PDA

View Full Version : Region 3 mule deer season change ?

boxhitch
11-15-2011, 06:44 AM
The thread started by Fireguy re reg 8 md season change comes at a time when there is discussion about the southern regions harmonizing their md seasons.
Other options are for reg 3 and 5 to change their dates to closer to what reg 8 has now, which could see a shortening of the 4 point season in Dec and Nov.
Is a movement coming from reg3 because of too much late season pressure from hunters migrating to openings?
Or are they actually seeing a md population issue ?
Would reg3 hunters like a shorter 4 point season ?
:)

Steeleco
11-15-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure what the answer to your question is, but there needs to be some harmony between many regions. When all else closes, you should see Reg 2. Many last min tag cutters pounding any road with a foot print on it. It's crazy!!!

fireguy
11-15-2011, 09:46 AM
The thread started by Fireguy re reg 8 md season change comes at a time when there is discussion about the southern regions harmonizing their md seasons.
Other options are for reg 3 and 5 to change their dates to closer to what reg 8 has now, which could see a shortening of the 4 point season in Dec and Nov.
Is a movement coming from reg3 because of too much late season pressure from hunters migrating to openings?
Or are they actually seeing a md population issue ?

That's why I brought it up, I didn't think the region 3 guys would want the season that region 8 has and was throwing the question out there to see what the guys in region 8 would be willing to change so the region 8 season was closer to region 3. Obviously by the posts, they 8 guys don't want any change so you ask a very good question.

boxhitch
11-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Your thread has 18 pages of diatribe , a lot of posts regarding supposed problems with deer in reg8.
Thought the other half of the equation should be explored.

curt
11-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Bio's in region 8 should be extended their season to match 3 some of the best hunting is late Novemeber.... which is very likely why they will shorten the seasons if anyhting after all the ministry is about taking our money for tags and then stacking the odds against us!! Just like the Doe Leh in Nov MU's 501 330 there is no freaking deer there then they all migrate out so wtf is the point of that season!?!?!

fireguy
11-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Your thread has 18 pages of diatribe , a lot of posts regarding supposed problems with deer in reg8.
Thought the other half of the equation should be explored.

Good Idea about talking about the other part of things
I guess the region 3 guys are to busy out hunting to chime in yet

dana
11-15-2011, 07:03 PM
As far as what I've been told by some in the know, Region 3 is steady as she goes. Jury has a good handle on things.

frenchbar
11-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Why fix things when their not broke ...

coach
11-15-2011, 07:21 PM

Is the devil not capable of advocating on his own behalf?

dana
11-15-2011, 07:53 PM

Exactly!!!!

Funny that we get all the Coasties, all the guys from Region 8 and all the guys from Region 5 piling into this region year after year, and yet we still have no problem producing monster bucks. Why is it that we can do it for almost 20 years but the other Regions can't? I guess our deer are smarter here. ;)

frenchbar
11-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Exactly!!!!

Funny that we get all the Coasties, all the guys from Region 8 and all the guys from Region 5 piling into this region year after year, and yet we still have no problem producing monster bucks. Why is it that we can do it for almost 20 years but the other Regions can't? I guess our deer are smarter here. ;)

From what ive seen and heard latley Steve ..things are definately not broken ..some good bucks hitting the ground in 3

boxhitch
11-17-2011, 06:10 AM
The base issue is the push to harmonize seasons, some push from the hunters some from MOE.
Currently the beliefs by the two reg MOE is quite different so some middle ground may be what comes out in the wash. That could be a change for reg3.
We know its not really about the deer

J_T
11-17-2011, 07:00 AM
The base issue is the push to harmonize seasons, some push from the hunters some from MOE.
Currently the beliefs by the two reg MOE is quite different so some middle ground may be what comes out in the wash. That could be a change for reg3.
We know its not really about the deer

It's always good from time to time to clean things up. Harmonization does create some accepted baselines from which to move forward. The issues that face habitat, wildlife, hunters and decision makers today are in some cases different than in the past. The objectives are different in some cases. Micro management is a necessary tool. Starting with a harmonization initiative and then considering site specific approaches is not only acceptable and reasonable, it's necessary and inevitable.

