PDA

View Full Version : First timer

crazyhunter
11-15-2011, 09:54 PM
So I got my lic # late in the season and got me a tag for white tail. I have been out every weekend and my ? is some guys have told there is no point in shooting that nice buck I want if and when I find one here in kelowna area that they really arnt worth eating due to rutting season. They where saying the meat wouldn't taste all that great cause they have been pissen on them selves. Is this true???

mrhappygolucky
11-15-2011, 09:58 PM
from what i have observed the rut is late this year and so you might be able to get something yet! but yes they do taste worse when they are jacked

Tron
11-15-2011, 10:11 PM
If you get the hide off right away and keep the meat clean it should be fine. The areas were they piss on then selves need the be removed as soon as possible so the stink does not permeate the meat. As soon as it's back at camp or home skin it. Do not use the same knife you skinned it with to butcher it

crazyhunter
11-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Thats what i was thinking soon as its lights out id be gutting it and be home skinning it with in the hour and then off to the butcher.

Lillypuff
11-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Go and enjoy yourself get out and be safe. The meat is fine

Fisher-Dude
11-15-2011, 10:26 PM
The meat is just fine, as long as you care for it properly by following the advice above.

However, if you're at all concerned about how it may taste, you may consider getting sausage and jerky made from a late season deer, and you won't know the difference between a rutting buck and a September fatso!

cainer
11-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Ditto What they said... The bucks really only pee on their hind legs where the glands are located. Some people actually remove these glands and freeze them with the intention of using them as a sort of lure later. A lot of my bucks have been taken during the rut, and I haven't noticed any difference in taste. It's a bit of an urban myth I think. That being said. If you do contaminate the meat, it will taste bad.

goatdancer
11-16-2011, 12:43 PM
How would a buck peeing on himself affect the meat? Their hide is waterproof. Otherwise they would soak thru every time it rained. It's just another myth.

NORTHERN HUNTER
11-16-2011, 01:08 PM
It's 100% how you care for the animal when it's down that determines the quality of the meat. Time of year doesn't dictate anything. I've shot a couple of mulies in peak rut that I could smell before I saw them and they both tasted great!

Brian011
11-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Most of the mulies that Ive shot have been in the rut and I've enjoyed eating every one of them. Its all in ppl's heads from what they've heard. It's all on how well you take care of it, the odd one might be a little tougher that's about it.

crazyhunter
11-17-2011, 09:24 PM
So basically there should be no problem as long as you take care of it properly after you kill it!!! right