amount of capician or what ever that spicy stuff is in there, I even fake charged while yelling at the bear but it was not going to leave me alone. I was filling up my water bottles at a creek when it walked out of the brush on the other side and decided I was a good choice for a meal. That is the only predator encounter that was agressive towards me in 15 years of solo hunting. I will never waste money on bear spray again. Always have your gun handy when your hunting alone or with another. I too should get a pack alarm for next season.

proguide66
11-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Your paraniod.

Dark doesnt change a thing...too many people are still scared of the drk. I spend my first hr alone hiking to my spot in the drk each time.
Lets face it , if a predator wants to prey on a human your pretty well going to get killed....gun/knife or handgranade....all predators outclass us 100% out there...allthough you will more than likely win the lottery before you get prey'd on around here ( well , more than likely anyway).
Dont have to worry about Pemby wolves , I have them trained to think humans are the ultimate predator...:twisted:

SimilkameenSlayer
11-17-2011, 12:41 PM
getting lost or the weather conditions will more likely get you than a predator. so carry your survival kit.

Mr. Dean
11-17-2011, 01:07 PM

Friendly FYI/FWIW;

I don't bother with needle and thread any more - Been there, done that,,,,,,, hurts like hell.
I now just pack a bottle of KraZee Glue (sp?). It was invented for just this purpose (no kidding).

brian
11-17-2011, 01:56 PM
x3 to Dean you are in waaaay more danger of getting lost, rolling an ankle, or falling and breaking/straining something that running into a predator that wants to make a meal of you. So prepare for the pertinent and realistic dangers first. Pack a map compass, tell people where you'll be and don't deviate enough that SAR will have no chance of starting a search for you, pack a first-aid/emergency kit, and don't take foolish chances. If something happens then it may be up to you to get yourself out.

CanuckShooter
11-17-2011, 08:27 PM
And while your worrying about all these safety measures don't forget to keep an eye in the limbs of any larger trees you are walking under, and keep in mind that if a bear is preying upon you it is most likely to ambush you from down-wind.......don't sleep in or around food or bloody clothing....we aware and take care.

eaglesnester
11-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Don't worry about the big cats. you probably will never see one until it's too late

Phreddy
11-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Ask Betterofffishing about large cats. Like Canuck Shooter said, "be aware and take care". Always check your back trail on a reasonably regular basis.