Weatherby Fan
11-17-2011, 07:50 AM

x2 this is right on the money frenchbar

MerrittBow
11-17-2011, 08:11 AM
late bow season pleasseeeeeee haha

SHAKER
11-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Ding- Ding! Round 2

I didnt' even get a chance to play on the region 8 thread.... geeze.

frenchbar
11-17-2011, 09:38 AM
just say NO to CHANGES ...

boxhitch
11-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Ding- Ding! Round 2This one is not getting near the mileage. Guess reg3 has it so good they can give up a week or two.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-17-2011, 08:58 PM
I am usually not resistant to change, but I agree that we should be fighting the push for harmonization in reg 3. Our mule deer populations have been stable to increasing and we have, as others have said, had out-of-regioners invading us after their seasons for years. Good bucks are still around and so are good numbers of deer. I'm sorry, but you are an absolute moron and should have your license rescinded if you can't figure out the regulatory nuances of specific regions and MUs.

So you can hunt until Dec 10 in reg 3 and Nov 10 in reg 3. Big deal. In my opinion the MD season is way to restrictive for most of the OK MUs minus the Kettle, Granby and Sugar country.

dana
11-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Boxhitch,
As far as I understand the seasons as shown in the 2010-2012 regs are in fact considered 'harmonized'. I really doubt you will see much different in the near future. Looks like most of the 2012-2013 changes are already short listed and as you can tell, Region 3 had very little changes. Steady as she goes seems to be working well. Nothing to bitch about like the 'sky is falling' region 8 hunters that had no snow this year so couldn't get any big bucks down. ;)

beni
11-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Nothing needs to change here.

I'm quite content with our seasons here. Wish that the WT Doe season was a full week longer though.

Mulies are doing fine, most hunters where I spend my time don't bother going out once it turns back into 4pt or better. Which is perfectly fine by me :D

boxhitch
11-18-2011, 05:30 AM
As far as I understand the seasons as shown in the 2010-2012 regs are in fact considered 'harmonized'.Except the 30 day difference in the MD season, which sounds like is the crux of the problems.
We'll know more after the meeting this weekend........or not

walks with deer
11-20-2011, 12:12 AM
bucks in reg 3 are strong leave alone

Weatherby Fan
11-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Boxhitch,
As far as I understand the seasons as shown in the 2010-2012 regs are in fact considered 'harmonized'. I really doubt you will see much different in the near future. Looks like most of the 2012-2013 changes are already short listed and as you can tell, Region 3 had very little changes. Steady as she goes seems to be working well. Nothing to bitch about like the 'sky is falling' region 8 hunters that had no snow this year so couldn't get any big bucks down. ;)

It sounds like the area 4 guys are having some trouble finding deer also,that late summer weather really puts a damper on the routine :confused:

dana
11-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Except the 30 day difference in the MD season, which sounds like is the crux of the problems.
We'll know more after the meeting this weekend........or not

The starting dates are what is harmonized. As far as I've been told, that is about as far as they are going to go with the Southern Interior Mule Deer Strategy. As for the crux of the problems, it sounds like the only ones having problems is Region 8 because they shut down the season before the deer hunting gets good and therefore, you have hunters whining that there are no big bucks left. Not seeing the big pictutre they will whine to have more restrictions on themselves instead of realizing that they actually need less. ;)

GoatGuy
11-20-2011, 10:25 PM
And the people killing big bucks have wised up enough to stop sending pics around of their deer. There were lots of big region 8 bucks killed again this year, just that folks are on the zipper lip drill...

The starting dates are what is harmonized. As far as I've been told, that is about as far as they are going to go with the Southern Interior Mule Deer Strategy. As for the crux of the problems, it sounds like the only ones having problems is Region 8 because they shut down the season before the deer hunting gets good and therefore, you have hunters whining that there are no big bucks left. Not seeing the big pictutre they will whine to have more restrictions on themselves instead of realizing that they actually need less. ;)

dana
11-20-2011, 10:32 PM
They ain't all zipperlipped, as I have heard of many of them. ;)

boxhitch
11-21-2011, 05:44 AM
you have hunters whining that there are no big bucks left.

They ain't all zipperlipped, as I have heard of many of them
Most people can see past the whining, including Gov't
Nobody in 8 is asking for more restrictions cept maybe the Grand Forks area
I'm not sure that the current md closure date in 8 has anything to do with science.

Calvin
11-21-2011, 11:43 AM
dont think they need to shorten the 4pt but shorten up the any buck in oct

Gateholio
11-21-2011, 12:03 PM
dont think they need to shorten the 4pt but shorten up the any buck in oct

Why is there a need to do this?

