PDA

View Full Version : 8x40 vs 10x40 binoculars: pros and cons?

jml11
11-16-2011, 09:40 AM
I've been looking at a significant upgrade in bino's and was recently having a discussion on 8x40 versus 10x40 bino's. I was leaning towards a 10 power bino but the individual I was speaking with recommended 8 power as the 10 power magnification may not do the 40mm objective justice at low light conditions (i.e. for 10x go with a larger objective). Any thoughts?

Weatherby Fan
11-16-2011, 10:04 AM
The thing to know about that is the exit pupil on your Binoculars divide the power into the size of your objective lens ie-10x42=4.2mm exit pupil ,
your pupils will open to aproximately 7mm in total darkness so a perfect low light binocular in this case would be 7x50 - 8x56 thats why most marine application binos come in that type of powers as you use them alot at night,
Now for hunting they try to give you a compromise for size versus power 56mm objective lenses are a little bulky for everyday use, I use a 10x42 Leica trinovid binocular and they are excellent in low light conditions,
your friend is correct in saying the 8x40 would be a better low light bino just because of the larger exit pupil, also the 8x40 will give you a bigger field of view over the 10x40,the other thing that seems to be brought up is the higher magnification of the 10x bino seems to be harder to hold steady say in one hand when you want to have a quick look at a deer.
I prefer the higher power as I do alot of glassing at distances
Hope this helps,all I can suggest is buy the best binocular possible,mid range binos I would look at are Minox HG,Cabelas Euro,Meopta B1,Kahles these are binoculars I have bought or looked through and are very good for the money,or if you can look at Leica,swarovski,Zeiss
WF
If it was me buying them I would go with a 10x42 binocular over the 8x,just my preferance from experience.

shaydog65
11-16-2011, 10:05 AM
I'd trade my 8x40's for 10'ers in a heart beat. Twice this year my buddy with 10x40's has been able to id things that I couldn't. First was a very large bull moose on a swamp shore line about 8km away. Second was a spike white tail. I couldn't make out the spikes at the distance. We're both using similar model Bushnell's. And another thing, since my scope goes out to 12x, I'd like to at least see 10x with my binoc's.

coach
11-16-2011, 10:10 AM
I think a lot o it depends on where you hunt. I switched from a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42 to some Leupold Mojave 8x42 this season. Both are great quality for the price range and their isn't much difference in bulk. If I could do it again, I'd stay with the 10 power as the extra magnification makes a difference. I spotted a nice 4x4 mulie in region 3 in september. At 450 yards, I had difficulty seeing his front forks. My hunting partner clearly identified him through his 10x40 leupold cascades.

Elkhound
11-16-2011, 10:15 AM
I teach optics for a living and yes there is pupil size, light gathering and a bunch of info that could be considered. But I just look at it this way.

If I am hunting in timber. I perfer the 8x and get a wider field of view
If I am hunting large open areas. I go with a 10x for a little more ooomph at longer distances.

jml11
11-16-2011, 10:32 AM
I do a fair bit of high mountain hunting for sheep, goats, elk etc. so that is the main reason I have been leaning towards the 10x. Locally for moose, the areas are mostly open cutblocks where the 10x might be more useful still...especially with our spike-fork season! I'll likely still keep my compact 8X binos for the timber but since they are compacts they aren't very useful at low light...but I don't do much of this style of hunting overall. I am looking at the higher-end bino's so it's likley the low-light issue isn't all that much on an issue anyways.

Weatherby Fan
11-16-2011, 10:55 AM
I do a fair bit of high mountain hunting for sheep, goats, elk etc. so that is the main reason I have been leaning towards the 10x. Locally for moose, the areas are mostly open cutblocks where the 10x might be more useful still...especially with our spike-fork season! I'll likely still keep my compact 8X binos for the timber but since they are compacts they aren't very useful at low light...but I don't do much of this style of hunting overall. I am looking at the higher-end bino's so it's likley the low-light issue isn't all that much on an issue anyways.

If your doing that kind of hunting then I would strongly suggest the 10x bino,you won't be dissapointed.

cainer
11-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Ditto-10's all the way. Originally had 8-would never go back. You won't even notice the difference when it gets to that low light-especially if you buy some gooders.

tazerdogg
11-19-2011, 12:06 AM
I went through the same debate last year, went down to local store and just tried out several pairs in the parking lot to see how they felt, and what I might like. I ended up with a pair of Bushell Legend Ultra HD 10x42's. Just a little bit more power, and I am very happy with them.

J-F
11-19-2011, 12:16 AM
I also went through that debate. I treated myself with a pair of Leica Geovid (once in a lifetime) and hesitated a long time between the 8x and 10x.

I spent 15-20 minutes glassing at whatever was outside the store, and settled on the 8x. Simply more comfortable! Details I could see with th 10x, I could also see with the 8x, but more comfortably.

Looking at the time you'll spend glassing, comfort is important. The only test is to try them side by side for a little while, something a serious outdoor store should allow you to do.

Good luck.

JF

oclarkii
11-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Go for 10x42's. You'll regret the 8's later on, I'd be willing to bet on it. You really answered your own question as soon as you said you do a bit of mountian hunting - and you're planning on spending a bit of cash. GO FOR IT MAN!

snareman1234
11-27-2011, 03:56 PM
swarovski makes an 8.5 ;)

Brambles
11-27-2011, 03:58 PM
10 power, no doubt about it. I even like them better in the timber. Had to use my 8x for a bit this year while my 10x were getting repaired, it was a good day when my 8x could go back into the locker

thumper1
11-27-2011, 10:36 PM
If you like to do quick glances 'free-hand' with your binos to quickly check out things you've noticed with your naked eye- like stumps or whatever, I suggest the 8x. They're much easier to hold steady freehand. If you glass for longer periods and take the time to glass from a stable position or using a rest - then the 10x are definitely the way to go.

David
11-28-2011, 04:18 PM
^^^

Ditto to Thumper1. I have 10X Leica's and I wear glasses, no chance in hell of holding them 1 handed or sometimes even 2 handed after heavy exertion.