Husky7mm
11-21-2011, 12:16 PM
I bet because the season closes in region 8 on the 10th there is MORE big bucks there than anywhere else. Just got to pray for a big snow or get a season extention, that would be a good season change for them and thats about it.

Jagermeister
11-21-2011, 12:59 PM
The openings for Regions 3, 5 and 8 should be haromonized. If that means closing the seasons to the earlier date of one region, so be it. However, we should be encouraging as much hunting opportunity time as we can and that means harmonizing the openings to the later date of the latest region.
Could it be said that the Region 8 biologist's decision to limit the mule deer opening is not made on biological criterion, but rather from political pressure?

Stone Sheep Steve
11-21-2011, 01:02 PM
The openings for Regions 3, 5 and 8 should be haromonized. If that means closing the seasons to the earlier date of one region, so be it. However, we should be encouraging as much hunting opportunity time as we can and that means harmonizing the openings to the later date of the latest region.
Could it be said that the Region 8 biologist's decision to limit the mule deer opening is not made on biological criterion, but rather from political pressure?

The Reg 8 bio thinks all the mule deer in Reg 8 are dumb. He saw a rut-crazed buck once on the road that paid him no att'n.
He can't seem to get that image out of his head:?.

They MUST be protected!:confused:

SSS

aggiehunter
11-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Walks with Deer.....imagine if the Region 3 closing date was Nov. 10th....do you think there would be a big die off.....

GoatGuy
11-21-2011, 09:41 PM
I bet because the season closes in region 8 on the 10th there is MORE big bucks there than anywhere else. Just got to pray for a big snow or get a season extention, that would be a good season change for them and thats about it.

Thinking like that explains why you can't find a big buck.

curt
11-21-2011, 10:15 PM
If there are any concerns about region 3 late season pressure it is a direct result of the neighboring regions being closed too early. I have a hard time beleiving anybody who hunts region 3 would like to see the season shortened thats like asking someone if they want the government to take more taxes!?!? There has'nt been an out cry of concern with population issue's so my question has been for years why is region 8 closing so freaking early harmonizing seasons in the province will balance pressure it's really not that difficult to understand yet all the university degree's seem to struggle with it. BC has many unjustified restrictions that are a direct result of many hunters throwing in the towel, most of my dads generation cant be bothered anymore its too "damn much trouble"!? There has been a serious decline in our numbers over the years and the fact that the seasons are shorter, fewer animals alotted to us from the ministry to hunt, road closures, elevation restriction, LEH odds are brutual the list goes on and on wtf are these people thinking has been my question for more than a few yrs!?

dana
11-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Curt,
That is a bang on post! It seems the only one truly looking at the big picture and giving hunters what they want, 'opportunity' is Region 3. Like I have said numerous times, Region 3 has had it's current seasons pretty much set in stone since 1994. We still have a ton of deer to hunt and on top of that the biggest bucks in the province are annually taken from Region 3. If Region 3 can do it for almost 20 years, why can't the other Regions? If harmonization is indeed a must, then why would one expect hunters to give up the great hunting in Region 3 and loose opportunity so that they can align with Regions that don't seem to have any balls? IMO, either those other Regions align to match Region 3 and give hunters more opportunity or else throw the whole harmonization BS out the window and keep er as is.

fireguy
11-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Dana I think we in region 8 agree with you but we can't seem to even get our season extended to the 15th of November let alone the same as region 3's dates. We can't even get the archery season moved to start on the 10th of November because it has been determined that there isn't the deer population to support this move. The reason I posted the other thread was to see what people would be willing to give up in order to get our seasons more aligned with yours in region 3 and all I got was there is lots of deer here and no reason to change anything. Sometimes you might just have to give a little to get a lot in return. I have said before that I am looking forward to the real season here in region 8 that starts on the 25th and until then am just spending my time scouting for the opening of archery season.

cariboobill
11-22-2011, 07:43 AM
I think the seasons in all regions needs to be looked at. There is far too much power for a MOE Regional Managers, like here in Region 5, when they choose to shorten a season based on a commercial interest and not our animal abundance. An now we struggle to get some or any additional opportunities.

Any discussion of shortening seasons should not be taken lightly, I have lived to see what happens in my Region 5.

CB

Fishhound
11-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Good post, Curt
I live in region 8 and I think that harmonizing the regions would be good, but would make little difference because I think most people can't be bothered to go hunting when it gets cold.

I was in region 3 on Sunday the only people we seen were loggers moving machinery, we shot 2 mule deer (1 LEH doe) before we even got to where we were going.

There certainly was no shortage of deer where we were, I lost count, wish I was in better shape as there were a couple of real bruts out there

horshur
11-22-2011, 09:52 AM
I thought it was going to be a problem but the last couple seasons it is pretty clear it it wasn't......

the first year of the season change I was sure I was right...the roads above my place looked as if there had been a military excercise going on but I think the transient section of hunters are really prone to chasing rumours and have a herd mentality so they come in mass. Poor weather conditions, winterkill, a new rumour and they are drifting somewhere else..which appears to be the case this year a few new rumours of logging blocks or burns where 180 bucks come to die have caught the attention of the masses.
From my point of view they should leave things alone.

SHAKER
11-22-2011, 02:00 PM

I don't like to admit it but your right on.... Some of us reg. 8 guys like to shoot ourselves in the foot on the "We're going to kill more Deer" and "not in my backyard" attitude. Well what the ^#*&% are we out there for? and we can only harvest 1 Mule deer! Sorry to pull region 8 up again..... Stick to your guns region neighbors!

mark
11-22-2011, 08:34 PM
I don't like to admit it but your right on.... Some of us reg. 8 guys like to shoot ourselves in the foot on the "We're going to kill more Deer" and "not in my backyard" attitude. Well what the ^#*&% are we out there for? and we can only harvest 1 Mule deer! Sorry to pull region 8 up again..... Stick to your guns region neighbors!

This post makes alot of sense.
The regional limit is 1 deer, if you cant get your muley in the 2 month season we have, another month probably wont help you either!
I think a harmonizing of the lower regions and a provincial muley limit of 2 instead of 3 would make more sense......just a thought!

SHAKER
11-22-2011, 10:26 PM
It's probably your choice if you don't pull the tigger in the 3 months we have..... they guys that don't cut their tag are the same ones who may or may not cut their tag if the season goes a little longer. Point being your allowed only 1 Mule deer in our region lets at least get a crack at the good ones if we so choose. Sorry to chime in now but I was just watching the region 8 bra snapping thead before it got locked.

dana
11-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Dana I think we in region 8 agree with you but we can't seem to even get our season extended to the 15th of November let alone the same as region 3's dates. We can't even get the archery season moved to start on the 10th of November because it has been determined that there isn't the deer population to support this move. The reason I posted the other thread was to see what people would be willing to give up in order to get our seasons more aligned with yours in region 3 and all I got was there is lots of deer here and no reason to change anything. Sometimes you might just have to give a little to get a lot in return. I have said before that I am looking forward to the real season here in region 8 that starts on the 25th and until then am just spending my time scouting for the opening of archery season.
I firmly believe those that are making the decisions in both Region 8 and Region 5 are not basing those decisions on science, but rather personal feelings. Jury's methods have stood the test of time in Region 3 and proved that what he is doing WORKS! I don't know what more to tell ya other than pound on your managers with Region 3 as your example of proper mule deer management.

coach
11-22-2011, 11:22 PM
This post makes alot of sense.
The regional limit is 1 deer, if you cant get your muley in the 2 month season we have, another month probably wont help you either!
I think a harmonizing of the lower regions and a provincial muley limit of 2 instead of 3 would make more sense......just a thought!

At the risk of sounding completely ridiculous.. I think there's a better chance of not pulling the trigger if the season in region 8 was the same as region 3. With an extra month to hunt, I would be far more likely to let the smaller bucks live in October in hopes of finding a decent four point between November 1st and December 10th. 10 days between the end of "any buck" and the end of the 4 point season is a very short window - especially when my family loves to eat deer meat. As a result, I usually pull the trigger early to avoid going without. I agree with Mark, a 2 muley provincial bag limit would be just fine.

coach
11-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Good post, Curt
I live in region 8 and I think that harmonizing the regions would be good, but would make little difference because I think most people can't be bothered to go hunting when it gets cold.

I was in region 3 on Sunday the only people we seen were loggers moving machinery, we shot 2 mule deer (1 LEH doe) before we even got to where we were going.

There certainly was no shortage of deer where we were, I lost count, wish I was in better shape as there were a couple of real bruts out there

I'm sure there are many reasons you don't see as many people out in November. Cold weather may be a factor, as is the fact that many people have already killed their deer. Spreading hunting pressure out may be a social desire, but there's no doubt in my mind a longer season helps us all to have more space. We have talked about the concept of harmonized elk and moose seasons for exactly the same reason. The region 3 model has proven itself and its time the other regions consider aligning seasons to match - provided the animal population can handle it.

jeff
11-23-2011, 12:08 AM
At the risk of sounding completely ridiculous.. I think there's a better chance of not pulling the trigger if the season in region 8 was the same as region 3. With an extra month to hunt, I would be far more likely to let the smaller bucks live in October in hopes of finding a decent four point between November 1st and December 10th. 10 days between the end of "any buck" and the end of the 4 point season is a very short window - especially when my family loves to eat deer meat. As a result, I usually pull the trigger early to avoid going without. I agree with Mark, a 2 muley provincial bag limit would be just fine.

coach, how could upping the bag limit to 2 mulies per year possibly be better for future population..that cant make sense,,explain please

coach
11-23-2011, 12:10 AM
coach, how could upping the bag limit to 2 mulies per year possibly be better for future population..that cant make sense,,explain please

Jeff - your meds are having an effect! It would actually be lowering from 3 to 2. Only 1 per region. Currently, you can shoot 3 deer province wide. All three can be Mule deer.

jeff
11-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Jeff - your meds are having an effect! It would actually be lowering from 3 to 2. Only 1 per region. Currently, you can shoot 3 deer province wide. All three can be Mule deer.

hahaha ,what a meatball i am ,sorry coach i read it wrong ,,oh oh i nsulted myself ..my bad..

Fisher-Dude
11-23-2011, 06:58 AM

What would lowering the provincial bag limit to 2 MD do, when it is agreed that male harvest of deer has no effect on population levels unless the buck : doe ratio drops below 5 : 100, while 20 : 100 is being achieved basically everywhere in BC with the current 3 deer limit?

Methinks it's a social proposal, not a scientific one. :wink:

Weatherby Fan
11-23-2011, 07:50 AM
What would lowering the provincial bag limit to 2 MD do, when it is agreed that male harvest of deer has no effect on population levels unless the buck : doe ratio drops below 5 : 100, while 20 : 100 is being achieved basically everywhere in BC with the current 3 deer limit?

Hey Fisherdude

Methinks if you just post that a few more times (buck/doe ratios) it will start to sink in,

And if you could go over habitat enhancement (tree thinning
programs,natural and controled burns) several more times also,

This will help paint a clearer picture for the future of any problem areas we may have in B.C.

SHAKER
11-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Nice to see we're all getting along now, this is some good constructive thoughts to bring into the morning rant in the shop. Only 5 more Bears to get ready for the tanner so I'll be avoiding the capeing knife for a bit this morning.

coach
11-23-2011, 08:58 AM

Point taken. Pages and pages of rhetoric are starting to affect me. Methinks you are right. My original thought was to encourage more whitetail harvest - but there are likely better ways to achieve this.

horshur
11-23-2011, 09:43 AM
you guy's do know that bag limits don't have to be met they just can't be exceeded?

I don't think but once I have cut three mule deer tags but that year it was good to have meat in the freezer......

instead of asking for restrictions why not just resrict yourself cause one day circumstance may come that it would be best to fill your limit and with mandated restriction that becomes a matter of breaking the law rather then doing what is right..

coach
11-23-2011, 09:59 AM
You make a good point, Horshur. With four carnivorous kids at home, I achieve my 3 deer annual limit each year and it all gets eaten. It's nice to keep seasons, limits and options open. Due to travel alone, three mulies in one year would be expensive to pursue. As a result, it's always a combination of the two species.

aggiehunter
11-23-2011, 10:19 AM
We should all believe in studies right??????? Not what we see and know???

Mr. Dean
11-23-2011, 10:40 AM
I've hunted reg 3 since 2006.
If ANYTHING needs addressing it's whitetail invasion and wolves. And I'd put the wolves on top of the list.

WTS, I hunt the mountains surrounding Adams Lk. and while it's easy to find solace in there, deer can be tough to 'see' if your basically just driving the roads.
Hold your head out the window and it's easily seen that the deer are thriving well. :wink:

Most Hunters that I bump into (nearly all) complain about lack of bucks.
I swear it's because of hunting style rather than numbers.

I have not noticed a measurable difference in muley's in them MU's since I've been stomping around there.
I only hunt the early season and never the rut. IMO it's fine as is.

jeff
11-23-2011, 10:53 AM
I've hunted reg 3 since 2006.
If ANYTHING needs addressing it's whitetail invasion and wolves. And I'd put the wolves on top of the list.

WTS, I hunt the mountains surrounding Adams Lk. and while it's easy to find solace in there, deer can be tough to 'see' if your basically just driving the roads.
Hold your head out the window and it's easily seen that the deer are thriving well. :wink:

Most Hunters that I bump into (nearly all) complain about lack of bucks.
I swear it's because of hunting style rather than numbers.

I have not noticed a measurable difference in muley's in them MU's since I've been stomping around there.
I only hunt the early season and never the rut. IMO it's fine as is.

absolutlyright , predator numbers are up ,u didnt mention cougar though . sawmy first wolf in reg 8 this year .seen lots on the island and in reg 7

Mr. Dean
11-23-2011, 11:03 AM
absolutlyright , predator numbers are up ,u didnt mention cougar though . sawmy first wolf in reg 8 this year .seen lots on the island and in reg 7

I didn't because I can't.
I know their thriving well in there but as to a population explosion, I don't know.

Lottsa Lynx though...

Wolves on the other hand; WOWZERS!!
Them things seem to be shitting out deer everywhere..... Last 3 or 4 years especially.

Fisher-Dude
11-23-2011, 01:12 PM
you guy's do know that bag limits don't have to be met they just can't be exceeded?

I don't think but once I have cut three mule deer tags but that year it was good to have meat in the freezer......

instead of asking for restrictions why not just resrict yourself cause one day circumstance may come that it would be best to fill your limit and with mandated restriction that becomes a matter of breaking the law rather then doing what is right..

Yep. Trying to remember if I have ever taken 3 MD in a season. Maybe once, IIRC.

If we want more WT harvest, increase the seasons and bag limits on WTs. And that includes increasing the regional limits like R3 has and R4 is proposing to encourage locals to "burn a tag" on a WT doe. Unfortunately, R8 bios nixed this idea, for reasons still unclear to most of us.

Mr. Dean
11-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Yep. Trying to remember if I have ever taken 3 MD in a season. Maybe once, IIRC.

If we want more WT harvest, increase the seasons and bag limits on WTs. And that includes increasing the regional limits like R3 has and R4 is proposing to encourage locals to "burn a tag" on a WT doe. Unfortunately, R8 bios nixed this idea, for reasons still unclear to most of us.

The WTD season is pretty short. I personally would like to see it open up earlier in the 4pt season and extend into the any buck season.
The way it is now, I know few that take advantage of it and question if it is being utilized.

mark
11-23-2011, 07:47 PM

It was my idea, forcing us to take at least 1 whitey if we want 3 deer. Save a muley, axe a whitey!!!! Ive been hearing that the muley limit should be reduced to 1, im certainly not in favor of that????

Ive bagged 3 mulies tons of times in my life, reducing the prov limit to 2 would save a mulie and make me kill a whitey instead. As I said, just a thought.

The WTD season is pretty short. I personally would like to see it open up earlier in the 4pt season and extend into the any buck season.
The way it is now, I know few that take advantage of it and question if it is being utilized.

the season is underutilized because it cuts into one of our buck tags, want dead does, give us an extra tag for a whitey doe only!

Fisher-Dude
11-23-2011, 08:08 PM
It was my idea, forcing us to take at least 1 whitey if we want 3 deer. Save a muley, axe a whitey!!!! Ive been hearing that the muley limit should be reduced to 1, im certainly not in favor of that????

Ive bagged 3 mulies tons of times in my life, reducing the prov limit to 2 would save a mulie and make me kill a whitey instead. As I said, just a thought.

the season is underutilized because it cuts into one of our buck tags, want dead does, give us an extra tag for a whitey doe only!

But, "saving" a mule deer buck does nothing to enhance mule deer populations.

Want to kill more WT, then lengthen the season, including the antlerless season, and increase bag limits on WTs.

Changing mule deer buck bag limits won't increase mule deer populations. Shooting more "fantails" will help (my 86 year old neighbour shot his "fantail" doe this year). :wink:

I like the extra WT doe tag idea. Bonus tag.

dana
11-23-2011, 09:39 PM
I have been told the Region 3 boys tried to get whitetail does opened in Nov but were shot down from Victoria due to the whole 'harmonization' concept. IMO, the antlerless seasons need to be flipped. Give the kids the entire season from Sept 1 through Dec 10 and give the rest of us Nov 1-Nov 30. More does will be harvested and yup, they can handle that increase. I know I could have filled a whitetail doe tag numerous times since Nov 1. Today, I did do my part with the whitetail buck population. ;)